Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow Grand Trunk Railway

DavidB-AU

While searching for historical snippets in the GCR to Birmingham thread, a few vague references popped up for a proposed "Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow Grand Trunk Railway" in 1892. There are only a few very brief mentions in any newspapers or journals, namely:

- It was projected to cost £12 million

- The Rochedale Chamber of Commerce was supportive

- The Newcastle Corporation was supportive and granted £1500 towards preliminary expenses

- It would be raised in the House of Lords "next year"

That's all I could find.

Has anybody else come across published references or details of the proposal?

Cheers

David

• Informative/Useful 1

I hope this link works:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=nhVCAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA505&lpg=PA505&dq="Manchester,+Newcastle+and+Glasgow+Grand+Trunk+Railway"&source=bl&ots=6M5Ed2k4Fp&sig=ACfU3U1iNFrN7cdVyoYwUyuk8icMqe7Y5w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUosKpm8vnAhVQrp4KHRy1A0gQ6AEwAnoECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q="Manchester%2C Newcastle and Glasgow Grand Trunk Railway"&f=false

It's a link to 'The Railway Times' of October 15, 1892, page 505. About 2 pages of information, with a description of various parts of the proposed route. 

(Edit - there's actually several other references to the proposal in that edition, including one titled "Another Railway Pour Rire").

Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

This is all I get in the preview.

content.png.879ca29441b4587ad87a8af75c941b44.png

There is a "button" a little further down labelled "where is the rest of this book?". Click on that and instructions come up on how to get the rest.

I may do that this evening when I have more time. Just waiting for a delivery of materials.