Class 800 Renumbering disaster - Help!

Fel1xp

So my first attempt at renumbering went south during the varnish stage. 

The original transfers were rubbed off with IPA, gloss surface for transfers. However, I sealed in the transfers with a can of Matt varnish resulting in a poor finish with thick outlines and contrasting finish to the loco  (see pictures) - You can see how thick the varnish is

I’m looking to start all over again - Does anyone know what to use to dissolve the Matt varnish? IPA results in a white misty residue / doesn’t really work. I also don’t want to damage the original paintwork 

- does the Class 800 also have a satin finish as opposed to Matt as I don’t want to make the same mistake again!

F5065011-0F6D-4F79-BDDC-4CB214269CCC.jpeg

0F5ADC27-98E0-4999-A8F6-FD1180902CA2.jpeg

The best thing may be to use some T-Cut paint restorer on a cotton bud to try and remove the varnish and get back to the factory paint finish. Be careful not to remove any of the safety markings on the body. This will give you a good surface to start again. Be careful though not to cut too deep and remove the green paint.

Hope this helps

• Agree 1

Microsol and  Microset  (or the MiG equivalents) are what you need.

Start with a gloss paint finish. Microset onto the area where the decal will sit.  Apply decal in the usual way. Use a cotton bud to (carefully) flatten the decal, beware of cotton fibres.  leave to dry.

Airbubbles or non-flat surface? - add Microsol - this softens the decal and allows it to flatten properly.  Don't try and move the decal at this stage or it may dissolve into tine pixels!

Always practice first on a non-valuable vehicle. Cheap airfix planes are good to practice on until you feel confident.  Lots of info and youtube videos online.

You should be able to sort your existing issue out with Microsol - may need several applications but allow to dry between each.  Don't try and move the decal.

Hope this helps

8 hours ago, Fel1xp said:

All good ideas, Ill pick up the materials tomorrow.

Any suggestions on which satin varnish? I like Phoenix Precision but not the £5 postage...

I often use Railmatch satin varnish, enamel that is, and get it from Rainbow Railways or Howes.

Rainbow also sell Precision and are a great seller.

john