Great western class 47s in the 90s

125_driver

Hi

Would anyone happen to have any diagrams for the group of 47s that FGW used to operate in the mid to late 90s just after privatisation. Looking for any particular services they ran or anything a bit different. 

Many thanks if anyone can remember,  personally it was all just before I joined the railway and sadly something I missed out working on (though I do get to play with 57s now!)

Thanks.

Its a bit late for your time frame but I have a copy of Class One from 2002 with the following diagrams in. There was four diagrams. 1C33  12:33 Paddington to Plymouth, 1A83 16:38 Plymouth to Paddington, 1A99 22:00 Penzance to Paddington and 1C99 Paddington to Penzance sleepers. The ECS into Paddington would be top and tailed by 47s. Although they often used one of the 08s from Old Oak if they were short of 47s and latterly 57s.

I spent some time spotting at Paddington during 1999 and from memory there was a late morning departure with two of the newly converted motorail vans at the front and an early evening arrival without vans. Cannot remember if the sleepers ran with the vans at that time. 

I never heard of purple Ronny working the beds think it was restricted to an out an back Paddington to Plymouth diagram.

Hopefully this is of some use.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember getting a 47 hauled train from Plymouth to Westbury and from Westbury to Plymouth on several occasions between 1997 and 2000. If my memory serves me correctly the service I caught normally started / terminated in Plymouth. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, RP82 said:

I never heard of purple Ronny working the beds think it was restricted to an out an back Paddington to Plymouth diagram.

The above picture shows 57601 on the beds, and judging by the lack of people, I would say that was the arrival from PZ and not the ECS.

Also see picture below with it tagged on the front ready to work the beds to PZ.

A day rake is parked up too, but I think I took this shot around 2002/3 before I got a digital camera.

oocd047.jpg.a5ce91276183f00fd0a93c9f0475bebb.jpg

Here is a day rake parked up at PZ in this early evening shot, so there must have been a diagram in the west country too. Taken earlier than the last one, all fag packet livery.

43033_122_47813.jpg.f5a8df9884f737919d2e7cee21aaabc8.jpg

I thought I had a shot of a day rake at Didcot heading for Padd early evening, but can't find that one.....

HTH

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the replies  , does anyone have any recollections of any day time stuff the 47s worked out of Paddington in the mid 90s period, specifically just before privatisation whilst still intercity, in the years 93, 94, 95 ,96.

If anyone even has one example service they used to run that'd be brilliant. Also did they run at all into south Wales or on the Cotswold in that 1993-1996 period?

Thanks again for the responses so far...  

Edited by 125_driver
Spelling

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2020 at 20:36, Davexoc said:

The above picture shows 57601 on the beds, and judging by the lack of people, I would say that was the arrival from PZ and not the ECS.

Also see picture below with it tagged on the front ready to work the beds to PZ.

A day rake is parked up too, but I think I took this shot around 2002/3 before I got a digital camera.

oocd047.jpg.a5ce91276183f00fd0a93c9f0475bebb.jpg

Here is a day rake parked up at PZ in this early evening shot, so there must have been a diagram in the west country too. Taken earlier than the last one, all fag packet livery.

What an odd formation of the day stock. It goes second, first, second, first, second. I wonder why. 

On 22/02/2020 at 13:03, 125_driver said:

Many thanks for all the replies  , does anyone have any recollections of any day time stuff the 47s worked out of Paddington in the mid 90s period, specifically just before privatisation whilst still intercity, in the years 93, 94, 95 ,96.

If anyone even has one example service they used to run that'd be brilliant. Also did they run at all into south Wales or on the Cotswold in that 1993-1996 period?

Thanks again for the responses so far...  

simply type “ Paddington - Manchester 1995 “ in Flickr and you will be rewarded.Also works for “ Paddington - Liverpool lime street “.

these were the only daytime loco hauled services immediately prior ( and on into 96) I can find .

i think only cotswold was diversions.

south wales did have a loco hauled service to Paddington about 92/3.

i hinksey things changed a lot between 93 and 96

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone shed any light on the South Wales to Paddington working mentioned in the above post in the early 90s? 

Also, would any of the fishguard to padd services have been 47 hauled in the early 90s? 

Been researching loco history and strangely the great western allocated 47s appear to be allocated to Bristol SPM during 1995. Would this have been a paper exercise or would they likely have had workings to and from old oak common etc for sleeper work?