The Yorkshire Steam Railway: All Aboard. series Three

birdseyecircus

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2020 at 21:27, birdseyecircus said:

Very enjoyable. Bit disjointed in the editing with the s160 first service train being on three different platforms in 10 seconds 

Paul

Vaguely edited footage- it was in the Shed on the 26th August when we rode on the line, then I recall it was on the roster on the 29th and 30th. Everything else seen on the first programme is in the same place and the same way round, the LNER coach sat on jacks with its new bogies outside.

We didn't see any characters or filming except for a drone above the top end of Goathland, which will be the B1 on the Carmine and Cream set passing 80136 on the Teak set. 

I noticed one mistake, though perhaps 'spoiler' is a better word.  On last night's episode the "jeopardy" was whether they would get the 9F (incidentally, not as rare as the commentary suggested) ready in time for the festival. 

Yet the adverts for the "weekend at the railway" competition featured the 9F happily chuffing away along the line.

jh

Got to have jeopardy in the programme to get the viewing figures apparently and very much aimed at the general public.

Reckon with the characters and the jeopardy you could quite easily come up with a drinking game to play during the programme!

All in, fantastic advert for the NYMR and heritage railways in general on prime time tv.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

I kept wondering about their "rare" 9F.  I wonder if it was the last 9F from Barry to be restored to running and thus the production team scriptwriter decided to label it "rare", as if they were flogging it on the Bay of E?

And if that were MY King, I'd be petrified by the lack of clearance!

45 minutes ago, Andrew Young said:

Got to have jeopardy in the programme to get the viewing figures apparently

The cliff-hanging advert breaks are one of the main reasons I don't watch regularly, I only watched last night as there was nothing else on..... 

59 minutes ago, Bonafide said:

Class 9F 92134 is the only one in preservation with a single chimney; all others have a double chimney.

In one sense 92134 is unique, but in the context of the programme was misleading without explaining that detail.

The NYMR probably told them correctly, but maybe the details got edited out to make for better TV, as usual. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am just pleased that the programme is exists !

I don't find it necessary to find fault and enjoy watching the trials and tribulations of a preserved railway without the need for minute criticism .

Yes we all know that editing can be somewhat disjointed but why not take it as a whole and relax when there is virtually nothing other than bad news and cr*p shown on most television these days.

I will look forward to the next episode cup of tea in hand hoping that Piglets bits survive !

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 6
  • Agree 9

20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I agree, they are just boring 'i am cleverer than they are' comments.

Sorry, I wasn't pointing out my cleverness (or lack thereof), rather that their own adverts were spoiling the carefully created 'jeopardy' in the programme.

jh

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jchinuk said:

Sorry, I wasn't pointing out my cleverness (or lack thereof), rather that their own adverts were spoiling the carefully created 'jeopardy' in the programme.

jh

That's the problem with a lot of modern TV is all the false jeopardy 

When you watch a documentary from the past there is a lot less of it an more factual information 

Like this for example 

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/5493

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, russ p said:

false jeopardy 

Somebody told me there were lots of jobs going in Jeopardy so I took a trip there and found out it was false too !

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, jchinuk said:

jh

Sorry, it wasn't intended to be directed at your post and it's not just this topic by any means.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, russ p said:

When you watch a documentary from the past there is a lot less of it an more factual information 

Like this for example 

A tasty looking British Rail breakfast can be seen also !!

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, russ p said:

Like this for example 

It is not a documentary.

It's a light entertainment series about a heritage railway.

• Agree 8

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

... if that were MY King, I'd be petrified by the lack of clearance!...

That at least was real - if modest - jeopardy! I presume the Gala went off all right, with the King only coasting slowly when adjacent platforms?

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

...The cliff-hanging advert breaks are one of the main reasons I don't watch regularly...

Doesn't everybody record and skip now? I run most TV programmes speeded up as well, dropping to proper speed when something interesting pops up, another advantage of recording rather than watching as broadcast.

I was entertained, especially when the NYMR's people were talking; and also by all that sunshine which is never much in evidence when I visit! Not really too severe a penalty, all snug in a  lovely springy and slightly creaking Gresley carriage, it's a lovely run.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Doesn't everybody record and skip now? I run most TV programmes speeded up as well, dropping to proper speed when something interesting pops up, another advantage of recording rather than watching as broadcast.

I record everything, even regularly watched programmes. (Two recorders so plenty of space, No programme clash problems!)

It means you don't have to be ready at exactly the time it starts.

• Agree 2