Gopher

Another from the archive.  Rebuilt West Country class Wincanton.  I don't have this loco anymore, not totally sure why I got rid of it as I quite like the way I have weathered it, and it was a good runner.  One of the drawbacks of my flawed loco policy of one in one out.  I think this made way for un-rebuilt Merchant Navy Clan line.    

IMG_1609.JPG

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I can't say that I have ever seen a model train photographed from that angle before. Nice job, the top picture looks especially convincing, as it is at eye level.

Thanks Mr Wolf.  Given the size of the layout, I find I always end up taking photos from the same angles albeit with different rolling stock in view.  So I try different angles (assuming I can squeeze the camera or my phone into position).  Press the button and hope for the best.  The only editing I do on the photos is to crop some of them or amend the contrast, brightness etc.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Cant get cleaners they all work in car factories etc  and anyway a loco should look well worked.

Yes no doubt that at this time BR struggled to recruit and hang onto low paid shed staff.  Much easier and better paid jobs available.    

Another from the archive.  I've been standardising my figures using Modelu (supported by some Monty's models).  So the two in the photo  have now gone.  It is interesting to compare the size of some of the 4mm figures available.  Some of the white metal ones are quite large,  and do not look right alongside some of the Modlu 3D scanned figures.      

IMG_0451.JPG

• Like 8

Top bit of damp decay there. You even include a scruffy Austin Devon, one of my favourite stew and dumplings kind of ordinary cars from the 40s. That would also be a bit damp and fusty inside. Postcard from a lost world. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Top bit of damp decay there. You even include a scruffy Austin Devon, one of my favourite stew and dumplings kind of ordinary cars from the 40s. That would also be a bit damp and fusty inside. Postcard from a lost world. ;)

Thanks Mr Wolf, I'm always amazed how nature takes over neglected sites, so wanted to try and recreate it on the layout.  I liked the Austin when I first saw it and wanted to add it (suitably weathered) to the layout.  

• Like 1

Always tricky weathering cars, because people generally looked after them, or at least kept them going a lot longer than they do now. I suspect that the paint used on all model cars is a little too glossy, so it looks like a scale 4" thick coat. Just dulling them down a little works wonders.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect!
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Always tricky weathering cars, because people generally looked after them, or at least kept them going a lot longer than they do now. I suspect that the paint used on all model cars is a little too glossy, so it looks like a scale 4" thick coat. Just filling them down a little works wonders.

Yes I agree  - I tend to use a light coat of matt varnish to tone down the very glossy paintwork, and try and pick out the panel lines in a darker colour.   

• Like 2