Gopher

3 hours ago, Calidore said:

All lovely scenes @Gopher. The post office and the industrial units shown in the post following are wonderful. I said similar before, but managing to keep an eye on the details like the overgrown greenery and enamel signs on the retaining wall on a layout of this size is really impressive. Looking forward to some more photos.

Adam

Thanks so much Adam.  I find I keep tinkering with the layout and adding small details here and there.  All helped by the quality of some of the kits and scenic materials available.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I do like a Barton.  Used to cycle past their depot early 70s.

Paul.

Thanks Paul - I think buses were more interesting back in the day when there was a multitude of bus companies with different liveries (albeit a lot of them were red )

Last new building for Station Road.   Yep - yet another Petite Properties kit .

Second photo shows new building in situ next to the new post office.  I also recycled the shop with the upside down first floor.  Despite this flaw (when I constructed it),   I did not have the heart to dispose of it.  So it is now hidden away on Station Road, where I don't notice it so much. 

I also moved the parcels office at the station - now at the other end (third photo).

All that is left is to try and tackle the rough road surface using a mix of filler as suggested by Mr Wolf earlier in this thread           

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

• Like 13

6 hours ago, DSC said:

Also a Petite Properties junkie. Fun to build, convincing and sturdy finished product, and easy to modify. 

Totally agree DSC, and glad I am not the only addict.  When I started on my current building replacement projects, I only intended to replace my poorer quality buildings (mainly my scratch built efforts).  Then the addiction took hold - so I now find myself actively looking for an excuse to add more Petite Property buildings.  Which sort of explains why I have just purchased their station building.   I am not convinced it is the right station for my layout,  but it is a lovely looking building, probably better suited to a branch line.  No matter - I'll make it then decide.  Maybe I need a rota to change the station building weekly - (see how the addiction addles your brain).         

On 29/05/2020 at 19:16, 5BarVT said:

I do like a Barton.  Used to cycle past their depot early 70s.

Paul.

My late Father-in-law was transport manager at Bartons for several years.

• Like 1

Sorry once you build one Petite Property thats it you have to build more and extend the layout to accomodate more ,I did.Station building is a fine  kit and goes together well looks well on your layout finnishing options are endless ,like the finnished shop.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Sorry once you build one Petite Property thats it you have to build more and extend the layout to accomodate more ,I did.Station building is a fine  kit and goes together well looks well on your layout finnishing options are endless ,like the finnished shop.

Thanks Imsforever.   Extend the layout - Eureka.  I wonder if my wife will notice if I knock the wall down to the adjacent room.  I think it is a supporting wall so house may fall down.  (I think she may notice that).  Yes I am looking forward to building the station kit.  

Warship Class 43  - Zealous, travelling light engine to Dewchurch.  I have weathered this model, added a driver,  and fitted a Mr Sound Guy sound decoder, and decent speaker.  Some nice sounds and driving functions.  If you advance the throttle quickly from a standing start you get some lovely thrash, to simulate the loco starting a heavy train, it then creeps forward slowly gaining speed.

I know I have said it before but there are some amazing aftermarket sound projects available, and the latest generation of speakers enhance the sounds.  Especially with steam engines where to my ears the earlier projects lacked the bass sounds of the real thing.  I know sound fitted locos are not to everyone's taste.  I became interested when I switched to DCC when I built the current layout.   So another addiction  (to go alongside my Petite Properties addiction).  Life was easier when all I was addicted to was wine, women and song (or sex and drugs and rock and roll) - oh and cars, oh and football !            

IMG_4106.JPG

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_4112.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Which area did Barton cover ?  Was it mainly the Midlands ?

I first came across them when we moved to Nottingham in ‘72, their depot was in Attenborough, but they did do some long distance services e.g. Newcastle to Nottingham. 

Paul.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I first came across them when we moved to Nottingham in ‘72, their depot was in Attenborough, but they did do some long distance services e.g. Newcastle to Nottingham. 

Paul.

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I remember Barton's having a depot in Leicester in the 70's, not far from the old Great Central station.

Thanks Paul and Mr Wolf.  So East/Central Midlands(ish).  I was not sure when I bought the bus, but hoped it was not too out of place on a West Midlands(ish) layout.  Anyway - it has now been replaced by a Rapido West Midlands Passenger Transport  Guy Arab.   

Midland Red (Birmingham Midland Motor Omnibus) is a safe bet, their D9 double deckers were everywhere at one time and it is rumoured London Transport pinched a lot of the design for the Routemaster. Models are available!

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

Which area did Barton cover ?  Was it mainly the Midlands ?

His office was in Chilwell, Notts at their head office but he covered all of their routes as far as I know.