LMS brake vans-Model accuracy

Having a sort out I`m looking for information on the accuracy or otherwise of some LMS brake Vans.  Dublo and Wrenn ones are very close in length to Hornby R718 which I think dates from the 1980s ?  All three are shorter than the Airfix one which seems to match online prototype drawings ?

Has anyone any further info on the Dublo/Wrenn ones or the old Hornby one ?

Thanks.

The Dublo/Wrenn* and Hornby models are all too short (around 20' scale) and collectables only IMHO. I believe the Airfix one is reasonably accurate, but I have never measured one up against a drawing.

* The Wrenn model is the same as the Dublo, apart from livery and modifications to the underframe.

• Agree 1

Hi

If anyone has information I would be interested also. I'm keen to start work on some scratch builds/rtrbashing but still at a loss for sourcing some reliable accurate works diagrams. I have R.J.Essery's official drawings of LMS Wagons No2, but I was dissapointed to find so few wagons represented, also the choice of wagons....crossing my fingers on getting my smutty mitts on his part one book which is now out of print but ya never know!

So in the part two book is two brakes, the 20t D1659 that gives an overall length buffer to buffer of 20' 5"  allthough it is very hard (for me) to read the drawings due to the poor prints.

• Like 1

Essery, R, J, & Morgan, K. R. (1977) The LMS Wagons. David & Charles, Newton Abbot, Devon. ISBN 0 7153 7357 9. 128 pages

D1890 4mm drawing (not diagram) p26

D1659 4mm drawing (not diagram) p23  and also repeated in

Bartlett, Paul W., Morgan, Ken & Whitehead, Arthur (1994) LMS/LMR Brake vans. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 3 (part 6) pp 308 - 315.

Paul

• Like 1

The correct length over headstocks is 24' (96mm in model terms) and the correct wheelbase is 16' (64mm).

pictures of the Hornby version show it with a number (730386) in the correct range for an unpiped D1919, the LMS liveried version of the Wrenn wagon number (730973) is correct for D2036 - the principal difference between the two diagrams is the extra width of the duckets on the latter.

Essery's LMS wagons Vol 1 has a photo of 730386 indicating the correct bauxite livery - small LMS lettering above the running number rather than the large lettering on the Hornby model. Hornby's more recent version R6768 has the correct livery. The Wrenn wagon suffers from large letter syndrome too.

Edited by sharris
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Essery, R, J, & Morgan, K. R. (1977) The LMS Wagons. David & Charles, Newton Abbot, Devon. ISBN 0 7153 7357 9. 128 pages

D1890 4mm drawing (not diagram) p26

D1659 4mm drawing (not diagram) p23  and also repeated in

Bartlett, Paul W., Morgan, Ken & Whitehead, Arthur (1994) LMS/LMR Brake vans. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 3 (part 6) pp 308 - 315.

Paul

D1890 is an earlier version of the longer brake van with the half-height panels on the ends of the van sides rather than towards the guard's compartment.

D1659 is a plain sided (no duckets, no half-panels), 20' over headstocks ex-MR design - a kit is available from Parkside.

Edited by sharris
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, sharris said:

D1890 is an earlier version of the longer brake van with the half-height panels on the ends of the van sides rather than towards the guard's compartment.

D1659 is a plain sided (no duckets, no half-panels), 20' over headstocks ex-MR design - a kit is available from Parkside.

D1890 is commonly referred to as a 'Reverse Stanier' brake van. 

Chivers used to make a nice etched kit.

Edited by kevinlms
Missing word
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, sharris said:

also done RTR from Bachmann a few years ago, including the variety of the MR design (I forget the diagram number without looking it up) with duckets