Suitable decoder recommendations?

Jonnyb

Hi all I wonder if you can help.

I'm finally moving to DCC now I'm going to build a new oo layout. I was going to buy the gaugemaster prodigy advance controller as this seems to meet my needs and I like the look of the controller.

I'm just struggling with decoders, friend recommended zimo ones but I'm not sure what ones I need. I'm not interested in sound and have 10 plus locos to convert so after a lower cost option where possible (some are Hornby Bachmann DCC ready with variety of pins).

Any suggestions or guidance, there seem to be lots of choices.

Many thanks

Jon 

As your friend sensibly advised, Zimo make superb decoders, and some of their range is available at a decent "mid-market" price of around £20.  

What you need is (a) the right number of pins, and (b) enough current to handle your locos.  Hornby and Bachmann are usually OK on current draw, so no issues there (unlike some Heljan which can need higher current decoders).    Then just pick what has the right connections and a good price. 

Within the Zimo £20 range include:

8-pin is also called "NEM 652" after then standards body/number for it.  Zimo MX600R  (R= NEM652 in Zimo codes),  other options exist

6-pin (more common in N, but in some smaller OO items) is NEM651.    MX617N     (N = NEM651 in Zimo codes)

NexT socket (eg. new Bachmann J72).   MX618

21pin is likely to be more expensive, I think all Zimo options are nearer £30.  You might find an ESU LokPilot V4 standard for nearer £22/£23 is more cost-effective for any locos fitted with the MTC-21 pin connector.  

In all cases you need to check the outer dimensions of decoder matches the space in your locos.   If they won't fit, there are many alternatives. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Check out Lenz for a basic 8 pin decoder.

Good motor control and plenty of set up options.

Lenz Standard + V2 is also around the £20 mark.

I would steer clear of the Hornby R8249 as it is way overpriced for the spec.

1 hour ago, Jonnyb said:

... I was going to buy the gaugemaster prodigy advance controller as this seems to meet my needs and I like the look of the controller...

Don't go by appearance, it's how well the system interface works in or under your hand that is the difference between adequate and enjoyable. This hobby is supposed to be fun, so best to buy something you will enjoy using. Try and get to a shop or show or two where DCC vendors have the kit for you to try.

I have the same requirement as yourself, a good decoder to drive the motors, little else. I started out standardised on Lenz, and have any number of their 'standard' decoders installed since this lower cost option was introduced: always good, but with the limitation of only in 8 pin format. The welcome recent introduction of the price competitive Zimo MX600 range with a selection of fittings means I now won't need to do many soldered in (hard wired) installations. You pay more for these two brands than for the really low price decoders,  but you get much more in performance.

• Agree 2

Wow thanks chaps this really is very useful information, especially the descriptions of the pin arrangements.

most of the retailers for the zimo ones don’t seem to have very good descriptions. I’m glad to hear on the right lines with zimos so will follow that route.

As for the controller I was just keen to have a knob and point motor function control without having a laptop on the go.

any suggestions on the best shop/retailer for zimo decoders?

6 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

....Within the Zimo £20 range include:

8-pin    MX600R  

6-pin    MX617N    

NexT18   MX618

6 hours ago, NIK said:

Zimo also do a 21 pin DCC decoder for £20.

The MX600 is available in 3 versions....

MX600R   8-pin socket on wires.  (as mentioned by Nigel)

MX600.   Wires only, no plug.   (for hardwiring in locos with no socket - i.e. not DCC Ready)

MX600P12  PluX 12-pin direct fit. (Will fit a loco with a Plux12, PluX16 or PluX22 socket)

The Zimo low cost 21-pin decoder mentioned by Nik, is the MX638D, which as far as I can tell, is basically a MX634D without the stay alive interface.

It has 6 function outputs plus 2 logic level and servo outputs. It looks like a lot of decoder for just £20.

18 minutes ago, Jonnyb said:

.....any suggestions on the best shop/retailer for zimo decoders?

A couple of clickable links below....

Coastal DCC

DCC Train Automation

• RMweb Gold

After trying Gaugemaster and DCC Concepts budget decoders, I now only use Zimo. I tend to go for the MX623. Very small and compact, ideal for my kit loco's and RTR where space is limited. The Zimo website has a chart showing the different decoders available with tech specs and dimensions.

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/products/lokdecoder_EN.htm

Ian

• Like 1