Does anyone know which LNER 4-4-0 this is supposed to be?

Hi, I have acquired the LNER 4-4-0 shown below. It is a fairly typical 1960s amateur attempt to make something not available RTR, numbered 2672 which accords to a D11/2 but it looks more like an attempt at a D49 Shire/Hunt, however any other thoughts would be appreciated......many thanks

IMG_20200209_141714.jpg

3 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

It's a D16, mid '60's the Model Railway Constructor ran many articles on "Cross Kiting" This one uses bits from a Triang B12 and L1

:smile_mini2: Shows how far we've come.

P

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

... mid '60's the Model Railway Constructor ran many articles on "Cross Kitting" This one uses bits from a Triang B12 and L1

And how inspiring such things were. There was however a difficulty. When youthful oik presented himself in H.A. Blunt and enquired whether he might purchase mechanism X and body Y as separate pieces, as described by the 'expert' in a magazine; the reply was extremely blunt: sold complete or not at all...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

38 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And how inspiring such things were. There was however a difficulty. When youthful oik presented himself in H.A. Blunt and enquired whether he might purchase mechanism X and body Y as separate pieces, as described by the 'expert' in a magazine; the reply was extremely blunt: sold complete or not at all...

All parts could be ordered as Spares from any Triang service dealer.

2 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

All parts could be ordered as Spares from any Triang service dealer.

Possibly Blunts weren't, I have no recollection? Only a kid at the time. The shop policy wasn't particularly helpful, it was very clear that cash on the nail was required. I so wanted a Trix A2 but didn't have the carefully conserved dough in my pocket at the critical moment when one appeared in stock. Would they hold it for me?  By the time I had cycled home and returned it had gone.

My first metal kits were purchased from Passmore models in Coulsdon (1969/70). 

I remember going there looking for a Wills K3, which he didn't have in stock.

However, he showed me a new GEM kit of a D21.

It suited me, and was designed for the Triang L1 chassis. He didn't have a chassis in stock, but broke a RTR L1 to sell me the chassis, saying that someone would buy the body.

Sadly, such service is long gone, like the model shop, which is now a hairdressers.

Thane of Fife

PS; I found a K3, a couple of weeks later at Alex Bowie's modelmania.

• Like 3

Hi all,

The only thing I can say with certainty is that the running number is wrong. As you pointed out it looks like a possible Shire or Hunt. But 2672 is for a D11Director class engine Baron of Bradwardine. It is a post 1948 number. The D11 was originally numbered 6379 pre 1948 and then numbered for BR as 62672. The engine was sent for scrapping in September 61.

I know this does not tell you what engine it definitely is, But I thought you might be interested. All the details are here.

https://www.lner.info/locos/D/d11.php

Edited by cypherman
  • Thanks 1

It reminds me of one I made for my son from an L1 chassis and a shortened B12 body about 18 years ago. Any similarity to a D 16/3 was purely in the eye of the beholder and it soon gained a blue colour scheme and a number 2 to look even less like Edward than it previously did a D16.

Mine did at least have a decent length bogie reach bar and the bogie centred under the chimney. 

It looks like the number has one digit wrong, 2572 was a D16.

H A Blunt at Mill Hill Circus was a wonderful shop, if memory serves me correctly ran by two brothers, a smaller version of the Harrow Model shop where both RTR and kits/parts were sold. In those days near enough was good enough, more exotic items were ordered from the W&H book. How times have changed.

Thankfully where I live there is a super model railway shop which seems to be thriving, but very few can say this. But we now are served very well with companies on the internet, many offering a next day service

Back to the chassis of one loco and the body from another, other than brushes and a few screws spares for RTR locos were a rarity. I remember looking at Wills kits which at that time required a RTR chassis, only the wealthy could afford to buy a s/h loco (let alone a new one) and discard the body in favour of a whitemetal kit .  Now chassis are two a penny

• RMweb Premium

I was at university with the Heir of Blunt, who was causing great family disappointment by going for a lucrative legal career rather than taking on the shop. There was another chap in our circle by the name of Bland. The Heir was on one occasion heard to say he preferred to be blunt than bland...