Gopher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Dapol Moguls -  sitting on the turntable road at Dewchurch .  Both now suitably weathered, coal and crew added. 

6324 in BR black and 6364 in BR lined green,  After some teething problems with 6364 - both run beautifully very smooth.   6324 is the sound fitted version, 6364 has a Digitrains sound decoder fitted with GWR manor sounds.  Both sound good, although 6324 benefits from the two speakers.

I think Dapol have done a good job  

IMG_4831 (5).JPG

IMG_4832 (6).JPG

IMG_4836 (7).JPG

• Like 10

If Dapol have done a good job of these locos, you've done an equally good job of weathering them.

I have to say that I am really impressed with the look of the new 43xx. It's a pity that so many people have had problems with the running, but it's not limited to this model. It seems that everything being issued lately has been defective in the running stakes to some extent. 

Good to know that the problem with this model is sortable. I'm still running an ancient Bachmann 43xx (considered state of the art in its day) which the doomsayers insist will self destruct soon. Any excuse to get saving for the new model!

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If Dapol have done a good job of these locos, you've done an equally good job of weathering them.

I have to say that I am really impressed with the look of the new 43xx. It's a pity that so many people have had problems with the running, but it's not limited to this model. It seems that everything being issued lately has been defective in the running stakes to some extent. 

Good to know that the problem with this model is sortable. I'm still running an ancient Bachmann 43xx (considered state of the art in its day) which the doomsayers insist will self destruct soon. Any excuse to get saving for the new model!

Bad news - the doomsayers are probably right - the axle muffs will give up the ghost sooner or later.

Good news - Peter's Spares has just reintroduced spare muffs, ref PS117 (usual disclaimer).

Bad news (for me) - shipping to Australia is GBP 39.99 flat rate...

• Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks Mr Wolf.  I enjoy the more artistic side of modelling (which basically means I enjoy adding crap to pristine models).

I seem to have running issues with most new steam models.  Might be my layout is beginning to show its age and my once immaculate trackwork is not so immaculate.  Having said that my older Hornby and Bachmann (older than 10 years) steam locos still run very well on all parts of my layout.  With the newer locos it is a bit more hit and miss.  Adding weight and changing back to backs helps, and on occasion changing bogie wheels has cured the problem.  I have never had electrical problems with any new loco, until recently.

The problems are solvable (well apart from a  PCB problem), but I find it slightly frustrating that I have to try and solve them.  I suppose I should just reject any loco which does not run perfectly, but my tendency is to try and fix it.  

Years ago I could plonk a loco on the layout and off it went quite happily. 

Having said all that I have had brilliant service from Retailers on the very odd occasion I have had to return a faulty loco.

I think the Dapol Mogul is a good un, despite some of the issues I have encountered            

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Bad news - the doomsayers are probably right - the axle muffs will give up the ghost sooner or later.

Good news - Peter's Spares has just reintroduced spare muffs, ref PS117 (usual disclaimer).

Bad news (for me) - shipping to Australia is GBP 39.99 flat rate...

Ouch!  That is costly, I hope later than sooner for the axle muffs 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

Ouch!  That is costly, I hope later than sooner for the axle muffs 

I didn't find them, but I did find someone asking £134.45 Inc post for a used Bachmann Branchline Mogul. Going rate looks to be about £60, roughly what they cost originally. That price is even more optimistic when I see that a Dapol DC mogul is 159.95.

I see that the DCC and sound version is £309.95.

Another £150 for a version with a few bits of mobile phone nailed on? Not of my money, that absolutely extracts the urine.

Can anyone seriously tell me that model locomotives are 5x better for the money than they were 20 something years ago?

At least they were 95% reliable and cheap in comparison.

As for the metal fatigue issues, I doubt that will have changed, but only time will tell I guess!

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I didn't find them, but I did find someone asking £134.45 Inc post for a used Bachmann Branchline Mogul. Going rate looks to be about £60, roughly what they cost originally. That price is even more optimistic when I see that a Dapol DC mogul is 159.95.

I see that the DCC and sound version is £309.95.

Another £150 for a version with a few bits of mobile phone nailed on? Not of my money, that absolutely extracts the urine.

Can anyone seriously tell me that model locomotives are 5x better for the money than they were 20 something years ago?

At least they were 95% reliable and cheap in comparison.

As for the metal fatigue issues, I doubt that will have changed, but only time will tell I guess!

