Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Dewchurch signal box (Timber Tracks kit).  With detailed interior and lights, and a Scale Model Scenery signalbox nameplate (a vast improvement on my original nameplate).  

20200407_140558.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks to all for the "likes" and comments on my recent photos.

 

I have just completed project 2 , replacement of some half relief scratch built buildings on the layout.  This project was focused on the industrial buildings at the back of the layout.  Photo 2 shows the building to be replaced, left hand building in front of the backscene  (Ives Barrels).

 

Photo 3 shows the  three replacement buildings (one Townstreet half  relief factory), and two half relief Petite Properties kits.     

 

Photo 1 - is a close up of some of the new buildings.

 

I used Redutex  texture sheets for the walls of the two Petite properties kits .  I toned both sheets down by weathering them.  These kits simply give you a shell to construct,  paint and complete as you want, using paper, or embossed plasticard, or in my case Redutex.  I painted the doors, window sills etc - and then weathered them.  I used Petite Properties pre -cut tile strips for the roofs (suitably painted and weathered).

 

The Townstreet model is plastercast, needs assembling and painting.  Inevitably there is a bit of filler required with these kits, and some sanding of parts to make them a better fit.  They take paint very well (I use Humbrol enamels).  I weather them with acrylic paint.  

 

Onwards and upward to project 3 !      

 

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

Edited by Gopher
corrected sequence of photos
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a close up of one of the Petite Properties kits (before installation on the layout).  It scrubs up well

IMG_3939.JPG

  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another view of the new buildings from a different angle 

IMG_3952.JPG

  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally (yes honestly) - close up of the Townstreet Models factory, and Petite Properties warehouse.

 

  

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drone eye view of the Loco yard. 

 

On shed in the foreground we have King Henry 111, 8F, and 3F Jinty.  In the background to the right of the shed a  9F.  Britannia 7P Lord Rowallan lurks in the shed.  Class 52 - Western Invader sits at the refuelling point, and Foremarke Hall on the turntable waiting to be turned.   

IMG_3919.JPG

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Work stained Britannia Lord Kitchener stands at the buffer stops with a rake of Mark 1 stock.   

IMG_3931.JPG

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another cameo.  Permanent way staff remove disused Gas Works siding.  They are probably Gas Board employees rather than BR, given it was a private siding.      

20200224_134937.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brush type 2 (class 31) arrives at Dewchurch with a rake of Gresley corridor stock. 

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On shed - a brace of Britannias.  Lord Kitchener and Lord Rowallan parked near the coal stage.  King Henry 111 in the spur in front of a wagon of ash.   

IMG_3999.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another view of the Britannias and King at rest

IMG_3997.JPG

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent visitors to the Diesel refuelling point.

 

Class 52 - Western Invader.

 

Brush type 2 (Class 31), and Hymek (Class 35)

20200320_152434.jpg

IMG_4006.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black & White view - Western Invader 

20200320_152434BW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Couple more  views of Station Road, Dewchurch.     I must work out how to change the destination blind on the double decker to something more appropriate.  I've managed to put a driver and passengers in the bus, but found no easy way to change the destination blind.       

 

If I had my time again I'd also use something a bit smoother for the road surface.  I suspect any vehicles driving over this surface would have a rough ride.     

IMG_3966.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/04/2020 at 08:39, Gopher said:

Another cameo.  Permanent way staff remove disused Gas Works siding.  They are probably Gas Board employees rather than BR, given it was a private siding.      

20200224_134937.jpg

But they are working on the BR side of the gate, therefore must be BR P.W. dept men.  Inside the gate the track is the property of the Gas Board, who would be very unlikely to have staff for this sort of thing; the men recovering track on their property are more likely to be scrappies who have bought it from the Gas Board and are removing it as the price included their collection of the material.

