Tracking down an old RM

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

I'm trying to track down which edition of Railway Modeller in 1960/1961 contained a splendid photo of an ex-SR Mogul at Chedworth on the old MSWJR line.

I'm sure the caption referred to the line's imminent closure (which was of course, in 1961).

I've not seen the photo reproduced elsewhere and when you see it you'll agree it's a cracking photo.

I'm not after a scan or spare copy as one will sure to be on ebay but any help in ascertaining which edition it's in would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 4109 said:

Hi folks,

I'm trying to track down which edition of Railway Modeller in 1960/1961 contained a splendid photo of an ex-SR Mogul at Chedworth on the old MSWJR line.

I'm sure the caption referred to the line's imminent closure (which was of course, in 1961).

I've not seen the photo reproduced elsewhere and when you see it you'll agree it's a cracking photo.

I'm not after a scan or spare copy as one will sure to be on ebay but any help in ascertaining which edition it's in would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob.

Are you sure about the year range, as I've just looked at my copies and no sign. Unless it's May 1961, as I don't have that issue.

12 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Are you sure about the year range, as I've just looked at my copies and no sign. Unless it's May 1961, as I don't have that issue.

Agreed. I have done the same, did not see it May 1961, but could not find my copy of Nov 1961.

CP

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for looking folks,

That's odd. I was sure it was either 1960/61.

I used to have a complete run from issue 1 to 1977 but moving house 18 months ago I decided to give them to the local railway to sell.....I should have kept some :(.

• RMweb Premium

As Ken Bruce might say "One Year Out!"  January 1962 issue, p.14   Photo by J S Gilks.

The photo caption reads: "The branch line look. A Cheltenham-Southampton train passes through Chedworth village on September 24, 1960"

HTH

Richard

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RichardT said:

As Ken Bruce might say "One Year Out!"  January 1962 issue, p.14   Photo by J S Gilks.

The photo caption reads: "The branch line look. A Cheltenham-Southampton train passes through Chedworth village on September 24, 1960"

HTH

Richard

Must admit I was expecting to see a better photo of the loco, rather than a scenic shot!

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant! Thanks for finding that. It's certainly appreciated :dance_mini:

It's such a delightful view of a lovely stretch of line and local to me.  I was a little out with the issue date though wasn't I!  Thanks again.