Gopher

Dewchurch goods yard has a new weighbridge office.

Photo 1 shows the original Coopercraft wagon weighbridge office.

Photos 2 & 3 show the new building which was constructed from a laser wood kit.  It is based on a GWR weighbridge office, and I think is more proto-typical for my layout.  The kit has interior wall detail, floor boards  and a fire place, and could be further detailed, and then benefit from interior lighting.  All of which I have not bothered with.  I need to take a leaf out of Chris's/Chuffinghell book.  He would have built a superb interior for this building if it was on his Warren branch layout.

This is the fourth replacement weighbridge office.  At last I have found something I am happy with (unless of course I rip it apart to detail and light the interior).                 

20200407_144308.jpg

IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

• Like 14

First photo - Loading bay and parcels office Dewchurch station.

Second photo- Station Road Dewchurch.  This scene is currently being re-developed.  I replaced some of the  buildings and pavement at the other end of Station road a few weeks ago.  The new pavement I installed does not match the pavement in the scene below.   I used Metcalfe models individual stone paving slabs for the new pavement.  They look really good when laid, and much better than the plasticard pavement it replaced .  So I decided to replace the pavement in the scene below with the individual stone paving slabs.  Decided  I would also replace the Metcalfe Models card buildings and possibly the Bachmann Scenecraft shop on the right of the photo.  Station Road is approx 3ft 6ins long, so it is quite time consuming laying the individual paving slabs along the final 2/3rds. Plus the rear of the baseboard where the phone box is situated is pretty inaccessible.  I find best tackled over several days, (to preserve what little sanity I have left).  

This project will also give me an opportunity to solve another thing which niggles me about this part of the layout.  I have a double decker bus, coming down Station road to the bus stop.  For the past few years I have ignored the simple question about how it travelled up Station road and managed the impossible.  To execute a three (more likely seven) point turn by the Post Office.  There is a low road tunnel next to the phone box, but far too low to accommodate a Double Decker.   So in the new scene I will construct a road junction  just before the road tunnel and at the end of the row of buildings on the right.  I think the term construct is probably over the top - I will simple leave a gap between the last building and the retaining wall back scene, to give the impression there is junction there which vehicles can use to access Station Road from the other end.  

I thought about trying to replace the very rough road surface on Station Road.  Decided to leave it.  It is fine scatter material on a PVA base then painted with Humbrol enamels.  Set like concrete.                        

20200505_143020.jpg

20200505_143209.jpg

• Like 8

I have had a similar problem with an over textured road surface before. I thought I could put up with it, until I thought how a scale bicycle or motorcycle would get down that road?

So I mixed up a very thin decorators' filler and some grey brown artists gouache paint and applied it carefully across the surface with a small stiff brush, making sure that I didn't overload areas too much, although areas seeing heavy traffic would be smoother. I also didn't get too concerned with the very edges as this is where the loose and heavier materials get thrown by passing traffic. When it was dry (and importantly no higher than the original surface, I went at it with more paint of varying shades.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I have had a similar problem with an over textured road surface before. I thought I could put up with it, until I thought how a scale bicycle or motorcycle would get down that road?

So I mixed up a very thin decorators' filler and some grey brown artists gouache paint and applied it carefully across the surface with a small stiff brush, making sure that I didn't overload areas too much, although areas seeing heavy traffic would be smoother. I also didn't get too concerned with the very edges as this is where the loose and heavier materials get thrown by passing traffic. When it was dry (and importantly no higher than the original surface, I went at it with more paint of varying shades.

That is a good idea Mr Wolf, thank you.   The road surface would give tank a run for its money, let alone a poor cyclist.     

If it were in a more accessible spot I would suggest attacking the surface with engineers Emery cloth. 120 or 80 grit. It has no respect for the piddly sort of rock ballast is made of and would smooth the surface if it's as hard as you suspect to a worn compacted look. But you might well have to apply option A also.

6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If it were in a more accessible spot I would suggest attacking the surface with engineers Emery cloth. 120 or 80 grit. It has no respect for the piddly sort of rock ballast is made of and would smooth the surface if it's as hard as you suspect to a worn compacted look. But you might well have to apply option A also.

Thanks - I think I'll try the filler.  I think the Emery cloth (in my hands) may cause collateral damage.  I like the idea of leaving the edges of the road rough, so the pavement will still stand proud and I may even end up with a slight camber in the road.     

• Like 1

It's the better option and with your weathering and painting skills won't be too hard to literally paint it smooth. The filler needs to be only about the consistency of ketchup or thinner.

16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's the better option and with your weathering and painting skills won't be too hard to literally paint it smooth. The filler needs to be only about the consistency of ketchup or thinner.

Thanks for the compliment and advice.  I think I'll trial it on part of the road.   I also wondered about adding talcum powder to some thickish paint, and stippling that onto the rough bits.    

6 hours ago, Gopher said:

I also wondered about adding talcum powder to some thickish paint, and stippling that onto the rough bits.    

That also works really well. You can probably control it more easily in that confined space too. Its not easy to tell how much filling in is needed without seeing it close up. A steady job like putting the finish surface of tarmac onto the base layer.

17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That also works really well. You can probably control it more easily in that confined space too. Its not easy to tell how much filling in is needed without seeing it close up. A steady job like putting the finish surface of tarmac onto the base layer.

I experimented with a talc/paint mix on a small piece of the road.  I think it is too rough as the improvement was marginal.  I think the talc may be too fine, so will have to try the filler.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another view of the Auto train leaving platform 4 Dewchurch.

72xx arrives at Dewchurch with a freight.  Not Hornby's best model but I like it.  Glad they produced this and the 42xx and 52xx.      