 

This is an entirely believable scene, superb modelling.  I like the cramped and restricted urban feel of this layout, which increases the impression of a railway working to full capacity, proper main line stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the atmosphere on the layout  the cameos are great ,like you I use Petite Properties and find them to be very good and add to the overall look of the layout.The  Brits look well weathered used to watch them at Liverpool St a long time ago I shall follow your postings now keeep up the good work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

But they are working on the BR side of the gate, therefore must be BR P.W. dept men.  Inside the gate the track is the property of the Gas Board, who would be very unlikely to have staff for this sort of thing; the men recovering track on their property are more likely to be scrappies who have bought it from the Gas Board and are removing it as the price included their collection of the material.

 

This is an entirely believable scene, superb modelling.  I like the cramped and restricted urban feel of this layout, which increases the impression of a railway working to full capacity, proper main line stuff.

Thanks Johnster.  I appreciate the feedback and compliment.   Dewchurch is a busy station with quite a variety of services.  Strangely it never appeared in The Reshaping of British Railways report.   Dr Beeching had heard of Dewchurch but could not find it on a map, so left it well alone.  The PW men are definitely on BR property, so henceforth they will be BR employees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Like the atmosphere on the layout  the cameos are great ,like you I use Petite Properties and find them to be very good and add to the overall look of the layout.The  Brits look well weathered used to watch them at Liverpool St a long time ago I shall follow your postings now keeep up the good work.

Thankyou Imsforever for the compliment .  I am a recent convert to Petite Properties kits and have become slightly (O.K very) addicted to them.  I have just finished two new half relief shops to replace the shop with the upside down first and second floors (referred to in the posts above).  I'll post some photos in due course.   I have just bought another of their kits  (full relief Blackberry farm) to replace the Scaledale building in the enclosed photo.

 

Brits are my favourite BR standard loco, (closely followed by the 9F).  I have weathered both of them.  If I was a better modeller I'd probably rename and renumber them to Western region (Cardiff Canton) Brits.  I think I would have to replace the smoke deflectors as well,  as the hand rails are not correct for Western Region, also I think Lord Rowallan would need a new tender.  Must have been great seeing them in the flesh.       

IMG_3623.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WR Brits all eventually got the WR type smoke deflectors with the oblong brass rimmed handholds, which Canton polished up, after the 1955 Milton (Didcot) derailment to 70026 in which the driver claimed that his view of signals was obscured by the handrails.  We'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as did the enquiry, but no such problem seems to have ever been encountered on 9Fs or Clans.  The deflectors were changed when locos went for overhaul so the process took several years, and you could see locos with or without the WR smoke deflectors, both with unicycling lion or ferret and dartboard totems.  The LMR also responded to the Milton crash, using the circular handholds that they had previously used on the Duchesses, Royal Scots, and Patriots.  The ER never bothered AFAIK but all the Brits ended up on the LMR by 1962, where some ex ER locos got LMR type deflector plates.  Some Brits retained their original handrail deflectors to withdrawal.

 

Of the WR Brits, 70015-23 were given the BR1 tender that all the class had been equipped with to that point, but 70024-29 were given BR1A, with an increased water capacity.  There is AFAIK (but I am happy to be corrected) no visual difference unless the tender bunker is modelled empty; it's floor slopes less steeply to increase water capacity in a tank beneath the bunker.  Some later Brits 'reverted' to BR1 tenders but the last batch were given BR1D tenders, with a different appearance, and would be correct for Lord Rowallan.  These tenders carried 9 tons of coal and did not have the inset to the bunker sides that the BR! and BR1A had.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

WR Brits all eventually got the WR type smoke deflectors with the oblong brass rimmed handholds, which Canton polished up, after the 1955 Milton (Didcot) derailment to 70026 in which the driver claimed that his view of signals was obscured by the handrails.  We'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as did the enquiry, but no such problem seems to have ever been encountered on 9Fs or Clans.  The deflectors were changed when locos went for overhaul so the process took several years, and you could see locos with or without the WR smoke deflectors, both with unicycling lion or ferret and dartboard totems.  The LMR also responded to the Milton crash, using the circular handholds that they had previously used on the Duchesses, Royal Scots, and Patriots.  The ER never bothered AFAIK but all the Brits ended up on the LMR by 1962, where some ex ER locos got LMR type deflector plates.  Some Brits retained their original handrail deflectors to withdrawal.

