Gopher

Doesn't look like anyone has been in that she'd for a while! 

I'm a big fan of long disused sheds and garages. I am always curious as to whether there is anything interesting inside. Two weekends ago we rescued a 1951 Watsonian Ascot sports sidecar that had been entombed in a building that was bricked up in 1965. It was only a couple of streets away and we've been passing it almost daily for over a year and never knew until SWMBO answered an advert for a couple of old bicycles.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Doesn't look like anyone has been in that she'd for a while! 

I'm a big fan of long disused sheds and garages. I am always curious as to whether there is anything interesting inside. Two weekends ago we rescued a 1951 Watsonian Ascot sports sidecar that had been entombed in a building that was bricked up in 1965. It was only a couple of streets away and we've been passing it almost daily for over a year and never knew until SWMBO answered an advert for a couple of old bicycles.

No it is totally redundant, and who knows what mysteries it contains- probably mice and spiders, or maybe Lord Lucan's hideaway !

I am no expert on motorbikes or side cars, but that sounds like an amazing find.  You sometimes hear of old (now classic) cars entombed in old garages and sheds.  Simply been forgotten about, then suddenly discovered.         

My new combine harvester.  Langley models white metal kit of a Massey Ferguson 735.  Smaller than the Oxford die-cast model it replaced, and more appropriate for the time period I model.  Bit of a sod to put together.  I missed off one of the guards (cover for one of the belt drives), on the basis that some farmers removed these for maintenance, and could not be arsed to put them back on  (days before health and safety) - well that and I found them  quite fiddly to fit to the model.   I also missed off the spring tines from the cutting wheel  (even more fiddly).

Managed to find a small figure in my spares box which makes a passable driver.   It makes a nicely detailed model   - but as I said a bit of a sod to build.           

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Awkward to put together or not, you have made a great job of it and the painting has really brought it to life. It looks like slightly battered 18 guage steel sheet, whereas some white metal models with shiny paint or dead flat paint look like 4 inch armour plating.

Thanks Mr Wolf, yes it just did not look right when it was pristine, so some good old farm yard grime (hand brush and air brush) did the job.  I think it really brought out some of the detail.  I think it is a nicely detailed kit.

Of course I blame you :D.   Your comments on the original combine were spot on, so of course it had to be replaced.  So a big thankyou for the constructive feedback, it all helps improve my layout :good_mini:.   

Edited by Gopher
  • Thanks 1

Canal Street is one of the dodgy areas of Dewchurch.  Home to the Gas Works, and canal - and in my imaginary world also two dodgy pubs (off scene).  The pubs are the sort of places where (to quote an old joke about the Greyhound pub in Cardiff - now long gone) - someone threw a petrol bomb into the bar, and the customers drank it before it went off.

Anyway enough rambling - here we have two beat bobbies who have been told by Sarg to keep an eye on Canal Street.  They are Modelu figures, and the bike is a Springside white metal kit.  I am not sure if the Police uniforms are appropriate for the late 1950s/early 60s - when did bobbies start wearing ties  ?   I just liked the figures so wanted to add them to the layout somewhere.   The bike may also be out of period (having seen the photos I think I need to tidy up the white mudguards with a lick of paint).    

IMG_4613.JPG

IMG_4614.JPG

• Like 11

The Met were wearing tunics with lapels and a collar and tie by the late 50s. Some of the more rural forces might well have continued with the 1940s style uniforms for longer. Rule 1 applies I say. The bike is if a style that Raleigh and everyone else built right into the early seventies, though the full chain guard option was deleted sometime in the early sixties. It ought to be black though.

c43535bffdf8f23e4de2846452cdd0a1.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The Met were wearing tunics with lapels and a collar and tie by the late 50s. Some of the more rural forces might well have continued with the 1940s style uniforms for longer. Rule 1 applies I say. The bike is if a style that Raleigh and everyone else built right into the early seventies, though the full chain guard option was deleted sometime in the early sixties. It ought to be black though.

c43535bffdf8f23e4de2846452cdd0a1.jpg

Thanks Mr Wolf - brilliant.  Rule 1 it is.  I can also repaint the bike black and not worry too much about the colour of the tyres bleeding into the mud guards - problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1