Gopher

On 19/11/2020 at 18:29, MrWolf said:

Someone needs to get busy with a scythe by the look of that yard! :jester:

Yes - nature is taking over, all gone to pot since nationalisation.   Not to worry it will be a shiny new housing estate by the year 2020, or maybe a shopping mall. 

3 hours ago, Gopher said:

Yes - nature is taking over, all gone to pot since nationalisation.   Not to worry it will be a shiny new housing estate by the year 2020, or maybe a shopping mall. 

Oh well, it's probably for the best.

We are constantly told that we must "embrace change" even if it seems like a totally stupid idea at the time. 

Nanny knows best...:jester:

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Oh well, it's probably for the best.

We are constantly told that we must "embrace change" even if it seems like a totally stupid idea at the time. 

Nanny knows best...:jester:

She/He/It certainly does in this day and age (never sure what language is appropriate when referring to anything which might have a gender).  Life used to be so simple, or maybe it is just me who is simple:scratchhead:

• Funny 1

Some Photos of my latest project.   This is Chris's (Chuffinghell) 3D printed Loriot L wagon kit, available from Shapeways..  Beautifully detailed little kit.  I may have taken some artistic licence but have modelled it as a BR liveried Lowmac.  I think the Loriot Ls were re-labelled Lowmacs after Nationalisation.  If they were not it is too late now, because I am not repainting it and applying new transfers. 

So I plan to add a Bulldozer as a load (once I have made it from a white metal kit).  Be prepared for some cussing and swearing, and moaning and groaning.    

Big thanks to Chris for making his superb design available to plebs like me.      

P.S the transfers may also be incorrect for this wagon, but luckily I don't care. 

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

It looks very good indeed. Luckily I wasn't expecting it to be clean... ;)

I like the slightly mossy looking paint and timber, gives that sense of damp decay which Dewchurch portrays so well.

I am seriously tempted to buy one. However, I must be strong and only spend modelling money on actually getting the layout built instead of amassing stock. 

I am still being mocked by Miss Riding Hood over the 115 unbuilt wagon kits, some of which are older than she is. 

But it would look so good with a white metal 1930s Morris armoured car as a load and I already have that! :blink:

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It looks very good indeed. Luckily I wasn't expecting it to be clean... ;)

I like the slightly mossy looking paint and timber, gives that sense of damp decay which Dewchurch portrays so well.

I am seriously tempted to buy one. However, I must be strong and only spend modelling money on actually getting the layout built instead of amassing stock. 

I am still being mocked by Miss Riding Hood over the 115 unbuilt wagon kits, some of which are older than she is. 

But it would look so good with a white metal 1930s Morris armoured car as a load and I already have that! :blink:

Thanks Mr Wolf,  and go for it.  You can never have too many unbuilt wagon kits, but agree building the layout for them to run on might be a higher priority.  I am afraid that women never understand this approach.       

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Thanks Mr Wolf,  and go for it.  You can never have too many unbuilt wagon kits, but agree building the layout for them to run on might be a higher priority.  I am afraid that women never understand this approach.       

Apologies to any female readers for such a sexist comment.  I will go and cancel myself. :jester:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I find that they understand it better than we do, they just have different priorities.

RRH has only one neck, two ears and two feet.

But many necklaces, earrings and shoes. 

She also has more musical instruments than I have motorcycles.

Perhaps I need to redress the balance.

Any other posters got the courage to have a count up of their kit stash?

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I find that they understand it better than we do, they just have different priorities.

RRH has only one neck, two ears and two feet.

But many necklaces, earrings and shoes. 

She also has more musical instruments than I have motorcycles.

Perhaps I need to redress the balance.

Any other posters got the courage to have a count up of their kit stash?

Ah necklaces, earings, shoes and bags - now there is a world of pain, for the poor unsuspecting male.   I have a feeling that you will never ever be able to redress the balance - I mean are there enough makes of motorcycle to enable you to catch up ?  I went through a stage where I was convinced I needed more guitars.  Eric Clapton I am not, and find I always migrate to a particular guitar so some of the others are not getting played.  I can only play one guitar at a time.  I do remember watching a busker in Cardiff back in the 80s who had two white Fender Stratocasters around his neck and would switch seemlessly from playing right handed to playing left handed.  Amazing.        

I tend to build kits as I get them, so do not have a stash.  Although I do have a Wills Craftsman engine shed unopened and crying out to be built.    

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Gopher said:

....Big thanks to Chris for making his superb design available.......

You're more than welcome

You've done a grand job and have done me proud :good:

My only criticism is that the weathering you have done on the planking is far better than what I did on mine :P

Chris

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

You're more than welcome

My only criticism is that the weathering you have done on the planking is far better than what I did on mine :P

Chris

Thanks Chris,  my problem with weathering is knowing when to stop.   I was tempted to keep fiddling with the weathering on the planking, but forced myself to walk away.  It is a lovely little wagon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

You're more than welcome

Chris

Chris I meant to add - I don't think my weathering is better than yours, I just went for a heavier finish. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Both models make perfect sense. Chris's model depicts a wagon before WW2 that although probably never cleaned, would have had regular visits to the wagon repair shops and a coat of paint every five years or so. Yours is a BR wagon 20 years later and probably less than a decade from the scrapyard. It would probably have had a coat of BR grey about 1949 and very little other than essential maintenance since, as it was becoming outdated.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Both models make perfect sense. Chris's model depicts a wagon before WW2 that although probably never cleaned, would have had regular visits to the wagon repair shops and a coat of paint every five years or so. Yours is a BR wagon 20 years later and probably less than a decade from the scrapyard. It would probably have had a coat of BR grey about 1949 and very little other than essential maintenance since, as it was becoming outdated.

I based the original on one built in 1934 numbered ‘42272’ surprisingly only seven were built between 1926-1934, however they did survive well into the BR era.

E2563EC6-9454-4D0E-B696-23BA0C8BB845.jpeg.be1165369b8adcc0d6a37e055db3ceab.jpeg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

PM sent, I would need to check with Gopher first if I could post the link on here

Chris - yes no problem post away.

The good news is the Shapeways price seems to have dropped a little, maybe due to the exchange rate.  

Edited by Gopher
  • Thanks 1