Gopher

21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Midland Red (Birmingham Midland Motor Omnibus) is a safe bet, their D9 double deckers were everywhere at one time and it is rumoured London Transport pinched a lot of the design for the Routemaster. Models are available!

21 hours ago, alant said:

His office was in Chilwell, Notts at their head office but he covered all of their routes as far as I know.

20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Barton coaches certainly got to places as exotic as Morecambe Euston Road bus depot, adjacent to the old L&NWR station of the same name.

Thanks all - sounds like my Barton double decker was not too out of place, and probably a better geographic option than its replacement Rapido model,   (although- the Rapido model is superbly detailed, and I've managed to add a driver and passengers to it).  My other bus is a Midland Red single decker.        

Well I have had a go at improving the road surface on Station Road, using the technique suggested by Mr Wolf earlier in this thread.  Given how rough some of the surface was I am pleased with the results.  It is not perfect in parts but a big improvement.  So thanks again Mr Wolf.  Photos below are of Station Road before and after shots and also show the replacement buildings.  Also a shot further up the street (before and after) showing  my replacement double decker.   I chickened out from trying to change the route signage on the front of the bus, and decided to run it the other way so the conductor is visible and the signage is not.  

I'll use the same technique on George Street at the other end of the layout.  The smoother surface may hopefully let me stencil some road markings on, and replace the stuck on Zebra crossing in George Street close to Lloyds Bank.       

20200505_143209.jpg

IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_4358.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

• Like 10

Thank you for the kind words, but it's all your own work. I am simply flattered that you had confidence in my advice. I really must get on with my own layout!

As for the results, I think you could ride the relic below down the street without certain parts of your anatomy getting such a bashing that you look like you have three Adams apples.... Ouch.

WP_20190818_17_43_41_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thank you for the kind words, but it's all your own work. I am simply flattered that you had confidence in my advice. I really must get on with my own layout!

As for the results, I think you could ride the relic below down the street without certain parts of your anatomy getting such a bashing that you look like you have three Adams apples.... Ouch.

WP_20190818_17_43_41_Pro.jpg

I would not have thought of it Mr Wolf without your comment, and would have added it to my list of things which bug me about the layout - but I am programmed to ignore.

I think the bike would be O.K as long as it kept away from the curb.  Even the AA motorcyclist seems happier. 

I have just used the same technique on another street on the layout.  I think the results are even better. I left the plaster mix slightly thicker.   I just need to paint the zebra crossing on this street, and will post some photos in due course.         

• Friendly/supportive 1

Makes a change from a bus on a bridge.  A Massey Ferguson Combine.  It is an Oxford Diecast model,  weathered and driver added.  The cutting table is a bit too big, and is a bit of a tight squeeze crossing the bridge.  I think a scale 8 or 10 ft table would be more realistic for this time period.  Unlike today's monster machines where the cutting width is 20 - 25ft and larger.          

IMG_4272.JPG

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4279.JPG

• Like 8

Nice looking combine, horrible things to work on though! Early ones had a petrol / paraffin engine which made for some interesting fires.

If I were to be picky though, it would never be run on the road with the grain elevator chute in the trailer loading position. It would get ripped off by hedgerows. No doubt Oxford modelled it in its working in the fields position, yet the reaper bars are raised at the front?

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nice looking combine, horrible things to work on though! Early ones had a petrol / paraffin engine which made for some interesting fires.

If I were to be picky though, it would never be run on the road with the grain elevator chute in the trailer loading position. It would get ripped off by hedgerows. No doubt Oxford modelled it in its working in the fields position, yet the reaper bars are raised at the front?

Yes nice model - but you cannot shift the grain elevator, you can move the cutting table, but not adjust the reaper bars.

I worked on a mixed farm in my yoof, we had a Bamford 8ft cut, which got upgraded to a Massey Ferguson 500 series combine with a 10 foot cut.  (which we thought was large). I think they both ran on red diesel so no petrol/ parafin fires.  Although I do remember a wheel working loose on the Massey in the middle of a field during the harvest.   So all stop.  I never drove the things but used to clean them ready for the harvest, and haul the grain trailers.   Ideally I would like a smaller combine for the layout.  I think some one once produced a white metal kit (but that might have been a tractor pulled reaper).    

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I learned to drive a tractor and do that during a French exchange stay with a farming family. I was 13.

Likewise but hauling potatoes in England at 13. The old Nuffield Universal had only the vaguest steering and brakes.

• Like 2

Combines were always breaking down, usually because they were ignored for 11 months of the year and last years dust and chaff dried all the grease out. Hot bearings were another favourite fire starter due to that old farming belief of when it's new it don't need greasing and when it's old it's too late!

