Motts Lane - a foray into EM

Southwich

36 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

What a beast! Top job Will, now get it on a heavy freight and use the drive lock feature to full effect!! My lordzzzzzzz :music:

Jack.

Thanks very much Jack! I’ve been loving the drive lock today, the stay alive is probably the best investment I’ve made on a loco. Just need to get some wagons finished for 698 to pull...

On 27/06/2020 at 21:48, dj_crisp said:

Very very nice!

Thanks very much Will!

Following a recommendation for upping the power to the electromagnets, it now all works a lot better! A quick video of testing with 37698:

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 8

8CDCCDBE-258E-40D4-83C5-9552EE7405F6.jpeg.8533cd547d861c06389944fde892c72e.jpeg

A serious line up from yesterday evening’s running session; 37698, 56006 and 47818. These have all been fitted with Biffo sound and had LAISDCC stay alives fitted to ensure smooth running.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all, 

Not much work has been done on Mitts Lane recently unfortunately, a combination of work and generally being busy has meant I haven’t had much modelling time. Where I have had time I’ve been sorting stock for the layout; primarily in the form of 37114 which had had Shawplan etched windscreens fitted:

0D184E5B-C0F8-4285-8F37-F436A40C9194.jpeg.ec54fdf719f4e159ae28d4777c2dc0f8.jpeg

85E9C9AC-395C-4E17-ABFB-2CB54829C19D.jpeg.6b0ef7499a04470f4d85136d8783c631.jpeg

Hoping to have the first laser cut sample of my station building over the next few weeks so that should motivate me to crack on with the layout.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2020 at 22:10, rob D2 said:

Following with interest as I’m also an EWS era modeller, of which there doesn’t seem many on RMweb 

Thanks Rob - love a bit of EWS!

410C1E3B-2531-4524-BC01-1C85C2CA1AE4.jpeg.2a3541912b11181b0303417d84c908d8.jpeg

Progress so far on 37114!

Kind regards, 

Will

• Like 9

On 09/08/2020 at 22:24, d winpenny said:

Cracking job you’ve done there

david

Thanks David much appreciated.

26 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Looks good Will! How did you get the colour match?

Did you 'feather' in the cab windows and roof to match with the airbrush?

Guy

Thanks Guy - second coat completed yesterday evening:

95C092CB-CA48-4F29-BF46-49FF32D07463.jpeg.97fe4489936ade50a9c97a32b7e668e9.jpeg

I used a rough 20% Railmatch Frame dirt/30% Precision EWS maroon/50% white spirit through the airbrush. Took me all Sunday morning to achieve the right mix but got there in the end. It’s pretty unnoticeable now. I completely redid the whole roof and bonnets using the cantrail stripe as the divide between the original colour and the new roof colour. It’s had two coats but needs a final top coat this afternoon.

Hope that helps!

Will

• Like 2

On 30/06/2020 at 21:59, Southwich said:

Thanks very much Will!

Following a recommendation for upping the power to the electromagnets, it now all works a lot better! A quick video of testing with 37698:

Kind regards,

Will

Your locos are absolutely beautiful - such good weathering - and the sound is really adding to it :)

I couldn't help but notice the loco and wagon are jumping up a bit as they go through the turnout in this video though - perhaps it might be worth checking for gauge tight-spots or ballast clogging a flange way or something?

J

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

Your locos are absolutely beautiful - such good weathering - and the sound is really adding to it :)

I couldn't help but notice the loco and wagon are jumping up a bit as they go through the turnout in this video though - perhaps it might be worth checking for gauge tight-spots or ballast clogging a flange way or something?

J

Thanks Justin that’s very kind of you to say so! I’m still learning so hopefully can continue to improve my weathering and sound fitting skills. I’m really pleased personally how 37698 came out.

A very good point and it’s been on the snag list for a while. I think it’s blobs of solder joining the rails causing the sudden jumps as you say. I hope so as opposed to the gauge being on the tighter side! I’m hoping to get the layout out this week so will get the files/dremel out to sort. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

I haven’t had the layout setup in a while due to various work commitments. 60076 arrived this weekend from Grimley/Boxenby:

75654608-813D-43BD-8999-D493DA8B3EEB.jpeg.96a8f1fc6076c8017cca3de3b55f76d4.jpeg

After converting to EM, I’ve fitted 076 with Biffo sound, a stay alive and an EM1/Sugarcube combination. All came from @Richard Croft - next day delivery. Awesome service! 

Two quick clips of 076 on the layout:

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 6

Very nice indeed! The Hornby 60 is still my favourite minimal modelling model - they just look great.

Funningly enough I was just playing around with my loadhaul 60 really trying to justify how it could end up in the South West or any of my future layouts - but it's hard to not to keep it!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Very nice indeed! The Hornby 60 is still my favourite minimal modelling model - they just look great.

