"Niche Hobby"?

Its been a niche hobby Since half the nation decided pitting their wits against a fish with an IQ of about 2 was a hobby and most of the rest's Hobby is watching half naked men chasing a ball around a field.   Personally I thought the ad was a welcome boost for the Hobby,  At least they must think its aspirational.   Or was it dirt cheap to stage.   Perhaps they do a different one with blokes with champion marrows, ferrets and racing pigeons in other regions. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I probably "garden" more than I build model railways - and within the gardening world is a group of people (mostly very pleasant ones) who grow giant veg & and show plates of perfect pea pods and onions at shows - it makes "trainspotting" look the coolest hobby in the world!

37 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

................Hobby is watching 22 so-called grown-ups kicking a bag of wind around a rough old field.

There, I've corrected it for you!

Syewart

I thought they were over-paid prima donnas who have sit down to have a rest after 45 minutes.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

................Hobby is watching 22 so-called grown-ups kicking a bag of wind around a rough old field.

Syewart

................Hobby is watching 22 so-called grown-ups millionairs kicking a bag of wind around a rough old field.

;) :jester:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

At least they must think its aspirational.   Or was it dirt cheap to stage.

Its a long time since an advert containing a Hornby "Flying Scotsman" trainset has appeared on national television, apart from thngs connected with the model railway challenge...

It can only be positive!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

................Hobby is watching 22 so-called grown-ups kicking a bag of wind around a rough old field.  a species of bird.

Syewart

Funnily enough that birds Latin name is Subbuteo. Later used for a game involving 22 OO scale plastic figures kicking a ball around a piece of cloth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_hobby

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funnily enough that birds Latin name is Subbuteo. Later used for a game involving 22 OO scale plastic figures kicking a ball around a piece of cloth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_hobby

I seem to recall that this was mentioned in one episode of a TV antiques show (probably "Flog It!").

Apparently, a game manufacturer had this soccer based game - which they wanted to market as "The Hobby".

When they tried to register this name as a trademark, they were told in no uncertain terms that this would not be allowed - presumably because playing games could legitimately be described as a hobby.

Without rules to block the trademarking of common names / descriptions for things / businesses, this could potentially cause problems for anyone else just trying to talk about something similar.

OK - they knew that Falco subbuteo is another name for the Hobby - somehow, I suspect that the trademark examiner they were dealing with might also have known (or had their suspicions) - but using this name for their game wouldn't impinge on anyone using the word "hobby" in the usual way.

In other words, I doubt if anyone would have had any problems with this product name.

Huw.

I prefer niche.  I've always liked niche.  My musical tastes were always niche.  I liked British Light Music long before Classic FM popularised it whilst Radio 3's music snobs despised it.  I was a fan of the Eurovision Song Contest all through the dark days of Wogan and am now most upset that it's become cool and trendy.  No, ****** off, I prefer it when everyone hated it.  So being a rail, bus and railway model enthusiast is fine, especially as I am ultra-niche and like AC Electrics, the models that don't sell, and detest pretty green kettles, especially if they are from south of the Thames or west of London, which funnily enough seem to be always in the bargain bin, unlike trains with coathangers.  I like steam, but it has to be black or red.

Niche is fine by me.  But not Flying Jockstrap.

• Like 1