DC Lines GEC units in dark green with lining

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

I don't recall seeing any Oerlikon units on the DC lines in anything other than unlined (lighter) green, either for real or in pics.  There can't have been many so treated.  Does anyone know how many were done?

LMS EMU leaving Wembley Central

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

That's something of a hybrid set, in that the two trailers don't match the motor coach. The clue lies in the body profile - the motor coach is almost straight sided, whereas the two trailers have a more full-bodied profile.

Jim

2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I don't recall seeing any Oerlikon units on the DC lines in anything other than unlined (lighter) green, either for real or in pics.  There can't have been many so treated.  Does anyone know how many were done?

LMS EMU leaving Wembley Central

Hi Metroland and Jim

The units are 1927 GEC or Compartment Stock. I have no idea how many received the darker green livery and yellow lining, it was very few. I have a couple of photos of some which I purchased from the RCTS  stand at an exhibition some time ago, in the dark green with yellow lining, sadly they were photographed at an angle where the numbers are not clear. One is from the 1932 batch by the arrangement of the cab doors on the control trailer.

According to Atkinson, Adams and Clarke in their History of the North London Railway, vol 1 London's North Western Electrics the GEC stock was not kept in strict formations so swapping of coaches was common.

I don't want to be in breach of forum copyright rules by posting the photos on here.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Metr0Land changed the title to DC Lines GEC units in dark green with lining

I wonder if they were done on overhaul around the same time that the 1957 units began to be lined. If I recall correctly, the GEC units were withdrawn without replacement in 1963 and, as yellow panels only appeared around 1962, the time window for the opening photo cannot have been very long.

Here is one in the earlier plain green: 

49535257438_325a600956_z.jpgLMS_EMU_Euston by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I wonder if they were done on overhaul around the same time that the 1957 units began to be lined. If I recall correctly, the GEC units were withdrawn without replacement in 1963 and, as yellow panels only appeared around 1962, the time window for the opening photo cannot have been very long.

Here is one in the earlier plain green: 

49535257438_325a600956_z.jpgLMS_EMU_Euston by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Hi Robert

I agree the dark green with lining must have been done about the same time as the BR stock. I have a few photos, plus some in books of units in plain green with yellow panels. I still haven't come across a Motor Car with lining.

In my collection I could only find one photo of a control trailer. It has less door vents than the one Metr0land's photo and the top yellow line is above the door vents. So at least three coaches were repainted.

• 1 month later...