Funningly enough I was just playing around with my loadhaul 60 really trying to justify how it could end up in the South West or any of my future layouts - but it's hard to not to keep it!

Easy. At least one load haul got to St blazey on the stoke clay.

ive seen pics of it - 038 I think it was 

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Easy. At least one load haul got to St blazey on the stoke clay.

ive seen pics of it - 038 I think it was 

8 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Looks like 025 got down that way too, pic from Flickr:

60025 - St.Blazey.

Need to get on with the Loadhaul grid...

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 4

563A8E36-C57D-4B56-8E68-A2487C1C69BC.jpeg.c376a8cc32fc64f2f82e3aadd3fe0bb1.jpeg75F0DD60-0B21-48D3-8F50-18CEC0E5CE2F.jpeg.1cf55f3d0632380f7424608c86b926d3.jpeg

Two 33s have arrived today at Motts Lane. Meteor was an eBay purchase which was delivered today, and Swordfish was from my local modelshop for £54. I wasn’t levering without it! Now to order some Shawplan bits and a Caroline for Swordfish...

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I haven't had a great deal of time on the layout of late, mainly due to work. However, last night the layout was fully set up and I had a bit of a running session with a few locos. Mainly 37698 as seen here in Mott's Lane yard:

IMG_7086.jpg.da5a0bec4d7e57c544907c47e4c70b7d.jpg

I must admit I do absolutely love 698. That Loadhaul livery is beautiful! 

As well as my new Hattons shed as can be seen running around the layout here:

The 66 has been converted to EM and I've glued the axle boxes to the side frames just to ensure great running. The model is absolutely superb and sounds great (albeit a great sounding 66 ;)). The model will get some proper 14mm EM wheels once I can get hold of some and could do with a stay alive adding as well. 

I'll have a larger update coming soon once I've made some more progress on the layout extension/general refresh.

Thanks for everyone's continued interest in the layout.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 7

13 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

698 is class... but I admit I rather like your hattons shed... even though its a shed ;)

Thanks Will that’s very kind. Both need some proper EM wheels (adding to the ever growing modelling to do list!) I’m not a huge shed fan in real life like yourself, however the model is absolutely superb. The sound is on a different level! Will we potentially be seeing one at Bisley?

13 hours ago, lyneux said:

Good to see your modelling mojo back Will!

Don't let work rob you of your ambition (isn't that a Reservoir Dogs quote?).

Cheers,

Guy

Thanks Guy much appreciated! I’m not too sure, however unfortunately without work there’s no modelling ambition (or budget!).

Kind regards,

Will

Just a quick update on the layout extension. In late September I had a very enjoyable day picking up an additional board for the layout from Tim Horn. I also managed to obtain his prototype bridge, which is absolutely stunning and perfect for the end of the layout! So a big thanks to Tim for that and the superb board. I’m much happier with the scenic break now, as the layout now properly transitions from the scenery to the fiddle yard. 

Following the additional board, the layout is now 9ft x 1.5ft, which I think is a nice size for a decent run. I’ve started overhauling the boards as they were looking a bit tired, with the right hand board of the three being first up as it had the new track section on it. It’s been painted a very dark navy purely because I had a pot of the wall paint left over from painting one of our walls that colour earlier in the summer! The fascia has also been fitted to this board. Just need to sort the other two boards and fit the backscenes to finish the upgrades off.

As well as cosmetic updates I’ve also started rewiring the layout. In all honesty it was a bit of a mess so a few hours with some cable ties later and I’m much happier. I’ve also fitted a proper control panel from Model Railway Solutions, using the megapoints mimic panel control system. I’m very impressed! The control panel needs painting and the track plan gluing to it.

Onto a few photos of the extension:

522B2AF2-E44A-4554-ABAF-018A467EEAF8.jpeg.43fa6f8819f8fa55ca9741100f5da415.jpeg

187405FC-299A-4081-AFDE-6B6CABAB0BD9.jpeg.111c487bceada2d10025a13df142b69b.jpeg

7A56F630-122A-42EA-B017-E42B585DCEAC.jpeg.63306148cee497d5a7706b5377947511.jpeg

As you can see from the extension the track building is all but complete (check rails, tie bars and cosmetic chairs still to add), so hoping to get it wired up over the weekend. A big thanks to @dj_crisp for supplying the double slip as it allows a lot of operational interest for the layout! The B8 point is over the two board joins however is solid enough. That’ll be a nice challenge wiring that all up across two boards!

Hopefully the layout will come on a lot more over the winter months given it’s too cold/wet to use the airbrush outside.

Thanks again for the continued interest in the project! Looking forward to getting some trains running.

Will

• Like 11