20200228_135455.jpg

IMG_0791.JPG

• Like 10

New half relief Post office for Station Road.  In time honoured tradition for this layout, this is the fourth incarnation.  The first two were scratch built, the last was the Metcalfe Models Bank Card kit, which I simply re-labeled  as a Post Office.

This version is good old Petite Properties kit, again with some small added details and re-labeling as the Post Office.      

I am not sure if there is a Petite Properties self help group, but I need something to cure my addiction to their kits.  I have one more to build - a shop which will sit next to the Post Office, and thus complete the revamped Station Road.  

IMG_4226.JPG

• Like 10

Once you have built one Petite Properties kit I am afraid you are hooked there is no turning back no chance of returning to other products.All I can suggest is look at thier website and keep buying I am steadily replacing my old kits with thiers they are totaly addictive and produce a very realistic building.Also the service is excellent with rapid dispatch talk to them at exhibitions very pleasent and helpfull , the layout looks good.Chris

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Once you have built one Petite Properties kit I am afraid you are hooked there is no turning back no chance of returning to other products.All I can suggest is look at thier website and keep buying I am steadily replacing my old kits with thiers they are totaly addictive and produce a very realistic building.Also the service is excellent with rapid dispatch talk to them at exhibitions very pleasent and helpfull , the layout looks good.Chris

Thanks Chris, I am glad there is another addict  out there.  I often stopped at the Petite Properties trade stall when I visited the Warley exhibition, and thought I must give their kits a go one day.   Lockdown gave me the excuse.  I love their flexibility, and wish I had room for more of their full scale kits as opposed to just half relief buildings.   I think they are a cost effective way of adding quality buildings to a layout, which you can individualise to your own taste.  A half way house between scratch building and a complete kit. 

I'd love it if they ever produced more pure railway buildings for their range.  They have a nice station in their range, looks like a Midland station suitable for a branch line, but no doubt is non-descript enough to be used in other parts of the country (it reminds me a bit of  some ex Barry railway company station buildings.)    I was nearly tempted to use this as a replacement for my own station - but I think may be a bit too small for a town of Dewchurch's importance, plus I quite like the Townstreet building currently in situ.   

Thanks for the compliment about the layout.          

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2020 at 08:10, Gopher said:

72xx arrives at Dewchurch with a freight.  Not Hornby's best model but I like it

I like my 42xx; captures the thuggery of the real thing very well.  It plods just like a 42xx.  What do you think Hornby could have done better with this design?  That said, and asked, mine is the current production chassis and not the 'design clever' version which apparently had running issues and a crude moulded smokebox dart.

On 24/05/2020 at 08:53, Gopher said:

Not sure if this counts as a SPAD as the engine has slightly overshot the signal   

It counts as a SPAD, and right in front of the box at that; not much chance of getting away with it.  Unless the driver and bobby can 'square it away' in some way, the driver is due for a Form 1, 'please explain'.  The offence, if he can't 'explain' his way out of it, will go on his permanent record.  3 strikes and you're out, 'up the road' in railway parlance.  

He won't get away with it if the fireman is driving, as the fireman is under his supervision and the driver is in charge of the locomotive at all times during the duty.  They may be able to square it, as nobody wants to be involved in the internal inquiry, but the signalman has to play along and if it is reported by anyone else, they could both be in the notverynice.  Their only excuse now is to claim that the signalman put the signal back to the 'on' position for some reason after having cleared it and the driver having seen it; he then has to 'put the lot in', a full emergency vacuum brake application, let's hope the guard is sitting safely in his seat!  Perhaps the signalman can say he saw kids playing on the line, or some obstruction which has gone by the time an inspector or the transport police turn up...

A lot of covering each others' backs went on back in the day to square away 'minor' errors of judgement such as half a loco past the post, but anything overtly dangerous was harder to deal with in this way.  The guard will cooperate as he is not squeaky clean himself, is he, displaying a single tail lamp as if his train is fully fitted when I can see the last grain hopper is in grey unfitted livery; where are his side lamps?

• Like 3

Thanks Johnster.  The driver has had it, no excuse.  He was definitely driving, the fireman was having a spell from firing and sitting in his seat.  No sign of the guard, and the signalman is a bit of a stickler for the regs.  I think any excuse he comes up with will be easily refuted.

Yes my knowledge of proto-type practice is a bit scant.  There is one unfitted wagon in the train, and to be honest I am not clued up on tail light combinations.  All my brake vans (fitted and unfitted) have red tail lamps (actually at either end so I can run them in both directions without faffing with changing the lamps).   I have added Modelu side lamps to a couple of  unfitted Toads. 

My 72xx is a design clever early version.  So moulded smokebox dart, and some other moulded detail.  Also the footplate had a curve at the front where the boiler stays linked to it.  I managed to straighten this out.  Personally I am not a purist with loco detail (especially when viewed from a couple of foot away), but some other Hornby models (Castles and Britannias spring to mind), have more individual detail.  Having said that I think the 72xx is a great loco.  Runs well, and to my mind captures the brutish look of the original.  Compared to the models on offer 25 years ago we are now blessed with an amazing range and quality of ready to run models.  All with excellent running characteristics in my experience .   In those days - I could never envisage any mainstream manufacturer producing a ready to run 72xx, 42xx or 52xx. 

Thanks for your comments, I always welcome feeedback from people who actually worked on the real railway.  My layout will never be strictly prototypical, but I hope to create an illusion that it might be.                   

All lovely scenes @Gopher. The post office and the industrial units shown in the post following are wonderful. I said similar before, but managing to keep an eye on the details like the overgrown greenery and enamel signs on the retaining wall on a layout of this size is really impressive. Looking forward to some more photos.

Adam