Alton Model Centre

2027Joe

• RMweb Gold

Hi All

Today I visited the Alton Model Centre to collect an N Gauge GWR HST Set that I had been looking for over a period of time.

Many other shops had long since sold out of these, including Dapol.

I contacted Alton Model Centre by phone and not only did he have one of these sets, he kept it aside until I could get there a week later.

Today, in attrocious weather, i arrived as the proverbial drowned rat at the shop !

I also took in with me a Bachmann MLV, that I had purchased 2nd hand, that I wanted to have a 21 pin decoder fitted.

The welcome and the service that I received was brilliant.

The GWR set was shown to me working. The decoder was then fitted and shown to me working and the MLV was found to already have a 21 pin decoder fitted! (Much to my surprise !!) But again time was taken to show me everything in working order, and no charge made for his time, etc.

I cannot praise them enough. An excellent paradise of a shop, that I would heartily recommend to anyone who finds themselves in the Alton area. (It is around the corner from Alton railway station, and the Watercress Line. The Flying Scotsman is in residence for the next couple of weeks.)

Here is their web address, https://www.altonmodelcentre.co.uk/

Well worth the long drive in the attrocious weather to get there.

Joe

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I used to commute from Alton to Waterloo for 3 years, on & off. On the odd days that I finished early, a visit to the model shop there was well worth it. The Mid Hants is right next door, and if you're making a weekend of it, try the Alton House Hotel, which is 50 yards along the road. 

No connection to either shop or hotel, but a very satisfied customer over that time.

Ian.

On 14/02/2020 at 11:01, Georgeconna said:

Certainly a Fine shop despite the lack of ability to order on line it seems to survive and thrive!

Very busy this morning - need to make another trip next week as I forgot to take my list...!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Called in at Alton Model Centre on Saturday and managed to come away with nearly all the bits I was after. 

It’s a really well-stocked (and deceptively large) shop with a great selection of 00 and N gauge rolling stock, nicely presented. I think they also had some harder to find locos and coaches that are sold out in some of the ‘box shifters’. 

I found a good selection of tools, paints and parts for scratchbuilding. 

The chap behind the counter was very helpful with my random questions about soldering too. 

I’d recommend a visit if you’re ever in Hampshire. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 years later...

I wish to add my thanks to the Alton Model Centre.

They were very helpful in trying to sort out an issue with a Zimo decoder. The added bonus was a ride on the Mid Hants Railway whilst they were working on the decoder.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2