• Like 1

Likewise but hauling potatoes in England at 13. The old Nuffield Universal had only the vaguest steering and brakes.

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I learned to drive a tractor and do that during a French exchange stay with a farming family. I was 13.

Combines were always breaking down, usually because they were ignored for 11 months of the year and last years dust and chaff dried all the grease out. Hot bearings were another favourite fire starter due to that old farming belief of when it's new it don't need greasing and when it's old it's too late!

Yes my first drive age 15 was a David Brown 990 hauling hay (when hay bales were much smaller, and much manual handling involved).  I can relate to the old farming belief - we only ever greased anything when it was probably too late.  Had to remember to drain tractor radiators in the winter because we never used anti freeze.  Talking of which  - we had some tractors with no cabs  so it was brass monkeys using the things on arable ground in the Autumn and Spring.  Couple of overcoats and two pairs of gloves necessary, and a pair of my mum's tights under my jeans .   Farming has certainly changed.             

• Like 3

I hated winters, bread bags over your socks, two pairs of jeans over a pair of leggings nicked from my girlfriend, grandad style overcoat and an old German army forage cap buttoned under your chin. We looked like refugees or the POWs my grandad had on the farm when my mum was a toddler. Going for a pee was a cumbersome task and spanners would stick to your hands sometimes. Still, a hoar frost was preferable to rain any day. Was this 1950? No, it was about 1983 and nobody seemed to care that you had to be 16 to drive a tractor.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I hated winters, bread bags over your socks, two pairs of jeans over a pair of leggings nicked from my girlfriend, grandad style overcoat and an old German army forage cap buttoned under your chin. We looked like refugees or the POWs my grandad had on the farm when my mum was a toddler. Going for a pee was a cumbersome task and spanners would stick to your hands sometimes. Still, a hoar frost was preferable to rain any day. Was this 1950? No, it was about 1983 and nobody seemed to care that you had to be 16 to drive a tractor.

Yes winters were the worst, but agree give me a cold dry day rather than a sodden winter one.  It was almost a rite of passage for us village lads, - play on farms, then start working on them in your hols (picking spuds about age 10), then hey ho you end up learning to drive a tractor at age 15 or 16.  Then end up using various  bits of machinery on arable ground, and around the farm by the time you were 17 or 18.   This would have been the 1970s/80s as well.   I doubt I could drive a modern tractor (without some instruction) with all the gismos, automatic gear boxes, 4 wheel drive etc., but the cab and heater and air conditioning would be welcome.       

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

No one seems to notice Sir William arriving at Platform 2

P.S it is not your eyes.  My dodgy camera work meant I had to realign the photos, otherwise it looked like Sir William was running up hill, and figures about to fall off the end of the earth.

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Good morning nice to see a Brit used to spot them at Liverpool St in the fifties like the weathering ,got some buildings on the way and some ModelU figures to go in them so will be busy for a while thank goodness.

Thanks Imsforever, yes I'm a fan of the Brits, and of Modelu figures come to that.  What buildings have you ordered ?   I have certainly done more railway modelling over the past few months than normal.  I am currently painting some Montys Models figures.  I think these are good but,  always seem to be a bit larger than Modelu figures.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another Brit fan here; one of the best combinations of 'modern' high running plates and good overall proportions.  I am perhaps biased, spelt i n f o r m e d, by childhood visits to Cardiff General to watch the Red Dragon's departure; Canton Brit bulled to the nines with the WR deflector hand holds polished up as well.  Stirring stuff, especially in combination with the impression of Vesuvius in full cry when the regulatro was opened...

• Like 2

I have recieved my kits from In The Greenwood ,two l/r shops one pub,two terrace houses lovely kits and very detailed. Will be completely changing the loook of my high st and using my ModelU figures to poulate them still like my Petite Properties but these fit the site well.

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Another Brit fan here; one of the best combinations of 'modern' high running plates and good overall proportions.  I am perhaps biased, spelt i n f o r m e d, by childhood visits to Cardiff General to watch the Red Dragon's departure; Canton Brit bulled to the nines with the WR deflector hand holds polished up as well.  Stirring stuff, especially in combination with the impression of Vesuvius in full cry when the regulatro was opened...

Glad your childhood was not wasted.  I'd love to have seen a Brit in the flesh, especially on the Red Dragon.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lmsforever said:

I have recieved my kits from In The Greenwood ,two l/r shops one pub,two terrace houses lovely kits and very detailed. Will be completely changing the loook of my high st and using my ModelU figures to poulate them still like my Petite Properties but these fit the site well.

Their kits look very good from what I have seen on their website.  I am sure you will enjoy building them.