 

Of the WR Brits, 70015-23 were given the BR1 tender that all the class had been equipped with to that point, but 70024-29 were given BR1A, with an increased water capacity.  There is AFAIK (but I am happy to be corrected) no visual difference unless the tender bunker is modelled empty; it's floor slopes less steeply to increase water capacity in a tank beneath the bunker.  Some later Brits 'reverted' to BR1 tenders but the last batch were given BR1D tenders, with a different appearance, and would be correct for Lord Rowallan.  These tenders carried 9 tons of coal and did not have the inset to the bunker sides that the BR! and BR1A had.  

Thanks Johnster, very informative.  I'd read about the Milton derailment and the change to rimmed handholds on Western Region Brits.  I had not really appreciated that this change happened over several years when they went for overhaul,  and that you would see Brits with the original smoke deflectors. (makes total sense now you mention it).  Yes Lord Rowallan has a BR1D tender with a BR late crest.  Lord Kitchener has the BR1 tender with early BR crest.  Looking at my Ian Allan book of Britannia Pacifics, it looks as if many of the Western Region Brits were based at Canton in the early 1950s.  I am not sure what date the last Brits left Canton. I can see that Morning Star and Venus  were there in 1957.  I am not sure whether any were based there after 1957 and into the 1960s.  In the flexible time period I model it looks as if Lord Rowallan was based at either Chester, Crewe, North, Camden, Newton Heath  (seems to have moved around a bit), and I have seen photos of it at Bristol TM. Lord Kitchener was based at Longsight, and Aston.               

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have been pretty busy making replacement half relief kit buildings for the layout.  So I thought it was time to take a break and watch the trains go by.   So I packed some sandwiches, borrowed my Dad's Kodak camera, and jumped on my trusty Raleigh bike to cycle to Harewood Halt. I apologise in advance for the quality of some of the photos (too much dandelion and burdock pop).

 

 So to start off we have:

 

Class 122 leaving Harewood Halt for Dewchurch.  Foremarke Hall heads north with a rake of Gresley stock on a stopping train.   28xx plods towards Dewchurch with a freight.      

IMG_3981.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gopher said:

Thanks Johnster, very informative.  I'd read about the Milton derailment and the change to rimmed handholds on Western Region Brits.  I had not really appreciated that this change happened over several years when they went for overhaul,  and that you would see Brits with the original smoke deflectors. (makes total sense now you mention it).  Yes Lord Rowallan has a BR1D tender with a BR late crest.  Lord Kitchener has the BR1 tender with early BR crest.  Looking at my Ian Allan book of Britannia Pacifics, it looks as if many of the Western Region Brits were based at Canton in the early 1950s.  I am not sure what date the last Brits left Canton. I can see that Morning Star and Venus  were there in 1957.  I am not sure whether any were based there after 1957 and into the 1960s.  In the flexible time period I model it looks as if Lord Rowallan was based at either Chester, Crewe, North, Camden, Newton Heath  (seems to have moved around a bit), and I have seen photos of it at Bristol TM. Lord Kitchener was based at Longsight, and Aston.               

All the WR Brits had gravitated to Canton by 1957, possibly earlier; they proved very suitable for the heavily loaded but relatively easily timed South Wales-Paddingtons.  A 2 cylinder loco with a big free steaming boiler is always a good uphill slogger, and the long climb from Severn Tunnel bottom to Badminton, not to mention the banks west of Cardiff and on the North to West main line showed this.  
 

Canton had always wanted Kings for these jobs, and got them in 1961 though they could not work west of Cardiff or use some of Cardiff’s platforms.  The Brits were all transferred to the LMR at this time.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just completed a couple more Petite Properties half relief shops.  Just need to remove the faulty shop (mentioned in the posts above), and install these.  I added guttering and drainpipes, and used Langley Models shop window interiors .  I used Redutex  texture sheets for the walls, but did not bother to add any weathering to the brickwork on either shop .

 

  I have no connection with Petite Properties other than a satisfied customer.  

IMG_4063.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally - before and after photos of the new street scene.   So project 3 completed. 

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4059.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.