Gopher

You might paint the last 9 inches (3mm) of the rear mudguard flat white. It was a wartime blackout measure that persisted for safety's sake well into the 1960s. Then of course you can apply a scale 1" dot of red paint to represent the rear reflector! :D

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You might paint the last 9 inches (3mm) of the rear mudguard flat white. It was a wartime blackout measure that persisted for safety's sake well into the 1960s. Then of course you can apply a scale 1" dot of red paint to represent the rear reflector! :D

Yes good idea Mr Wolf.  The rear reflector might be a challenge though.   I think a dot of red paint on the end of a pin might do the job.  I think even then it will be a tad over 1" - but whose going to know apart from you and me, and I fully trust you not to spill the beans :good_mini:    

• Funny 2

Phew - that's put my mind at rest.  I was heading for a sleepless night worrying about this.  I'll get back to worrying about far less important things - i.e. the s*** state of our society,  the future of civilisation etc.    

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Back in Black  (Good Album) - repainted Police bike.  The rear mud guard does have an exact scaled down  1" red reflector, took me hours of work to get it correct, burning the midnight oil etc.   Would I lie to you ?.  Oh O.K it has a dab of red paint.     

IMG_4619.JPG

• Like 11

Coming on well its amazing what you can find to do  even dabs of paint !   I have rebuilt the trackwork on my layout and I think have made an improvement also moving the location to Scotland near Perth have new ballast plus proper signage had to do something I was bored.Were do your services run to and are you adding new ones ?Chris

19 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Coming on well its amazing what you can find to do  even dabs of paint !   I have rebuilt the trackwork on my layout and I think have made an improvement also moving the location to Scotland near Perth have new ballast plus proper signage had to do something I was bored.Were do your services run to and are you adding new ones ?Chris

Thanks Chris.  Sounds like you have been busy.  I guess if you are modelling post grouping/BR - you can get away with a change of location if you are simply moving within the same geographical area of one of the big four.

My layout is loosely based in the West Midlands.  I imagine Dewchurch  being like Bath Green Park with services either terminating, or changing motive power and/or crew.   It is located somewhere within a Shrewsbury, Hereford, Worcester triangle.  So I run local trains to Shrewsbury, Hereford, Worcester, Gloucester.   Expresses to/from Birmingham and the North, and to/from Bristol, and South Wales.  I imagine the Cathedrals express makes a stop at Dewchurch for an engine change as it travels the Hereford - Paddington route  (totally unrealistic).   Same with the Cornishman  - between Wolverhampton and Cornwall ( slightly more believable).  I also run inter-regional passenger and freights.  All the subject of my imagination, but gives me an excuse to run a variety of trains (mainly Western Region, and Midland) in a late 50s/early 60s time period.    Keeps me off the streets.                

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That looks a proper boggy field! Nice job. PS, you may have to send out a train divided signal, the locomotive seems to have vanished. :scratchhead:

You hear of companies having a staff retention problem,  I have a loco retention problem.  The sods are always trying to get away, or hide from me.  I try  not to take it it personally:crazy:  

Edited by Gopher
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I used to have that problem, back when every manufacturer had their own ideas about how to make a tension lock coupling. 

In the end I adopted a scorched earth policy and sawed off every one of them.

I do admit to owning diesels, I have a GWR railcar.

I also still have one of those old Airfix / Kitmaster railcars with the motorising kit. My other half calls it the "Train of shame". 

Were I to retaliate by reminding her that she still has all of the Harry Potter books, I am reminded how many pairs of shoes she has and how hard she can throw them at me! :scratchhead:

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I used to have that problem, back when every manufacturer had their own ideas about how to make a tension lock coupling. 

In the end I adopted a scorched earth policy and sawed off every one of them.

I do admit to owning diesels, I have a GWR railcar.

I also still have one of those old Airfix / Kitmaster railcars with the motorising kit. My other half calls it the "Train of shame". 

Were I to retaliate by reminding her that she still has all of the Harry Potter books, I am reminded how many pairs of shoes she has and how hard she can throw them at me! :scratchhead:

Yeh I find that when my wife asks me how many locos I have I can normally put her off the scent by asking her how many pairs of shoes, or bags she has hidden away.  My other stock answer is "not as many as I used to have!"  (Come to think of it she uses that response on me, along with the "I have had these ages" in that why didn't you notice sort of tone.).  Not had any shoes thrown at me (yet), still plenty of time though.

Train of shame is a bit harsh.  I have more steam than diesel, but have a soft spot for certain diesels (mainly hydraulics), and DMUs.    

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It's more to do with our warped sense of humour than anything serious. When we first met, she told me that she had a shameful secret, that as a teenager she used to go to the Harry Potter conventions. So I had to admit my inner geek about trains. It was she who encouraged me to start with the model making again as part of her be who you are philosophy. We do torment each other quite a bit and things do occasionally get thrown but it's purely fooling around, not anger. 

Just because you're an adult, have responsibilities and bills to pay, doesn't mean that you should stop being the person you are and enjoying what makes you unique. When you stop doing those things, you're just bumping along through life, waiting to die. It's what kills most relationships.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's more to do with our warped sense of humour than anything serious. When we first met, she told me that she had a shameful secret, that as a teenager she used to go to the Harry Potter conventions. So I had to admit my inner geek about trains. It was she who encouraged me to start with the model making again as part of her be who you are philosophy. We do torment each other quite a bit and things do occasionally get thrown but it's purely fooling around, not anger. 

Just because you're an adult, have responsibilities and bills to pay, doesn't mean that you should stop being the person you are and enjoying what makes you unique. When you stop doing those things, you're just bumping along through life, waiting to die. It's what kills most relationships.

Totally agree, my wife was instrumental in getting me back into modelling after quite a break. Started off making static Tamiya kits, then thought I must try railway modelling again.  She has always been very supportive and interested in my efforts. 

• Friendly/supportive 1