Freight in The Peak District

EWS FAN

• RMweb Gold

Amazon review says good pictures but largely at Peak Forest and little detailed information (maps for example)

Edit :

I've ordered a copy as I'm interested in the area, should have it tomorrow.

Edited by beast66606
ordered
  • Like 1

To quote from the introduction the author 'aims to illustrate the changes that have taken place since 2001, with some additional photos included from 1991' As well as Peak Forrest there are photos at Tunstead, Earle's Sidings, Hindlow, and Great Rocks Junction. And there is a map, admittedly a small scale one.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you enjoyed the books if you have received and read through them now. The first Amazon review was rather hmm quite how some guy in the USA can comment on the book content is beyond me got wonder if he has ever been to Peak District...

The map was a late inclusion to at least try and put the locations into some context. Adding all the sub-locations would have made a rather cluttered map in my opinion.

The next book is due in mid April and that is on the famous Hoppers that were/are used on the longstanding flow of crushed limestone from Tunstead quarry to Northwich.

Cheers Paul 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

I hope you enjoyed the books if you have received and read through them now. The first Amazon review was rather hmm quite how some guy in the USA can comment on the book content is beyond me got wonder if he has ever been to Peak District...

The map was a late inclusion to at least try and put the locations into some context. Adding all the sub-locations would have made a rather cluttered map in my opinion.

The next book is due in mid April and that is on the famous Hoppers that were/are used on the longstanding flow of crushed limestone from Tunstead quarry to Northwich.

Cheers Paul 

Hi Paul

is the next book on hoppers different to the book you did a number of years ago on the hoppers

Cheers Dave

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dave parker said:

Hi Paul

is the next book on hoppers different to the book you did a number of years ago on the hoppers

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave, yes a much condensed and updated history introduction followed by all new photos covering the all the hopper designs from the classic well known vacuum-braked designs through to the current air-braked wagons still used today.

There are only a handful of photos that I have used again as in the original book was forced to make them into mono prints due to costs plus discovering that mono prints I had copies of were in fact prints off colour slide originals. Each photo has a descriptive caption too.

Cheers Paul

Edited by pharrc20
Missed word
  • Like 2