Bendy Bus

grahame

Tomytec are producing a 1:150 scale Merc Citaro bendy bus that is right hand drive. It is motorised and works on their road system. There is also a non-bendy/2 axle Citaro but that seems to be left hand drive only.

69894695_bendy3.jpg.dc4dd82117bacbd90716791f0aaf3938.jpg

791580945_bendy2.jpg.16e7f79747c8c1d49c61135a6ffe33c4.jpg

Just a shame that they are too modern for me but with all the electrical gubbins in them I wonder if they catch-fire as regularly and easily as the real ones.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They produce several bus types, other bodies could be fitted on the chassis.

Tomytec actually produce a range of motorised chassis (different wheelbases and an adjustable one) as well as other buses, but I doubt they do any other bodies that'd fit the bendy chassis.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

But Farish and Oxford Diecast bodies can be fitted to the Tomytec 4 wheel chassis.

The Farish ones (smaller than 1:160) tend to be a little too small and the earlier cast metal ODC ones a little too heavy, but the more recent plastic bodied ones can be made to fit. The Cars Workshop buses (1:150) are also suitable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, grahame said:

Tomytec actually produce a range of motorised chassis (different wheelbases and an adjustable one) as well as other buses, but I doubt they do any other bodies that'd fit the bendy chassis.

The motorised chassis in the 1/150 Mercedes Citaro Bendi is the same as used in the 1/160 Citaro rigid. The rear section is plugged in to the back of the chassis and can be detached easily. The attachment also carries the fibre optic light feed for the rear lights. I would like to see Tomytec add the rigid Citaro to the Japanese range in 1/150 but I guess it would depend on how many operators use them in Japan. I bought the red and orange bendi sets when they were first released about 3 years ago. The latest release of the Seiryu Liner version arrived with me this week and looks like this.

ce7e9c10.jpg

Ideal for a 2000s to 2011 London layout with a bit of redecoration. The chassis is identical to the one I use to motorise by Oxford Diecast New Routemasters using a 3D printed snap-in interface.

This YouTube video is from January 2017.

As a London aside, I have also included a photo of the Lemke MiNis Setra double deck coach in 1/160 scale and in SNCF Ouibus livery. This bus is registered DV173BF and was used on the Paris-London-Paris service in 2016. There is a Flickr picture of it at the corner of Grosvenor Gardens. This bus would be contemporary with rigid Citaros for a London layout, although way too late to have overlapped with the Citaro Bendis. Of course it is 7.5% undersized for a British layout.

93a30d10.jpg

26874850415_f51aa8d906_b.jpg?fbclid=IwAR

Edited by Mike Harvey
Added video
  • Like 3