A couple of 7mm questions?

Guest WM183

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Which type of chairs would be right for LMS / BR in Yorkshire someplace?

Hi,

After the grouping in 1923, all the companies except the GWR used the same chair designs, known as "REA Standard Railway Equipment". You want what C&L call "3-bolt" with "4-bolt" slide chairs. In fact they are not bolts, they are screws.

Those gauges are for 32mm track gauge with 1.75mm flangeways, which is the common 0-F, GOG-F standard, and matches Peco.

Many 0 gauge track-builders now prefer 0-MF for better running (31.5mm gauge, 1.5mm flangeways, same wheels as 0-F). As just posted above.

cheers,

Martin.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Ohhh! Thank you! Can I get roller gauges in 31.5? They've been a bit easier for me to use in the past?

Precision-turned 0-MF roller gauges are/were available from member Debs here on RMweb:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57565-31-mm-312mm-or-315mm-that-is-the-question/&do=findComment&comment=1369153

I don't know the current position, try a PM.

cheers,

Martin.

I bought a C&L turnout kit when I was starting out.  It included planed blades and a complete crossing.  There was rail and chairs of course.  It also included roller gauges which were probably 32mm.  There was a template too.  It was pretty expensive but gave me a feel for what I wanted to do.

Since C&L changed hands I haven't bought anything because of my concerns over mail order service overseas (early on I tried to order but was ignored).   I have managed very well with Peco components as I mentioned above.

The template has been extremely useful in showing where the various chairs, such as bridge, go.  These can be represented by cutting up running and slide chairs.  I am aware that Exactoscale do the right ones.

From my perspective, there is very little to choose between C&L and Peco flextrack, except the length, one is a yard, the other a meter.

My only real beef with Peco turnouts is the rebate in the stock rail for the blade.  This is a cheat.  I have removed the box over the tiebar and replaced that with JLTRT etched tiebars (available from MM1 models, the reincarnation of JLTRT).

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, brossard said:

I bought a C&L turnout kit when I was starting out.  It included planed blades and a complete crossing.  There was rail and chairs of course.  It also included roller gauges which were probably 32mm.  There was a template too.  It was pretty expensive but gave me a feel for what I wanted to do.

Since C&L changed hands I haven't bought anything because of my concerns over mail order service overseas (early on I tried to order but was ignored).   I have managed very well with Peco components as I mentioned above.

The template has been extremely useful in showing where the various chairs, such as bridge, go.  These can be represented by cutting up running and slide chairs.  I am aware that Exactoscale do the right ones.

From my perspective, there is very little to choose between C&L and Peco flextrack, except the length, one is a yard, the other a meter.

My only real beef with Peco turnouts is the rebate in the stock rail for the blade.  This is a cheat.  I have removed the box over the tiebar and replaced that with JLTRT etched tiebars (available from MM1 models, the reincarnation of JLTRT).

John

Can peco chairs and ties be ordered, similar to those from C&L?

• RMweb Gold

I'd concur with John's (brossard) comment about how many you use.  Don't bother buying a couple of packets unless you have a really small track plan.

I bought a complete card's worth.

Being mean, I don't subscribe to the practice of buying in laser cut sleepers, as (I have mentioned before) cutting them out on a Proxxon table saw from 3mm thick ply is not an arduous task.

If you were laying your own track as well as the pointwork, you could drop to 1.5mm thick sleepers.  I only cut to 3 mm to match the height of the Peco rtr track panels.  

It saves ballast!:D

• Like 1

I haven't built my own plain track, Peco is fine for that.  Intentio timbers come in 300mm lengths and the pack I got had a lot of pieces.  The site says 50 but it looks like more than that in my pack.  3mm thickness matches Peco.

Take care when ordering.  Sleepers are 10" wide, timbers are 12" wide.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 3

Be aware that the kits you quote do not include any rail or templates they are chairs and timbers only. Also buying a ready-made turnout can work out cheaper than buying the full C&L kit.  Full kit only really to be considered if you just want more than one turnout, after all you only need one set of gauges.

For chairs and rail, given your location you may be best having a look at the new Permaway range available through Phoenix Precision Paints. Probably easier ordering.

First stop anyway should be Templot.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Be aware that the kits you quote do not include any rail or templates they are chairs and timbers only. Also buying a ready-made turnout can work out cheaper than buying the full C&L kit.  Full kit only really to be considered if you just want more than one turnout, after all you only need one set of gauges.

