Gopher

Some more train watching photos from Harewood Halt.

Class 37 arrives with a mineral train from Dewchurch.  Head code is a bit odd for this train.

Pannier on a pick up freight waiting for the road.  

King Edward V111 hurries through on an express for Dewchurch.  The train will terminate at Dewchurch 

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_4016.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

• Like 6

Hi Gopher, I've recently found your thread and read through with interest. You have created superb, realistic scenes and details which are so evocative of the period.

I particularly like: the long timber bridge over the canal on the approach to the station (I can't think when I have seen a multi-track example modelled before) ; the street and platform scenes; and (possibly an odd choice some may think!) the oil soaked track beneath Western Enterprise in your post on Tuesday. These are scenic modelling skills for me to aspire to for my layout :). Thank you for sharing.   

Best Regards

John

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

Hi Gopher, I've recently found your thread and read through with interest. You have created superb, realistic scenes and details which are so evocative of the period.

I particularly like: the long timber bridge over the canal on the approach to the station (I can't think when I have seen a multi-track example modelled before) ; the street and platform scenes; and (possibly an odd choice some may think!) the oil soaked track beneath Western Enterprise in your post on Tuesday. These are scenic modelling skills for me to aspire to for my layout :). Thank you for sharing.   

Best Regards

John

Hi John, thanks so much for the wonderful compliments.  This is the fourth layout I have built since returning to Railway modelling  a few years ago.  I think my skills have improved (well some of them) over that time.   Of course helped by the superb range of products and kits available nowadays.  There are still bits of the layout which make me shudder though (some of which are quite hard to rectify).

I think we all just keep plugging away and hopefully achieving better results from our modelling. and learning from our mistakes. 

I also find huge inspiration from some of the superb layouts on RM web.  

Best Wishes

Gopher     

Next building replacement project is to replace building in photo 1 (Skaledale), by completing the kit in photo 2, to hopefully look something like the building in photo 3.

The challenge for me will be cutting and applying my preferred wall covering (Redutex textured sheets), to accurately fit the laser cut wood carcass.  So far I have only used them on smaller half relief buildings.   This kit is full relief, and a more challenging shape.  So with a bit of bad language I'll hopefully get there !

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

• Like 3

Hi @Gopher, another new reader here. Congratulations for building such an engaging model -- this is a pretty substantial size and yet there's detail and interest everywhere. The figures definitely help, as do the little cameo scenes and the sheer amount of detail in the street scene. I've heard it said of theatre design, that 50% of scenery goes unnoticed in itself but functions to make what we do look at, look right. I think you've hit that on the head here. I also love the simple but convincing countryside section (between the bridges, I think?). All round a fantastic bit of work.

Adam

• Agree 2

Hi Adam, Thanks so much for the compliment, also thanks to others who have "liked" the photos I post.  This is actually the second Dewchurch I have constructed in this room.   The first one was the same concept (fiddle yard to town terminus),  had home made base boards (using Sundela), and my own track plan.  It was a DC layout, using Peco code 75 track.  It lasted about 4 years.  The boards warped, and the track plan was crap, so it  had to go. 

The current layout was built in stages. Initially what is now the countryside section was the original  fiddle yard.  I had three new baseboards built by White Rose   I wanted more prototypical track so opted for  SMP.  Did not fancy making my own points so went for Marcway.  Thought I'd give DCC a go, and also had to use motor driven point motors (originally Fulgurex, now Tortoise and DCC concepts).  To say all this was a steep learning curve would be an understatement, but very enjoyable (but a bit costly).

I then discovered DCC sound.  Problem was by the time my locos reached the buffers at Dewchurch they were in full throttle.  A bit of a problem with the very early sound projects.  

I know I thought I'll extend the run by converting the fiddle yard board into a scenic section, and  install a new removable fiddle yard along one wall above my modelling desk.  The temptation was to fill the ex fiddle yard with lots more track.   Then I thought I'll install a very short scenic break, and build a country side scene (between two new bridges), and just have double track running through it.   I love the scenic element of railway modelling. 

Then a year or so later, I thought I know I'll extend the run further and make the new removable fiddle yard board permanent.  I'd  actually made this board using ply wood (and it had not warped).  So I extended the scenic section beyond the bridge and Harewood Halt was born.  Again temptation to lay lots of track or maybe have a small goods yard.  In the end I kept it simple with a simple halt, and a disused siding, loading platform, and lock up shed.  

There is now a very simple fiddle yard which I erect behind the room door.  I cannot extend any further so that it is it.  The trains now have a reasonable run, and with the new more sophisticated DCC sound projects, sound more prototypical as they travel through the scenic sections.

I spend my time now trying to improve what is there.  So I renewed some of the scenery using static grass, built some new trees from tree kits . Replaced buildings (original Dewchurch station building, both signal boxes, Dewchurch goods shed), have all been replaced, plus quite a bit of the street scenes.  This process goes on.

Figures, yes I love them.  I try not to overpopulate the layout, and when I buy a new figure (mostly Modelu).  I try to operate 1 in 1 out, and get rid of one of the older white metal figures .