Yes sound fitted models are an interesting topic.  I have been fitting  sound decoders and speakers from the after market suppliers for the past 12 years (maybe longer).  The actual cost of a good sound decoder has not increased dramatically in that time.  I used to pay just under £100 for a Loksound V3.5 decoder, with sound project loaded and speaker.   You now pay a bit over £100 (depending on the supplier and the sound project loaded).  The sounds are now much better, speakers are better and the driving functions much better.  Personally I think modern sound decoders from the top after market suppliers are pretty good value.  I am bound to say that as I love DCC sound.      

I have seen the Dapol sound fitted Mogul advertised at £309 - I did not pay that for mine, (Paid £269) and had part exed some older items to offset the cost.  At £309 the Zimo decoder and speakers may cost circa £120, (probably less if you are a manufacturer and  buy in bulk).  So the loco comes in at circa £189.  Which I guess is the going rate for non sound fitted Hornby and Bachmann locos.  I think the detail on modern locos is great, but the running characteristics are variable in my experience.  So I don't think the newer models are 5x better.   I guess production costs in China have risen dramatically, and probably profit margins in the supply chain.    

Having said that I have no desire to go back to the days when I had to prod my Mainline and Hornby models on DC to start,  and slow running was virtually impossible.   

I think the high cost of modern models is a huge issue, and you wonder if sustainable in the current economic climate.  While I am on the subject I balk at paying over £40 for a carriage, which I really find hard to justify no matter how detailed they may be.   It is becoming a very expensive hobby.  I'll have to go back to sex and drugs and rock and roll. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think that with technology that is not user serviceable, the mark up is massive (as a former engineer, I don't think it, I know it) I wouldn't want to depress everyone by saying what the electronic bits really cost, because it's a seller's market. High tech has and was always intended to take the market that way. The purveyors of which always despised that bloke in a tin shed who could fix things, no money in it for the middle men. The motor industry has gone to hell with it, but the motor industry has always led and all other consumer goods have followed suit.

I've just binned my old Mainline 57xx because of chassis rot (awful cheap nasty plastic gears from new!)

The body is sat in a box, I think that you could get a much better chassis for them at one time. If not, that might as well be binned.

Probably better to buy a new loco. But having read of the 16xx general disappointment on the Tetbury thread, I probably won't. Probably risk another old Bachmann. :D

I am sure you are absolutely right that the mark up on the electronic components is considerable.   Motor industry - there was a time many years ago where I would service my own car,  would not know where to start with modern engines.  It seems that today in most industries it is all about replacing rather than repairing.  I am not convinced some of the mechanics/technicians  working in the main car dealerships are a patch on some of my mates who became mechanics back in the 1970s and 80s.      

Funnily enough my 16xx arrived today, lovely looking model, dead as a door nail on the track.  So it has been returned.

I am starting to get paranoid (well more than usual). This is the third brand new model I have received (pre ordered) in the last 6 weeks which has some kind of fault.   Dapol Mogul, Bachmann 94xx and now the Rapido 16xx.   Other people are delighted with their versions of these models - I seem to be cursed at the moment.   

The Mogul is sorted (third time lucky) the 94xx is with Bachmann for evaluation/repair,  the 16xx is on its way back to Kernow for a replacement.   

There is clearly a message there -  that I need to stop buying locos.  

• Friendly/supportive 2

From what I have heard over the dozen or so threads that I follow, you are far from unique in receiving lame locomotives. In fact you appear to be in the majority. I have suggested on another thread sending the errant locomotive back accompanied by an old Tri-ang pannier chassis and a helpful note saying "Here, develop this!"

• Agree 1

On 01/12/2020 at 21:36, MrWolf said:

I have discussed the possibility of the bus on the bridge picture being retained for a future blackmail attempt with my Personal Assistant / Publicity Officer / Security Adviser and she has issued the following statement on my behalf:

03000802.jpg

Strange, I have one like that.

Derek

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Very atmospheric photos, Hardwood halt always reminds me of the pictures railway enthusiasts took around 1960 knowing that it would soon be gone.

Thanks Rob.  I have a soft spot for little wayside halts, so wanted to include one on the layout when I extended it a few years ago.   You look at some of them in rural areas and wonder why they were ever built as they seem miles from anywhere.  Which of course was their charm.  

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm getting quite a bit of mileage out of Viz comics this week...

X9pmem.png.c848bc0dd6d10e08ce7e01565f7d37d2.png

A man walked into a bar and asked the barmaid for a double entendre.

So she gave him one.

I thank you.

• Funny 4