Mystery Loco

As said it is a Lima Deltic.

It is 10mm shorter than it should be and unfortunately that difference is spread across the whole bodyshell.  A1 models used to be sell a brass etch which gave you replacement sides, roof and grilles. These were stuck onto the sliced up body. 
In addition the bogies are wrong (swap them for class 37s for a late Deltic) and the bonnet is profiled incorrectly.

The whole procedure is well documented in Nigel Burkin’s excellent “From Deltics to Class 67s” book, chapter 3.

It’s a lot of work if you want a more accurate Deltic.

Given the arrival of the Accurascale Deltic I expect that a number of the better Bachmann Deltics will come onto auction sites at good prices.  The Bachmann model is also not totally correct but it is a big improvement over the Lima effort In terms of appearance and pulling power.

Plus you can and keep the untouched Lima Deltic as a souvenir of what early diesel models used to look like.

//Simon

This is the early LIMA Deltic.  This was originally planned and developed to be part of their HO (1:87) scale range.  When the decision to change to 00 (4mm to 1'), the chassis had already been tooled up.  The body was essentially shortened to fit onto existing chassis.

A genuine 00/H0 hybrid - 4mm body on a scale HO chassis.

Does anyone know if it is possible to cut down this down to HO scale

The good old Lima Deltic-I bought an exact model of this loco, the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, second-hand when I was about 10.  I really wanted a class 37, but when I got to the till I spotted the 37 was damaged, and the shopkeeper said the Deltic looked enough like a 37 that it wouldn't matter :)

5 hours ago, crackedmember said:

...A genuine 00/H0 hybrid - 4mm body on a scale HO chassis.

Does anyone know if it is possible to cut down this down to HO scale

It is very hybrid. The most HO element is the bogie, which as I recall it has wheelbase and wheel diameter scale for 1/87. Elsewhere it is 'variscale', the overall length of the body notably incorrect for both OO and HO; I have heard it suggested that this may have been the greatest length that could be made on the injection moulding machinery Lima then had available for their low cost product.