LNER Lineside structures

EHertsGER

I would be grateful for any guidance our collected expertise might be able to offer in identifying what appears to be a LNER 'standard' lineside structure built in wood in the same manner as the adjacent signal box.

I am particularly interested in its purpose (signaling/plate-laying equipment? It seems rather grand for a simple platelayer's hut, and there's one just up the line in short walking distance anyway) and, more importantly to me as a modeler, the availability of drawings.

At first glance it is often mistaken for the concrete huts the LNER scattered about, but I know it was wooden as I am familiar with it as it was and know it burned down some time c1973.

The building to which I refer can just about be seen in the accompanying photographs as the ridge roofed structure set to the left and slightly to the rear of the signal box at Widford on the Buntingford Branch.

Any help would be welcomed. Modellers of the LNER may find a model of it appearing shortly, if one does not already exist.

Best,

MarcusBQEC3276.PNG.4e04da8a0771397d615912f09b136b56.PNG121625279_PhotoMar1855740PM.jpg.5fa97915fb83a085b796d0aa9a1b6c6c.jpg1948618341_2015-02-2107_08_49.png.e44304eb2088fd0917ee25d3d620a4ca.png

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 2

Could be the oil/lamp hut.  These huts were used to store the signal lamp oil and to fill up the signal lamps as well as the various oil lamps around the station.  Waltham, where my Father was the Station Master had a wooden lamp room with an extended end that had been made into a general storage room.   I know most of the small stations had such a lamp/oil hut. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1