Railway Modeller watching the trains go by

Strathwood

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone shed some light on an article in The Railway Modeller in the 1970s that carried a plan for an n gauge layout as I recall entitled "watching the trains go by" if my memory is correct it was a clever plan allowing a single track to appear as a double track allowing the trains to run past the viewer in both directions?

Kevin

6 hours ago, Strathwood said:

Can anyone shed some light on an article in The Railway Modeller in the 1970s that carried a plan for an n gauge layout as I recall entitled "watching the trains go by" if my memory is correct it was a clever plan allowing a single track to appear as a double track allowing the trains to run past the viewer in both directions?

Kevin

Plan of the Month in late 1978 or early 1979. My increasingly unreliable memory is associating it with pink cover lettering which, I think, would make it September or March, but my collection is boxed up and inaccessible so I can't check. IIRC it was a concept, not an existing layout. I also remember the sort of watercolour sketches that appeared with Roy Link articles, which would fit with the period. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Strathwood said:

Kevin

'Watching the trains go by' appears in RM for February 1979, as Plan of the Month. No author is given, but could be CJF.

Edit it could be Roy Link as the article contains the watercolour sketch as suggested by PatB.

Edited by kevinlms
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Chris M said:

Yes I recall a layout built by John Allison. Was it a sea wall one? The one I'm thinking of had some form of automation maybe using a tape reel and also location sounds such as the sea and seagulls.

Yes, I remember that. It was a layout looped around in such a way that the train went around 4 times IIRC.

Definitely by John Allison.

• Agree 1

I remember that layout, as I was dabbling in 'N' around the age of 11 and it looked fascinating.  Another one about that time was 'The Little Long Drag' unless I am very much mistaken.  Full length trains in the 'Big Country' must've resonated with me, hence my cultish Waverley route/ MNA obsession all these years later.... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

14 hours ago, Chris M said:

Yes I recall a layout built by John Allison. Was it a sea wall one? The one I'm thinking of had some form of automation maybe using a tape reel and also location sounds such as the sea and seagulls.

Yes, I remember that. It was a layout looped around in such a way that the train went around 4 times IIRC.

Definitely by John Allison.

This sounds like the one I was looking for chaps, yes I think it was a sea wall concept. The other one mentioned I think just involved a simple dog bone loop with artwork to suggest it was an inner city line alongside a canal if i recall correctly. the one I am chasing for ideas and inspiration was the sea wall plan if anyone can help, please?

Kevin

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I remember that layout, as I was dabbling in 'N' around the age of 11 and it looked fascinating.  Another one about that time was 'The Little Long Drag' unless I am very much mistaken.  Full length trains in the 'Big Country' must've resonated with me, hence my cultish Waverley route/ MNA obsession all these years later.... 

I really liked the idea of the Little Long Drag by David Jenkinson. I've long thought that if I had the space, I would plan something similar in 4mm. I was so dissapointed when in the 80s I found out he had never completed it and then moved into O.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Strathwood said:

Anyone know which issue I need to track down to get a copy of the layout plan, please for the sea wall concept plan layout by chance?

Thanks,

Kevin

John Allison's N gauge "Watching the trains go by", with automatic control using magnetic tape, was in the May 1971 issue.

There was a Plan of the Month by Alan Gibson (not the wheels man, another one) in February 1972, that featured his 00 loft layout.

I can't trace anything in this vein by Roy Link in the Modeller.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chris M said:

Just found John's article but an hour too late! It is indeed May 1971.

IMG_20200216_104740.jpg

I'm surprised that it's under the Junior Modeller banner.

Hardly seems appropriate for the late John Allison!

The layout certainly requires some automation and with the complex baseboard design, it seems not to be a layout for the beginner.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I'm surprised that it's under the Junior Modeller banner.

Hardly seems appropriate for the late John Allison!

The layout certainly requires some automation and with the complex baseboard design, it seems not to be a layout for the beginner.

Now that I see it, I remember the article. IIRC it was built for display at a school, hence the Junior Modeller connection. A little tenuous, but maybe they were scratching for JM content that month. 

• 1 month later...

I'm sure there  was a Roy Link plan for an N gauge layout with some colour illustrations under the same title. There were no visble points and a dumbell at the left end, front of the layout featured a canal running parallel to the railway which was on an embankment, behind the railway were low relief terraced houses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes I recall that too, it was from the 1980s and could be left as a blank canvas to suit pretty much anytime in the 20th century and almost any large town/city location, although some locations are predominantly stone or brick built buildings. But you see what I mean I am am sure.

Kevin

• 3 years later...

Amazing!

Especially when you think that nowadays, the control system tasks could be performed by a single Arduino Uno and a bank of relays.  May 1971 was 6 months before the first microprocessor (the Intel 4004 of November 1971) was released*.

Speaking of electromechanical control systems, does anyone remember the "Automatic Crispin" system used by Peter Denny around the same time?

* And it would have been too expensive and difficult for the "average enthusiast" to use...  The Uno itself was the first cheap and easy to program microcontroller system, introduced in 2010, so only 14 years ago.  It and the even more flexible 2012 Raspberry Pi SBC have been key players in the democritisation of computer controlled applications in the hobbyist environment.

Edited by Hroth
Extra

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Hroth said:

Speaking of electromechanical control systems, does anyone remember the "Automatic Crispin" system used by Peter Denny around the same time?

Paging @t-b-g.