Gopher

To coin a n American phrase: She sounds like a keeper.

Trains, philosophy and relationship advice, this forum has it all. It might be off topic, but I believe that the human aspect on here is as important as sharing the skills and problems of creating a world in miniature. Otherwise we might as well get everything from a how to book and work in isolation. Which wouldn't do us or the hobby much good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Gopher said:

Yeh I find that when my wife asks me how many locos I have I can normally put her off the scent by asking her how many pairs of shoes, or bags she has hidden away.  My other stock answer is "not as many as I used to have!"  (Come to think of it she uses that response on me, along with the "I have had these ages" in that why didn't you notice sort of tone.).  Not had any shoes thrown at me (yet), still plenty of time though.

Veronica and I have a deal. She doesn't ask how much I spend on trains and I don't ask how much she spends on shoes and bags.

Simples!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

To coin a n American phrase: She sounds like a keeper.

Trains, philosophy and relationship advice, this forum has it all. It might be off topic, but I believe that the human aspect on here is as important as sharing the skills and problems of creating a world in miniature. Otherwise we might as well get everything from a how to book and work in isolation. Which wouldn't do us or the hobby much good.

Yes I agree, human aspect on here is important.  

My wife is a gem,  especially compared to some of the maniacs I dated before I met her.  It makes life so much easier to have an understanding and supportive partner.  I'd even go as far as to say I doubt I'd have got back into modelling if I'd ended up with some of my previous girl friends.  She even tolerates my guitar playing.       

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Veronica and I have a deal. She doesn't ask how much I spend on trains and I don't ask how much she spends on shoes and bags.

Simples!

That is a win win situation.  I quite enjoy the psychological warfare aspect of such discussions.  I am pretty sure my wife knows the answers to some of the questions she asks me about my modelling.  One of her recent questions is how many locos do I have on pre-order.  She'll ask me every month or so (I think to check for consistent answers).  Of course this gives me the golden opportunity to state I have already told her about such and such loco, in that hurt why haven't you remembered tone  (even if I have not told her).   Actually she is hugely relaxed about the whole thing and just wants me to enjoy the hobby.        

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

You know that you found the right one when she ticks all the boxes. I know that people say nobody's perfect and blah blah. Which is fair enough, but and this is a big one, so many of us have persisted with an unsatisfactory one sided relationship on the grounds that we could do a lot worse! 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You know that you found the right one when she ticks all the boxes

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at your first date; who brought the boxes and who brought the ticks...?

Good point about continuing with hopeless relationships 'for the sake of the kids' or because of the fear of being alone.  We are the lucky ones who have, even if only eventually, found one that works for us.  My squeeze's main complaint is that I spend too much time ignoring her babbling about the shopping or whatever because I'm writing something on here, and she's got a point!

• Friendly/supportive 3

You really wouldn't have wanted to have been a fly on our first date, we went out to the coast on my motorcycle and most of the flies got mashed into the headlamp. :D

I know that she sometimes despairs that I seem to attract complete strangers in the street who want to share their life story and I'm often too polite to make my excuses and run for it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You really wouldn't have wanted to have been a fly on our first date, we went out to the coast on my motorcycle and most of the flies got mashed into the headlamp. :D

I know that she sometimes despairs that I seem to attract complete strangers in the street who want to share their life story and I'm often too polite to make my excuses and run for it!

My wife has the same problem, just seems to attract strangers and their life stories.  I tell her it is because she smiles too much at people.  Where on the other hand my face is set in a permanent frown (although I'm smiling inside).        

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's largely because of what we drive in our case I think. My other half seems to have perfected the art of appearing shy except when with people that she knows. I have noticed that the minute she lets that slip and goes back to her default cheeky smile she has the same problem as me. The amount of women who look either miserable or contriving to be deliberately aloof nowadays is truly depressing. In which case I say we're both lucky.

43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's largely because of what we drive in our case I think. My other half seems to have perfected the art of appearing shy except when with people that she knows. I have noticed that the minute she lets that slip and goes back to her default cheeky smile she has the same problem as me. The amount of women who look either miserable or contriving to be deliberately aloof nowadays is truly depressing. In which case I say we're both lucky.

We are in deed lucky, and agree with your comment about women today.  Many (especially younger) women seem so hung up on their image and latest selfie.  Everything seems so shallow and superficial, not helped by some reality TV shows.     

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Those old diesels had character. They also look better in green I think. Everything was painted blue when I was a kid, I took very little notice of the diesels then. 

I agree.  Like you my main memories are of BR blue diesels. I think the green suited them better, and always liked the maroon on the Westerns.  

Few photos from the archive.

Original coaling plant (Ratio) and BR water crane (Mikes Models).  Now both replaced with a simple (Ratio) coaling stage and hoist, and a Skytrex GWR water crane.   

Original Harewood Halt signal box (Ratio), and upper quadrant signal (Dapol).  Also both replaced with something more typically GWR/Western Region.   

Most of the railway infrastructure changes I make to the layout are generally to give it more of a GWR/Western Region identity.  

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

• Like 6