• RMweb Premium

Andy

I've mentioned elsewhere that I am contemplating building a small O gauge layout to supplement the OO gauge layout in  the garage.

I've been jotting down numerous possibly suitable track plans that I've come across over the last couple of months.

Amongst those were the classic Inglenook and its 1st cousin once removed the Timesaver.

Looking for images of said Timesaver layouts on the Internet yesterday led me to your layout of St Budoc and the abridged write-up in the Peco Compact Layouts publication.

That in turn led me to this thread, which I subsequently devoured completely. Fortunately for me it wasn't one of your longer threads so I managed to get to bed last night!

Anyway, I've been doodling with AnyRail this morning and arrived at the following plan.

1564005266_StBudocme.jpg.0ceecee796de67f2cd00b5385feb7d76.jpg

I've cut it down by a couple of feet compared to yours and made it a few inches narrower. The sector plate is currently pivoted nearer the middle of its length which saves a bit more space if that idea works. This would allow me to remove it when the layout is stored.

Can you cast your mind back to the layout and tell me if it was built over a couple of boards or on one long one?

My version is going to have to be built on a couple of boards and the position of the points is (luckily) dictated by the join between the two boards.

I'd like to be able to hinge the two boards so that they face each other when folded so structures will either have to be small - so that they can stay on the layout - or be few and far between so that I only have to remember to remove a minimum number prior to folding the boards.

I will start a thread about the layout once I start construction and hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea or re-opening this thread after so long.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Andy

I've mentioned elsewhere that I am contemplating building a small O gauge layout to supplement the OO gauge layout in  the garage.

I've been jotting down numerous possibly suitable track plans that I've come across over the last couple of months.

Amongst those were the classic Inglenook and its 1st cousin once removed the Timesaver.

Looking for images of said Timesaver layouts on the Internet yesterday led me to your layout of St Budoc and the abridged write-up in the Peco Compact Layouts publication.

That in turn led me to this thread, which I subsequently devoured completely. Fortunately for me it wasn't one of your longer threads so I managed to get to bed last night!

Anyway, I've been doodling with AnyRail this morning and arrived at the following plan.

1564005266_StBudocme.jpg.0ceecee796de67f2cd00b5385feb7d76.jpg

I've cut it down by a couple of feet compared to yours and made it a few inches narrower. The sector plate is currently pivoted nearer the middle of its length which saves a bit more space if that idea works. This would allow me to remove it when the layout is stored.

Can you cast your mind back to the layout and tell me if it was built over a couple of boards or on one long one?

My version is going to have to be built on a couple of boards and the position of the points is (luckily) dictated by the join between the two boards.

I'd like to be able to hinge the two boards so that they face each other when folded so structures will either have to be small - so that they can stay on the layout - or be few and far between so that I only have to remember to remove a minimum number prior to folding the boards.

I will start a thread about the layout once I start construction and hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea or re-opening this thread after so long.

Hi Ray, Yes it was two boards, with the join under the removable Bridge, you can just see the over centre latches in these two shots. 

Good luck with the Build mate.

B3.jpg.26f966d3a2e367630717887087826135.jpg

DSCF1011.jpg.ea88e527071922e84deb4bcedfafe9dc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took so much inspiration from this that my sidings layout was pretty much designed on the basis of a pannier sitting on some grassy track.

It still inspires me to this day, and so does Seven Mills!

:good:

Edited by PannierTanker14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

I took so much inspiration from this that my sidings layout was pretty much created on the basis of a pannier sitting on some grassy track.

It still inspires me to this day, and so does Seven Mills!

:good:

Thanks PT, Glad it's come in useful mate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the plan in the Peco booklet makes me think you had two boards of unequal length. Is that right?

I've also had a closer look at my likely storage space and may be able to stretch the two boards to around 47 inches long and just maybe to a full two feet wide.

I also have the nucleus of another idea racing around trying to find my brain which could see the layout spread over three boards each 3 feet or thereabouts long. I think that I should then be able to keep all the points on one board.

Can you recall what the length of the sector plate was and what made you settle on that length? Was it something as simple as a single track length is 36 inches long?

Sorry for all the questions.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray I had a sector plate on my Sparrow's Wharf layout. I used C+L track which is sold in 1m lengths so that is what I used. Mine used to swing from the main line to behind the visible bits of the layout layout where I could run onto Cassettes. I also worked for me as  the 1m train less a small loco could be run round on the visible section. The sector length needs to fit in with the visible sections. It is a waste if the sector will hold a train to long to be handled on stage and no good it the trains are too short to be interesting. 1m was long enough for a small loco and 6 or at a push severn wagons including the brake van.

Don

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ray H said:

Looking at the plan in the Peco booklet makes me think you had two boards of unequal length. Is that right?

I've also had a closer look at my likely storage space and may be able to stretch the two boards to around 47 inches long and just maybe to a full two feet wide.

I also have the nucleus of another idea racing around trying to find my brain which could see the layout spread over three boards each 3 feet or thereabouts long. I think that I should then be able to keep all the points on one board.

Can you recall what the length of the sector plate was and what made you settle on that length? Was it something as simple as a single track length is 36 inches long?

Sorry for all the questions.

Hi Ray, Yes your right, the boards were un equal length, as I already had a bit of wood left from a previous FAILED project that I used for the main board, and yes again, your right, the sector plate was the length of a Yard of Track, as was the siding in front for the Clay loading.

I've just had a look at my write up and the main board would have been just under 6ft with a 3ft F/Yard board to fit in my 9ft room.

Hope that helps Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Andy. At least that proves my powers of deduction haven't been too deduced!

I'm off to the Great Electric Train show here in MK over the weekend to pick up a few bits vital for track laying. All I need to do then is decide exactly what space I can make use of and I'll be able to start baseboard building.

I'll leave this thread to return to its slumbers now and start my own once there's anything definite to report.

Thanks for your help mate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Thanks for that Andy. At least that proves my powers of deduction haven't been too deduced!

I'm off to the Great Electric Train show here in MK over the weekend to pick up a few bits vital for track laying. All I need to do then is decide exactly what space I can make use of and I'll be able to start baseboard building.

I'll leave this thread to return to its slumbers now and start my own once there's anything definite to report.

Thanks for your help mate.

Thanks Ray, all the best with your project and enjoy GETS.