Russell Maiden's photo collection...

On 13/02/2020 at 20:11, Rugd1022 said:

Two nice detail shots at Truro on 25th June 1967 followed by some at Bodmin Road and Bodmin General taken on 1st October 1966... in the DMU at Bodmin Road shot, the chances are that the train in the up main platform had a Warship or Western up front, presumably Russell was changing trains here, either going on or coming off the branch to General...

RM TRURO RM 250667a.jpg

RM TRURO RM 250667b.jpg

RMD BODMIN ROAD 011066a.jpg

RMD BODMIN ROAD 011066b.jpg

RMD BODMIN ROAD 011066c.jpg

RMD BODMIN ROAD 011066.jpg

RMD BODMIN GENERAL 011066b.jpg

RMD BODMIN GENERAL 011066a.jpg

RMD BODMIN GENERAL 011066.jpg

I only once passed through Bodmin General - it was at about 1.00 in the morning, or at least it seemed that late, when the sleeper I was taking from Penzance to London to meet up with a school party during my summer holidays ( I was all of 14) stopped en route to Paddington.

I had no idea why, but there was a lot of banging and crashing about going on outside, so I opened the curtains (it could have been a board of some sort) and looked out to see. Unfortunately the activity was all happening further down the train - probably loading mail or parcels, and after ten minutes of seeing nothing than that 'Bodmin General' sign, I went back to bed, only to be woken a few moments later by the lusty roar of a pair of Maybachs, as the Western at the head of the train got us under way once more.

IF only I'd thought of using some of my precious 16 pictures in my camera to photograph the mighty machine, but at 14, who of us knew what lay ahead for the magnificent engines?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I sincerely hope that the sleeper hadn't got to Bodmin General beacuse there would really have been an awful lot of far more than banging and crashing!

I think you are confusing Bodmin General with Bodmin Road (known nowadays as Bodmin Parkway).  Bodmin Road/Parkway is on the main line from Penzance to Plymouth, Bodmin General was the terminus of the GWR branchline from Bodmin Road.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I sincerely hope that the sleeper hadn't got to Bodmin General beacuse there would really have been an awful lot of far more than banging and crashing!

I think you are confusing Bodmin General with Bodmin Road (known nowadays as Bodmin Parkway).  Bodmin Road/Parkway is on the main line from Penzance to Plymouth, Bodmin General was the terminus of the GWR branchline from Bodmin Road.

You could well be right - I was only 14 and it was a long way past my bedtime!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Great pictures; a refreshing change from endless loco threequarters views.

I've never seen a picture of a railbus at Bodmin General; I wonder if it was in passenger service or on its way to receive some maintenance somewhere.

I was interested in the sign at Bodmin Road saying "Over the bridge for Down trains". Was the public expected to be familiar with the concept of Up and Down?

I also never realised that the Seaton branch closed on the same day as the Somerset & Dorset.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2020 at 20:11, Rugd1022 said:

Two nice detail shots at Truro on 25th June 1967 followed by some at Bodmin Road and Bodmin General taken on 1st October 1966... in the DMU at Bodmin Road shot, the chances are that the train in the up main platform had a Warship or Western up front, presumably Russell was changing trains here, either going on or coming off the branch to General...

RMD BODMIN GENERAL 011066.jpg

Judging from the destinations, I would guess the bottom one is at Wadebridge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Rugd1022 said: ".... the little old lady in the hat with the granny glasses at Launceston is delightful...!".

Wonder if she's on her way to/from St. Mary Mead? Had some dastardly deed occured in Launceston?....;)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2