Brilliant hobby, keeps me off the streets.

Finally few more photos from my train watching trip at Harewood Halt.

Western Invader with a parcels train for Birmingham.

Class 128  Diesel parcels car head toward Dewchurch

Robinson 04 runs through tender first with an empty coal train.

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4033.JPG

• Like 12

On 25/04/2020 at 14:11, Gopher said:

Next building replacement project is to replace building in photo 1 (Skaledale), by completing the kit in photo 2, to hopefully look something like the building in photo 3.

The challenge for me will be cutting and applying my preferred wall covering (Redutex textured sheets), to accurately fit the laser cut wood carcass.  So far I have only used them on smaller half relief buildings.   This kit is full relief, and a more challenging shape.  So with a bit of bad language I'll hopefully get there !

IMG_4067.JPG

Hi @Gopher, how did you get the building shells laser cut?  Was it something you did yourself?

I've just completed a whole series of drawings and need to get some shells cut myself.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Layout looks great by the way - you now have another avid follower.

Hi Turtlebah,  nothing so sophisticated I am afraid.  This is a Petite Properties off the shelf kit (which I think is excellent), I have also used Timber Tracks laser cut kits.  Chap who runs Timber Tracks, is in the process of retirement though, so I think he is just running down his stock levels, I believe he used to offer a laser cutting service.

So I think it might be worth checking out the York Model Making website.  I believe they offer a laser cutting service.  I have bought the odd bits from them, and get their newsletter.  I'm not sure whether businesses like

L-Cut or In the Green Wood, offer the service.   Might be worth checking with them.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the compliment, your own layout is progressing well, and what you have achieved to date is brilliant. 

39 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Excellent modeling  I use Petite Properties well made and good variety and very pleasent owners ,the guy looking suspicious is great.

Thanks for the compliment Imsforever.

Totally agree about the Petite Properties kits.  They are brilliant.  I like the variety of buildings available, and the fact that they give you a shell building to complete and detail as you wish.   Right up my street. 

Yes the guy is a poacher, tying to avoid being spotted by the local landowner (who is nearby with a shot gun).         

Progress to date on the latest Petite Properties kit.  Shell of building constructed, Redutex wall sheets added, and window sills added and painted.  

The MDF shell went together beautifully, then came the challenge of applying the Redutex textured sheet without too many joins showing.  Have to say I am not totally happy with the outcome.   The old adage of measure twice cut once, needs to be modified for me - to measure at least twice, cut three times, and then wonder why there are still bloody gaps.  Anyway - my issue was with the corner joints on the main building.  There was a small gap on two of the corners. So first of all I inserted some very very thin strip of Redutex to fill the gaps.  Thought I'd solved the problem, but on closer examination realised that the strips were a tad too wide, and lying on top of the Redutex sheets on the walls.  So off they came.  I then painted the gap in a mortar colour, and mixed up a light brown paint to paint in the odd stone in the gaps.  This looked better, but still not perfect.  The second photo shows the building with the stable building on the left.  With this I was able to wrap the sheet around the building, and avoid any unsightly gaps.  Could not do this with the main building.  The Redutex sheet is self adhesive, easy to cut and you can bend it at 90 degrees to avoid gaps at corners.  

Anyway - I think the answer might be some subtle weathering and strategically positioned ivy climbing up the walls.       

Next stage is to paint the doors, weather them, and then fit them and the windows.  Task for tomorrow.        

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

• Like 5

Progress to date on the latest Petite Properties kit.  Starting to achieve the  look I'm after.

Windows and doors installed, walls have been lightly weathered to tone them down.  Roof sections added and the stable has also been tiled, and weathered.

Next stage is to tile the main roof (I hope I have enough tiling strips), install the chimneys, and then I want to add guttering and downpipes (not included in the kit). 

Then possibly a bit more weathering.  I am trying to achieve an old run down rural look for the building.  I will probably add some ivy to parts of the building.  I also want to revamp the yard in which the building is going to sit.       

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4081.JPG

• Like 8

When I reach the decoration process on my Petite Properties I spread white glue and then cover with fine ballast material this gives an excellent finnish.Also you can paint to provide a good end product the result can be then weathered as required have a go its fun 

14 hours ago, lmsforever said:

When I reach the decoration process on my Petite Properties I spread white glue and then cover with fine ballast material this gives an excellent finnish.Also you can paint to provide a good end product the result can be then weathered as required have a go its fun 

Thanks for the tip Imsforever.  I'll give that a go on my next kit, make a change from brick and stone finishes on my other buildings.  

More trains at Harewood Halt.

8F plods through on a freight for the Midlands.

Class 122 destined for Shrewsbury.  Left Dewchurch 20 mins ago will shortly stop at Harewood Halt.

BR standard 3MT pauses at Harewood Halt on its ways to Dewchurch with a local stopping train  

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

Edited by Gopher
incorrect spelling of Shrewsbury
  • Like 8