For chairs and rail, given your location you may be best having a look at the new Permaway range available through Phoenix Precision Paints. Probably easier ordering.

First stop anyway should be Templot.

Hi Stephen,

I am ok with them just being timbers and chairs; I can get rail and build my own crossings and point blades. Their complete kits are insanely expensive! I'd just use Peco points before I'd pay that much, as I simply couldn't afford 80 pounds a turnout. If i can get the price nearer 25 or 30 per turnout, I'll be quite happy. 

I will look at the Permaway bits too, I did not know about them.

Templot is a program to make track templates to build on?

1 hour ago, WM183 said:

Hi Stephen,

I am ok with them just being timbers and chairs; I can get rail and build my own crossings and point blades. Their complete kits are insanely expensive! I'd just use Peco points before I'd pay that much, as I simply couldn't afford 80 pounds a turnout. If i can get the price nearer 25 or 30 per turnout, I'll be quite happy. 

I will look at the Permaway bits too, I did not know about them.

Templot is a program to make track templates to build on?

If you make your crossings and blades yourself, the cost per turnout is pretty tiny compared to retail. 

The Permaway chairs look good.  Not sure if 2 bridge chairs per fret is enough though.  I have a good stock of Peco chairs right now.

Templot is free to download:

http://www.templot.com/

Hope I'm not stealing Martin's thunder.

I mostly just use Peco templates.  Currently building two medium wyes.

John

If you've successfully made turnouts previously then you shouldn't fine it any harder in 7mm.

Reference the use of Peco components, at the time of construction sadly I wasn't able to obtain any components from C & L ( that's another tale and not for here ) so resorted to cutting my own timbers too.

Below photograph shows a three way and double slip which I made for roughly £ 30 and all materials sourced locally, therefore if you wish to save on costs I feel it speaks for itself, built off Templot plans which are excellent in my opinion for this type of construction.

IMG_4711.jpg.2cfa1b93dad4f416f3a18e2eaf704743.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Reading this thread has spurred me on to have a go at a long thought of project to re-cycle OO code 100 points as 7mm industrial trackwork.  I'd previoisly threaded some code 100 rail onto a couple of Peco 7mm sleepers.....

IMG_2302.jpg.85bb165b7dfb6663cf5b4d02fe76071b.jpg

I cut a medium turnout crossing assembly away from the body of the turnout, the splitting the switch section down the middle.  Shown here with assembly started.  Once laid I will remove every other chair and bury the track in ballast and the muck that was quite common in industrial layouts...

IMG_2299.JPG.61781219acfebe13094df9f976821e8a.JPG

• Like 3

Since my octogenarian Father recently commenced building a small 'shelf' layout in O gauge, I have undertaken various lots of research (- mostly, but not exclusively, via the interweb -) on the availability of RTR models, kits and associated components (- I aspire to 4mm scale modelling -), and would agree with what has already been said on the possibilities of starting in 7mm scale now. There can't have ever been a better time to start in O gauge - frankly, the choice of rolling stock is almost bewildering !

With the likes of the imminent Dapol RTR sentinel, a small 'shunting' type of layout is really quite tempting !

And is surely true that the mass of O gauge (compared to smaller scales) really does impart a more satisfying 'feel' to wagons and such.

Also, for those with less nimble digits, 7mm components are almost twice as easy to handle as 4mm !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/02/2020 at 08:18, Simond said:

Buy a wagon kit, Slaters, Parkside or Peco, build it, if you're captivated (I warn you, you will be) then keep it and start in 7mm, if you don't, you'll get your money back flogging it second hand

good luck!

Simon

That is how I got sucked in by the darkside.  In my case it was a Parkside wagon.  In all seriousness, though, I'm not sure that any one scale/gauge is better than the others, just different.  I can say, though, that building that O gauge wagon was most enjoyable and I've been slowly gathering what I need to start that first layout.  Simon is exactly right, try a wagon kit and a length of PECO track.  If nothing else you will have a nice model to place on the mantel.

Dave

Edited by davefromacrossthepond
Spelling error
  • Agree 1

I have built an LNER van so far, and am currently painting my 2nd wagon, a Southern open. I hope to get a JInty shortly, if some HO brass I have up for sale sells, that is, and the next step will be a point or two so I can build a shunting plank. The 7mm bug does bite quite hard!