Stop start Heljan 58

unsoundmove

Grateful for advice. I have had a Heljan OO gauge 58 for many years. It has recently developed a problem where it stops, restarts, stops etc. I have removed and cleaned wheels and contacts, changed DCC decoder, detached connectors to light circuits but all to no avail. Have also searched on here. Could it be the circuit board? Is this a known problem? Cheers...

0CD9C90F-2B9F-42C3-A1A9-429076D50738.jpeg

Heljan mechanisms are pretty uniform in general construction and the symptom is momentary loss of supply, most likely by temporary loss of continuity. If it's loss of track supply to the decoder, then the lights will go out, if it's a faulty connection in the motor circuit (includes within the motor) then the lights will stay on.

Once you know which of those two it is, best course is to chase it down with a test meter on ohms. Waggle every piece of wire and connector as you check for maintained continuity.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope you resolve your problem.

I'm a fan of Heljan locomotives and have a few.

I notice this "I have had a Heljan OO gauge 58 for many years ... "

During this time, has it been used 'quite a lot'?

It could be something as simple as worn brushes if it's been used frequently - just a thought.

Al.

On 15/02/2020 at 10:35, atom3624 said:

Hope you resolve your problem.

I'm a fan of Heljan locomotives and have a few.

I notice this "I have had a Heljan OO gauge 58 for many years ... "

During this time, has it been used 'quite a lot'?

It could be something as simple as worn brushes if it's been used frequently - just a thought.

Al.

Is it definitely loss of electrical power? The class 47s are very susceptible to the driveshaft securing cups splitting and losing grip on the motor shafts....the motors still run  but drive to the axles is lost.