Gopher

Cabins or huts ?  Platelayers huts at Harewood Halt, and Dewchurch.

Final photo - new shunter's cabin at Dewchurch.  This is the cabin from the Ratio weighbridge kit.  I found it unmade in my spares box, so thought I'd give the shunters a new home..

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_3956.JPG

• Like 14

Just completed the Latest Petite Properties kit.  The first two photos show the new building in situ.  The third photo shows the Skaledale building it replaced.    Still got a bit of scenic work to complete around the new house.

On my layout the farmhouse is known as Monkton Farm.  It is the ancestral home to two brothers,  Tom and Ivor Davies, who both work on the railway.  One is the local ganger, and the other the porter at Harewood halt.

It was a fun kit to complete. 

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4122.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

3 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Just completed the Latest Petite Properties kit.  The first two photos show the new building in situ.  The third photo shows the Skaledale building it replaced.    Still got a bit of scenic work to complete around the new house.

On my layout the farmhouse is known as Monkton Farm.  It is the ancestral home to two brothers,  Tom and Ivor Davies, who both work on the railway.  One is the local ganger, and the other the porter at Harewood halt.

It was a fun kit to complete. 

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4122.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

Great eye for detail here!!

Scenics and flowers look spot on...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Great eye for detail here!!

Scenics and flowers look spot on...

You’re not wrong there @Gopher’s work is exquisite

I too have a great eye for detail but the other one isn’t so good so it kinda balances out to being average attention to detail overall :jester:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

You’re not wrong there @Gopher’s work is exquisite

I too have a great eye for detail but the other one isn’t so good so it kinda balances out to being average attention to detail overall :jester:

Its nice to see someone adding flowers and scenic just in the right amount rather than flooding the scenic...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job. I too would like to congratulate you on the groundwork. It looks natural, busy and convincing, without being cluttered. It reminds me of a long deceased relative's farm, even though that was built from granite with brick quoins.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks to all for the compliments.  As a lone modeller, who never exhibits the layout , it is wonderful to get such positive feedback on my  efforts.   The quality of the various kits and scenic materials help enormously.

I'm chuffed !   Thanks again       

• Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Gopher said:

Thanks to all for the compliments.  As a lone modeller, who never exhibits the layout , it is wonderful to get such positive feedback on my  efforts.   The quality of the various kits and scenic materials help enormously.

I'm chuffed !   Thanks again       

Looking forward to more of your modelling skills now:good:

• Thanks 1

Front view of the Wills Scenecraft semi detached house opposite the Royal Oak pub.  I remember trying to make this kit years ago, and giving up because I found it too difficult (cutting the thick plasticard accurately, especially the window and door openings). 

A few years ago I thought I'd give their country cottage kit a go.  That turned out O.K, so with renewed confidence I had another go at this kit.   

I am considering using their double track engine shed kit to replace my current engine shed.  I am reasonably happy with the current shed, but it was one of the first Townstreet kits I made so it has a few faults.  The Wills kit is also slightly smaller, so may be a better scenic fit.  I think it is based on an LNWR northlight engine shed, so I could get away with using it on a Western Region/West Midlands layout.

My real problem is as much as I enjoy operating the layout (at least when it all works properly).  I enjoy making and painting kits, and improving the scenery.  So I am always looking for an excuse to replace buildings or scenery.

On that very subject, my next project is to replace the Coopercraft Rail weighbridge building in the second photo.  This will be at least the fourth time I have replaced this particular building.  The first building was made from Linka (who remembers that).  The replacement will be a laser wood kit from Rail Model Quality Model Railway Kits. It turned up last week, and looks an excellent replacement, and more suitable for my goods yard.             

20200505_145557.jpg

20200407_144308.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I meant to post this photo earlier in this thread.

Other side of completed Petite Properties farm house.  The kit instruction says it is the back, but looks more like the front to me.  Either way it cannot be seen when installed on the layout. 

IMG_4143.JPG

20200509_153341.jpg

IMG_4185.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Yes, this is first class stuff and inspirational scenic and building work.  I agree with the comment about not flooding with flowers, and you have used this philosophy throughout to very good effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Yes, this is first class stuff and inspirational scenic and building work.  I agree with the comment about not flooding with flowers, and you have used this philosophy throughout to very good effect.

Thank you Johnster - hope the mean streets of inner city Cardiff are treating you well.  Bring back theTrolley buses I say    

• Like 1

Sir William A Stanier photographed at various locations heading for Platform 2 Dewchurch, with an inter regional express.  It is pulling a rake of ex LMS stock.

Not sure if it is just my loco, it is a lovely model, but I find it derails more often than other 4-6-2 and 4-6-0 locos (and even some of the long wheel base freight locos)

My older Hornby locos are very sure footed, this is one is a bit more temperamental.  I've checked back to backs, added weight, but it still has a tendency to jump ship at certain points.      

IMG_4153.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

• Like 7

On 10/05/2020 at 17:02, Gopher said:

I meant to post this photo earlier in this thread.

Other side of completed Petite Properties farm house.  The kit instruction says it is the back, but looks more like the front to me.  Either way it cannot be seen when installed on the layout. 

IMG_4143.JPG

20200509_153341.jpg

IMG_4185.JPG

Hi,

in my experience the fronts of farm houses were pretty plain, but around the back would be the coal house, a store an maybe a wash-house with pump and a copper (coal-fired boiler) and other gubbins so you've got yours just right with the front to the back, so's to speak!

Roja

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

in my experience the fronts of farm houses were pretty plain, but around the back would be the coal house, a store an maybe a wash-house with pump and a copper (coal-fired boiler) and other gubbins so you've got yours just right with the front to the back, so's to speak!

Roja

Thanks Roja.  Totally agree. I also think the building looks more interesting from the back with the stable building etc.    

• Agree 3