Dapol Streamlined Railcar

GWR Man

I have a DCC FITTED  Dapol streamlined railcar 16 when I press function 2 the interior  lights stay on when i hold the switch down but as soon as I remove by hand the lights go off . All the other functions work .Does anybody what I am doing wrong many thanks GWR Man

• RMweb Premium

On the main railcar post, I asked this question ages ago, but I'm afraid can't remember the answer at the moment!

F2 needs to be reprogrammed to allow a non latching function.

However, I too have bought a DCC fitted railcar (No 17 Parcels) and was surprised there wasn't a decoder instruction sheet. I will ask Dapol for one, together with the latching issue.

Dapol shouldn't really use F2 for the internal lighting function.

• RMweb Premium

If you have a decent European brand (Lenz, Zimo etc.) decoder, function mapping should be part of the spec.

If you use JMRI Decoder Pro* you should find it amongst the program options.

* IMHO everyone should have this (it's free) it cuts out a lot of decoder program hassle.

See this for a Lenz  decoder:

1818807899_functions2.JPG.efea2d742c704be610f1c5793a4275de.JPG

functions.JPG.3cae9a5dc44c9c40d42e25974a73274f.JPG

• Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

If you have a decent European brand (Lenz, Zimo etc.) decoder, function mapping should be part of the spec.

* IMHO everyone should have this (it's free) it cuts out a lot of decoder program hassle.

That looks very interesting, but I'm none the wiser. Perhaps you would kindly explain how that helps to change function 2 to non-latching, or change F2 to another F number that does latch.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, paftrain said:

That looks very interesting, but I'm none the wiser. Perhaps you would kindly explain how that helps to change function 2 to non-latching, or change F2 to another F number that does latch.

If you want The output that is currently on F2 which is non latching, (in this case output D) to be on a different function key (e.g. F4, which is a latching function) just place the tick for "D" in F4 and write that change to the decoder.

(Mine are still on F2 as the DCC system & decoders are European)

I think in this case you would need to also remove the tick in F4 = Momentum as well

Edited by melmerby

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

If you want The output that is currently on F2 which is non latching, (in this case output D) to be on a different function key (e.g. F4, which is a latching function) just place the tick for "D" in F4 and write that change to the decoder.

(Mine are still on F2 as the DCC system & decoders are European)

Thanks Keith. You are presumably still on 'Decoder Pro', but I'm not! How can I do this with a Gaugemaster Prodigy2?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, paftrain said:

Thanks Keith. You are presumably still on 'Decoder Pro', but I'm not! How can I do this with a Gaugemaster Prodigy2?

JMRI is a software add on for DCC systems, you need a serial or USB connection then Just download and install JMRI on a computer (Windows, Mac or Linux)

(It will run on a Raspberry Pi)

You would need the USB interface if you don't already have one.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, paftrain said:

My PC is downstairs and not exactly portable while my layout is in my attic. So the answer to my question is 'no you can't do that on a Prodigy2'?

Sorry about that.

I'm so used to seeing computers everywhere that I assumed you might have one nearby that you could use for programming.

Decoder Pro certainly makes setting up decoders really easy.

I wouldn't like to attempt to do it using just the keys on a handheld controller, although it's possible with the right decoders.

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, melmerby said:

This looks fantastic! I have an NCE Powercab - do you know what I would need to get from where I am now to this? I mean the bit between having a Powercab and a having a laptop - the 'bit' in the middle :)

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

This looks fantastic! I have an NCE Powercab - do you know what I would need to get from where I am now to this? I mean the bit between having a Powercab and a having a laptop - the 'bit' in the middle :)

It depends whether the system has a USB interface or not.

Without one you can't do anything but some systems do it as an add on. NCE do one for the Powercab:

https://www.ncedcc.com/online-store/USB-Interface-for-Power-Cab-p38322160

UK stockist:

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/nce/computer-interfaces/

The NCE link is a bit iffy on my laptop!

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

It depends whether the system has a USB interface or not.

Without one you can't do anything but some systems do it as an add on. NCE do one for the Powercab:

https://www.ncedcc.com/online-store/USB-Interface-for-Power-Cab-p38322160

UK stockist:

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/nce/computer-interfaces/

The NCE link is a bit iffy on my laptop!

Thanks for taking the time to give this detailed answer - much appreciated :)