Transfers for BR 'A' Type container...

Nickey Line

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if anyone can help... 

Some while ago I built a Slater's Conflat A and an 'A' Type container to go with it.

IMG_1348.JPG.9ee252624bc2755ea60f6ccfb8fa66d4.JPG

As yet they're unlettered, as I've so far found it impossible to find an economical way of obtaining suitable transfers for the container. I'm aware of the Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL40, but at £24 for one container it's bit extravagant,,, and I'd still need markings for the conflat!

Is there a source I'm unaware of, or will I have to bite the bullet... or perhaps build loads more containers :unsure_mini:

Thanks in anticipation for your assistance!

• RMweb Premium

M&M used to do transfers just for containers at under £10.

They have changed hands I believe but what I had thought was their stand was at a show fairly recently so I think they are still about in some form - someone may be able to advise who to contact now.

I feel your pain as I used up all the tiny yellow Ws off a massive sheet of stuff costing 18 quid, most of which I hadn't used the first time let alone if I bought another one!

7 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

They have changed hands I believe but what I had thought was their stand was at a show fairly recently so I think they are still about in some form - someone may be able to advise who to contact now.

I feel your pain as I used up all the tiny yellow Ws off a massive sheet of stuff costing 18 quid, most of which I hadn't used the first time let alone if I bought another one!

Now First Class Kits 

https://www.firstclasskits.co.uk

Doesn't look like the full range of transfers are listed yet though 

2 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

I wonder if anyone can help... 

Some while ago I built a Slater's Conflat A and an 'A' Type container to go with it.

IMG_1348.JPG.9ee252624bc2755ea60f6ccfb8fa66d4.JPG

As yet they're unlettered, as I've so far found it impossible to find an economical way of obtaining suitable transfers for the container. I'm aware of the Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL40, but at £24 for one container it's bit extravagant,,, and I'd still need markings for the conflat!

Is there a source I'm unaware of, or will I have to bite the bullet... or perhaps build loads more containers :unsure_mini:

Thanks in anticipation for your assistance!

When wagon spotting in books, containers were very popular, so build more. 

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Now First Class Kits 

https://www.firstclasskits.co.uk

Doesn't look like the full range of transfers are listed yet though 

They don't currently do the ones I'm after (yellow/straw lettering) but it might be worth asking...

1 hour ago, markjj said:

Fox transfers do a sheet you wont get much better or cheaper for the price either. This does wagons and the container. 

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/containers-conflat-a-full-livery-pack-59296

These unfortunately are 4mm... and again no yellow/straw...

Thank you all for your help... the search goes on!

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Bigbee Line said:

When wagon spotting in books, containers were very popular, so build more. 

When I do build a 7mm layout, it will be of somewhat restricted size, so more than a couple of conflats/containers is out of the question! 16 tonners, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

When I do build a 7mm layout, it will be of somewhat restricted size, so more than a couple of conflats/containers is out of the question! 16 tonners, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

not sure of the proportions but containers were a big share. There were also a lot of wagons converted to take containers, so some ideal easy conversions. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Bigbee Line said:

not sure of the proportions but containers were a big share. There were also a lot of wagons converted to take containers, so some ideal easy conversions. 

If I were to hazard a guess I'd say at least 20-1 to the 16 tonners...

10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I know the feeling as well as always seem to be short of the yellow Ss, 1's, 0's and Buffet :lol:

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

These unfortunately are 4mm... and again no yellow/straw...

Sorry I sent the wrong link it should have been this but still not straw though. 

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/containers-conflat-a-full-livery-pack

Have you tried Old time workshop they do a set of conflat and container ones I'm not sure if they are Straw though.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for the replies.

CCTrans  (Cambridge Custom) were mentioned in my first post...^_^

The Fox Transfers pack is even more expensive and doesn't provide the right items...

Old Time Workshops do a well-priced pack for a few wagons... but only BD containers.

Hal's idea is the only viable option at present; a route I was hoping to be able to avoid! Perhaps I could sell the surplus on RMWeb...:)

I don't know if it is any help but, when I built the Slater's BD container many years ago, I used Clasp Decals which were white but I went over them in yellow after fitting,  I don't think you can tell.  I've recently done a Skytrex A container in bauxite (post 1956) and used the included white transfers. It might be worth talking to Skytrex to see if they'll supply the small sheet which does just one container and colouring them yellow yourself.

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

Hal's idea is the only viable option at present; a route I was hoping to be able to avoid! Perhaps I could sell the surplus on RMWeb...:)

I've have my moments although I must confess it has literally only just dawned on me that I have an A and a BD to do as well in the earlier BR period! How many containers does a sheet do? I might be interested in helping out!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I've have my moments although I must confess it has literally only just dawned on me that I have an A and a BD to do as well in the earlier BR period! How many containers does a sheet do? I might be interested in helping out!

That in theory is a very good idea; alas, the BD transfers are on sheet BL39!

This from the CCTrans website:-

"Sheet BL39 - BR B, BD & BK containers to Diagrams GWR BD3, BK1, BK3; LMS 65, 66, 102; LNER 40;  SR 3026, 3028; BR 3/049, 050, 051, 052, 125, 126 & 127.

Designed for the kit-built and ready-made containers that are available in the popular scales, with full yellow lettering for crimson and maroon containers. 21 sets of transfers.

Sheet BL40 - BR A, DX & FM containers to Diagrams GWR A4; LMS 18, 19, 20, 207, 333; LNER 32, 38, 39;  SR 3027; BR 3/001, 002, 003, 200, 201, 204, 599.

Designed for the kit-built and ready-made containers that are available in the popular scales, with yellow, white and black lettering for crimson / maroon,  grey & white containers. 21 sets of transfers."

So transfers for 21 containers on each sheet at £24 each, which presumably means 7 of each type.

And you'd still need another sheet for the conflats...

Edited by Nickey Line
More info...

22 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

I'm aware of the Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL40, but at £24 for one container it's bit extravagant,,, and I'd still need markings for the conflat!

Let's be fair - it's £24 for 21 containers - not 1.

You may only have one container, but there are lots of different types and regions on my transfers sheets - because modellers always seem to want something different from the last one!

Use the set you need, and sell the rest here or on Ebay.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Let's be fair - it's £24 for 21 containers - not 1.

You may only have one container, but there are lots of different types and regions on my transfers sheets - because modellers always seem to want something different from the last one!

Use the set you need, and sell the rest here or on Ebay.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Well yes this is the conclusion I seem to be heading towards... ^_^

And to be fair, I did point out in a later post that there were markings for 21 containers ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't know if this is too late to the party to help but I found some printable waterslide transfer paper on ebay - link follows.

A4 Waterslide Copier Paper

This means you could make up your own sets of transfers for a wagon although you may have some trouple replicating the 'Flying Box' image if you needed it.

Only suitable for colour laser printers (who would've guessed)  so your only problem may be finding someone who has one you can use.

Hope this helps,

Art

• Thanks 1