Java Model Railroad Interface to replace my Dynamis

GlosGreaves

I currently have a Dynamis that I use with the railcontroller software, and have the point motors all set up using Lens 150 decoders which is working ok. But as my knowledge slowly increases I am finding the Dynamis quite limited in functionality particularly around chip programming and general running functionality.

I was shown the JMRI freeware today and was very impressed with it (particularly the dcc chip programming application) and wondering about the possibility of moving away from the Dynamis to the JMRI. The Bachmann Dynamis does not seem to be compatible unfortunately.

I run N gauge and my layout is currently around 5ft 6 x 3ft and I run a max of 4 trains concurrently.

Would I be able to simply unplug the Dynamis and replace it with a SPROG 3 attached to the laptop and then configure both the Decoder Pro and Panel Pro software (and then just switch the output between my layout and programming track? 

Any advice welcome!

Many thanks

Darren

In principle yes. 

Before you jump, a few things:

1 - hardware.  JMRI supports a lot of DCC hardware, so Sprog is one of your options.   As are dozens, if not hundreds of other systems (unfortunately, a lack of documentation from Bachmann about how the Dynamis interface works, and probably a lack of interest in the JMRI development community means that the Dynamis is one of the few systems which isn't supported).  
The Sprog, as you no doubt know, is a computer device with no external physical throttles.  If that suits your needs, fine, but many people find a physical throttle useful.  You do have the option of using a phone as a throttle onto the Sprog hardware. 

2 - Sprog size - I'd suggest a Sprog2 is more than adequate for the size of N layout you have.  The only difference to Sprog 3 is "more current", which requires a bigger power supply, and slightly more robust wiring.  

If you do go for the Sprog plus JMRI, then:

Find out about "profiles" within JMRI.  I'd suggest you will want two profiles, one which might be labelled as "run my layout", and another which might be labelled as "program my locos".   In the process of creating the profiles, you might want to make them use the same file storage for items, such as the roster (the saved decoder list) so that you can share things automatically between programming and running.     Within each profile, you can then setup the Sprog for each of its operating modes:  Command Station (to run the layout) and Sprog (for programming track tasks).  

Computer.  If you're using a Windows computer, you may need to faff with the power management settings to stop Windows putting things into "low power" mode (ie. turning them off) to save power.   In particular you don't want the USB to the Sprog to be "low power" or "turned off" whilst running JMRI, otherwise you just loose control of the Sprog and have to quit everything and startup again.  

- Nigel

Darren, I moved away from Hornby Railmaster/eLink over a year ago to JMRI/SPROG for the same reasons as you and have never looked back. The level of functionality is orders of magnitude greater with JMRI but, as Grriff states, it is not always easy to find information on the "help" pages. Also, be prepared for a very American-centric feel to the package, but there is an excellent suite of British signalling symbols and icons. It took me several weeks of trial and error to get the system I wanted but it was more than worth the effort. Good luck, you will not regret the change.