Gopher

Back to railways.  Dewchurch loco yard mess room.

The camera never lies and of course shows up any errors.  The Harburn Hobbies building has a gap under it, (now filled with vegetation). 

Makes a change from the spider's web which normally drapes over signals etc.  (Still have not found that damn spider)  

IMG_3755.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 02/04/2021 at 17:38, Gopher said:

Dewchurch may soon get dismantled. 

On 02/04/2021 at 17:38, Gopher said:

I may still chicken out (I've been resisting taking this step for at least two years

Sad to read about that in early April. Are you still resisting? But noted a lot of the subsequent photos are entitled "from the archive". So does that mean work on the room has started and a new Dewchurch will rise?

7 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Sad to read about that in early April. Are you still resisting? But noted a lot of the subsequent photos are entitled "from the archive". So does that mean work on the room has started and a new Dewchurch will rise?

Thanks-  I am still resisting at the moment. the layout is still complete.  Although my wife is increasingly asking when I might start taking the layout apart.  She fully appreciates the emotional pain this will cause me, but the room does need some TLC.   

I think I might make it a "next year" task.  I will find it very hard to start dismantling it.  I just keep thinking of the hours of work I have invested in it - plus I like it.   

I am actually running out of photos to post - so I started posting some "from the archive" photos, and some which are not brilliant.

Thanks for asking.        

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Class 31 on an inter regional express heads towards Dewchurch.  This model suffered badly from Mazak rot.  Hornby replaced the chassis a few years ago.  All good now

20200407_141152 (2).jpg

What is mazak rot, please? 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nevermakeit said:

What is mazak rot, please? 

Quoted from a post on the Hornby website:

“The technical term is Inter Crystaline Corrosion. It is caused by lead contamination in the zinc alloy that is Mazak. IF the contamination is present one or several things can happen; the casting swells up, cracks can form or it can turn to dust.”

It’s usually the swelling that makes it apparent.

Paul.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Prewar Dinky toys often suffer from it and can end up with the structural integrity of dried mud.

Dinky managed to sort their quality control post WW2 and I have never seen a supposedly cheaply made toy car from the fifties or sixties that was affected.

It all goes to #### around the early eighties when Mainline et al started getting their products made in the far east in order (allegedly) to improve the level of detail at a price that was affordable. Of course, when you outsource to the lowest bidder, corners get cut!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Intercrystalline corrosion is enhanced corrosion affecting the grain boundaries of a polycrystalline metal, the other technical term is FUBAR but it's not a good idea to ask what that is :lol:

HND materials technology and engineering

BSc bronze swimming certificate

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

I have to agree with you there. I can't remember them in use, but I do recall the blue with full yellow ends and the urge to get a rattle can of white paint and write the word SPAM down the sides.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

The following statement will make me as welcome as a f@rt in a spacesuit but I do think diesels look much better in the early green livery

Totally agree Chris.  My early memories are of green diesels, but also loved the maroon on class 52 Westerns.  Having said that most of my train journeys in my yoof were behind BR blue diesels.   

• Like 1