Okehampton Railway re-opening

May be of interest, caught on my iPhone on 24th April 2017 just as I arrived to catch a train home from Crediton. Loco stock being moved from Okehampton.

It was an unexpected arrival so I apologies for the quality of the video as I quickly took my 'phone out to capture it happening.

G

• Like 9

BG man, cracking - do you know where the 33, 47 and 45 were heading to call home ?

I'm sitting looking over the Taw Valley towards Abbots Marsh further north up the line right now !

It's truly lovely country.

Best regards

Matt W

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, D826 said:

BG man, cracking - do you know where the 33, 47 and 45 were heading to call home ?

I'm sitting looking over the Taw Valley towards Abbots Marsh further north up the line right now !

It's truly lovely country.

Best regards

Matt W

Hi Matt,

Thank you, 

I should have looked into it but never found out where they were heading, plus my train was just about to arrive so it was a quick run across the bridge to catch it !

Enjoy the views it is quite lovely.

G

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

Was that train due to call anyway? I had the impression that there were very few trains which would actually stop at all stations. Last I knew there were only 3 or 4 opportunities a day to use Portsmouth Arms, for example.

We did stop to pick up at a couple that hadn't been mentioned at all, whereas we didn't stop at any of the ones he did flag! 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Was that train due to call anyway? I had the impression that there were very few trains which would actually stop at all stations. Last I knew there were only 3 or 4 opportunities a day to use Portsmouth Arms, for example.

All stations on the branch except Barnstaple itself are in the bottom 20% of stations in terms of usage.  There are five stations in the bottom 10% and two are in the bottom 1%.  I think the bottom two are only officially served about twice a day each way; it simply isn't worth stopping trains most of the time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

The only mild surprise there is Crediton, I'd have expected that to be reasonably well used. Though I suppose the town isn't actually all that big.

I would beg to differ on that point. It currently runs at approx. 21,000 with new housing being built some of which is very close to Crediton Station.

That said with a frequent bus service to both Exeter / Barny and a good road link it may suffer slightly. The early trains to Exeter are usually full with commuters, likewise early evening coming home. Weekends are also fairly full with shoppers / sports fans being taken directly into the City centre ( Based upon pre- Covid use ) .

I suppose the main bugbear is the fact that the station is a brisk walk from the town centre ( much like Okehampton in some respects ) however the car parking opposite the station is used by both shoppers and commuters either local or further afield.

With a large Tesco store in very close proximity the station is also used by country folk for convenient shopping too.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2021 at 21:37, Northmoor said:

Running round is very constraining on train scheduling because there is a minimum time to do a run-round; consider a special visiting multiple branches and which is likely to need 10 minutes (minimum) to run round each time, as it's an unfamiliar operation which the staff are probably not well-practised at every location.  The operator might have intended to spend 20 minutes at each terminus (for the loonies to run out to take the same three-quarter view of the loco that they took at all the other termini), so if running late, they cannot really exploit recovery time from the termini.  Topping and tailing, the operator can cut the visit short to five minutes and start to make up significant time.

Another thing to consider is the driver + Guard are usually entitled to a PNB and a period of rest before taking the train back out. Quite clearly they cannot be doing these if engaged in 'running round' -  which then means you need to employ more staff to do the actual running round procedure if you want relatively quick turn round times.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm not sure about all the crossings but trains heading towards Exeter stop short of the Crediton level crossing at the signal box, I assumed to hand the token over given the sign there saying "end of token controlled section" but i was guessing! Obviously therefore trains heading towards Barnstaple have to wait to cross onto the right hand line and collect the token so by default there is a delay over that crossing and when i was there they always opened the barriers in between.

In terms of capacity on the Barnstaple route, I did notice last week that they don't announce any of the request stops in the last section towards Barnstaple and I got the impression in both directions that they needed to get a shift on, whereas the first "half" of the route was a bit more leisurely and each stop was flagged in advance.

724530532_DSC_0191(2).JPG.dbad53abf16aadbf4b10aa6ae5a04798.JPG

Edited to be more relevant to the point made. 

As well as Crediton where traincrew have to receive or give up a token from/to the signaller I was also thinking of Salmon Pool Crossing, which is subject to a speed limit. Although there are two single lines at that point I thought that once a train had passed the crossing on one line there was a delay before a train could pass on the other line, though I am not certain of the details.

The procedure at Eggesford where the traincrew operate the barriers and also have to access the signalling tokens is also a time consuming procedure,

cheers

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

@Coombe Barton any chance of changing the title of the thread as we've gone from 'in administration' to 'reopening soon'  :)

Well seeing as the initial posts on the thread are to do with the railway falling into administration, a better title would be something like the one used to discuss the fall & rise of the class 60s.

How about "Okehampton Railway, Administration & rebirth"

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • AY Mod changed the title to Okehampton Railway re-opening

Having accurately surveyed and built scale models of Okehampton's station buildings, I have studied the history of this particular railway line fairly extensively. I very much doubt if anything will happen with regard to the second platform at Yeoford. That they have done as much as they have towards Okehampton I see very much as an exploratory move with a view to going on in the distant future to connect back up to Bere Alston, which is not going to please my friends who own Bridestowe station very much!

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Claire RJ said:

connect back up to Bere Alston, which is not going to please my friends who own Bridestowe station very much!

I suspect Bridestowe could be by-passed on a new alignment.  Unlike Lydford which is constrained very tightly by the local geography.  If we are talking re-purchase of lands then the cost of a new alignment may not be much different.  I don't expect intermediate stations to re-open meaning Bridestowe would potentially be re-purchased without much reason.  

• Agree 2

Okehampton is an end in itself, being a reasonable sized town with a useable (with a little work) station and existing railway.

Getting through Tavistock on the old alignment is going to need a lot of demolition, never mind the various other places en route, and Meldon viaduct reputedly isn't up to much, both of which make any future reconnection pretty far off.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Okehampton is an end in itself, being a reasonable sized town with a useable (with a little work) station and existing railway.

Getting through Tavistock on the old alignment is going to need a lot of demolition, never mind the various other places en route, and Meldon viaduct reputedly isn't up to much, both of which make any future reconnection pretty far off.

The business case would also be very poor. The amount of traffic between Tavistock, Okehampton and Exeter would be very low. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

In conjunction with the reopening, a new bus service has been started between Tavistock and Okehampton station via Lydford connecting with the trains.  It's run by Dartline in partnership with GWR.  It will be interesting to see how well its used.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 22/11/2021 at 11:46, Mike_Walker said:

In conjunction with the reopening, a new bus service has been started between Tavistock and Okehampton station via Lydford connecting with the trains.  It's run by Dartline in partnership with GWR.  It will be interesting to see how well its used.

When I went up to Okehampton on Monday on the 08.34 from Exeter Central there were about 15 passengers, two of them caught the 118 bus.

IMG_1101.JPG.65fcea6e2938773db0b81f67a7ec9c2d.JPG

Bus waiting outside the station front. 22/11/2021

IMG_1104.JPG.568dd143420456402dfcde7df50ae90b.JPG

Here is the bus departing from Okehampton, 22/11/2021

I hope the bus is well used, I might even have a ride myself one day.

Since travelling up on one of the summer Sunday services several years ago I have made many return visits to the town, and we have also had four spring breaks staying in the town. The bus  will be useful as part of a walking day out

cheers,

Edited by Rivercider
Grammar
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

the station car park at Okehampton has not been finished due to dormice

There are some things that you just couldn't make up! 

• Agree 3