The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Railway Modelling Crimes

Phil Bullock

"I swapped it for some of the junk I'm never going to use" is another useful phrase for your arsenal. This works for a whole raft of hobbies and you generally find that SWMBO doesn't actually care that much unless you start asking awkward questions about the contents of her wardrobe. In return, you must be prepared to believe dismissive statements such as: "My friend / mother gave me those boots, she never wore them" or "It's a vintage dress I got from a charity shop".

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HonestTom said:

Does not numbering your wagons count as a crime? Nobody's spotted that my wagons have indistinct white blobs where they should have weight, numbers etc.

At least no one can point out that its a wrong number.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Is it possibly a worse crime that some of my wagons have the same number?

But consider this. If every aspect of our layouts and stock were perfect, what would we do then? We would have to fill our time with 'normal' hobbies like watching tv or football (or combining the two by standing outside Dixons on a Saturday afternoon and shouting at the televisions) or worse still, taking up golf... I have been assured by SWMBO that if I do, she will be cashing in my life insurance a good deal sooner than I think.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So as I mentioned to @roythebus an explanation is required of the history of the warship motor bogie in 

as heinous crimes abound....

25 years ago my Ex worked night shifts at weekends which meant I entertained the two lads on Sundays. My good friend of 50 plus years Brian Thomas from Worcester usually came down on the Sunday afternoon and we turned out to see 37403 Glen Cruchan on the afternoon Cardiff - Brum if the sun was shining - or if not we disappeared in to the garage to operate the railway - DC of course, 14 x 10 with a double track continuous circuit, high level terminus and carriage sidings, marshalling yard and MPD at the junction and low level storage loops. Plenty of scope for prototypical operations....

But no. The sessions degenerated in to parallel races on the double track main line.  The Thomases always brought their fastest loco along which was undefeated - a Hornby Nellie! it absolutely flew - and something had to be done to wrest the speed crown from this upstart. But what? Various options were considered until we alighted on an old Mainline Warship. But how to uprate its speed capabilities? Lightness for sure - so the internal weight was removed, but not fast enough. So time to look at the gearing. By displacing the final gear on the axles and altering the order of gears in the bogie gear train the gearing output speed could be significantly uprated - inevitably at the cost of haulage capacity. But as long as the Warship - Highflyer most appropriately! - stayed on the track its top speed was untouchable. 

So crimes? Excess speed.... racing on parallel tracks - and running a freelance Nellie on a 60s themed layout. But great fun! One final confession however - many years later after the chassis ended up in the spares box look what happened to the bodies....

The motor is now winging its way to Roy to buy me redemption.....!

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Is that a Met / Brill tramway engine on a Triang well wagon (can't remember what it was supposed to be but it's too short, still got one somewhere!)

It looks like the static diecast I-O-M loco made by Oxford.

An even greater crime than that.

A repainted Oxford Diecast Isle of Man 2-4-0 on a surgically altered Triang Trestrol with a number of parts added from a broken Oxford Rail rail gun. Just waiting for some fine chain to complete the mod.

A never-was GWR heavy Crocodile returning to mid-Wales a narrow gauge engine after heavy repair at Caerphilly works.

Yeah, really.....

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the GW's narrow gauge locos (Vale of Rheidol, Welshpool and Llanfair) were overhauled at Oswestry, though of course the 'new' V of R loco was built at Swindon under the pretext of a heavy overhaul.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I think the GW's narrow gauge locos (Vale of Rheidol, Welshpool and Llanfair) were overhauled at Oswestry, though of course the 'new' V of R loco was built at Swindon under the pretext of a heavy overhaul.

Swindon in later life 

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/2-6-2t/hA0F7C0B2

Hence I shant be committing any crime having one on a well wagon heading north through Abbotswood.....

• Like 3

On 29/03/2020 at 13:09, Prometheus said:

As a crime this will take some beating [so will I if I try to justify it at the club....].

49711076638_d55bb99051_c.jpg

You can work out the components for yourselves.

Tony

Nationalization as it should have been done, with the GWR taking over all the other railways in the kingdom (including the IOM)?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 10/03/2020 at 00:14, MrWolf said:

"I swapped it for some of the junk I'm never going to use" is another useful phrase for your arsenal. This works for a whole raft of hobbies and you generally find that SWMBO doesn't actually care that much unless you start asking awkward questions about the contents of her wardrobe. In return, you must be prepared to believe dismissive statements such as: "My friend / mother gave me those boots, she never wore them" or "It's a vintage dress I got from a charity shop".

"I saved XXX pounds on this" is a similarly dismissive statement (and frequently used in this household). I've learnt to make approving noises. I didn't get where I am today by asking  "But how much did you actually pay?"

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

"I saved XXX pounds on this" is a similarly dismissive statement (and frequently used in this household). I've learnt to make approving noises. I didn't get where I am today by asking  "But how much did you actually pay?"

And of course (surprised that nobody's mentioned it) - you can always lie.

Stu

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I guess I am lucky in that my SWMBO comes from country manor stock and talking about money is considered vulgar ^_^ But to be fair to her, she is very careful with money and is more impressed if you find her some gem that isn't worth a lot but means something to her. She also has a pretty good idea how much I spend on motorcycles and trains because she's usually with me when I am buying.

• Like 5