TOBY

HI.  My grand children love driving Thomas & James round my layout at breakneck speed. I will absolutely not let them drive my Model Rail J70.

However they want a Toby. Looking at pictures on Ebay both the Hornby Toby & the Bachmann version look very high and I am concerned about my bridges.

Could somebody who knows please let me know how high the 2 Tobys are from rail level to top of the roof?

Many thanks

Roger

52 minutes ago, Gilwell Park said:

HI.  My grand children love driving Thomas & James round my layout at breakneck speed

It is possible [on most common controllers] to mechanically limit the maximum amount of throttle that can be applied.  when I made a small layout for my then-young son [pre-infants school age], I used a Gaugemaster controller.  I cross-drilled the knob, and inserted a suitable bit of stiff wire, which stuck out the side of the knob. Then screwed a screw partly into the casing at a suitable position, so that, when the knob was turned, the screw ated as a physical stop to the protruding wire.

The knob has a grub screw, which makes the whole set-up adjustable..to find a suitable maximum voltage.

I'm afraid my Hornby Toby is packed away and inaccessible at the moment. It is, however, enormous. I wouldn't be surprised if it were at least 1:64 scale, or even bigger. Lovely smooth, powerful runner though, and so may yet donate its chassis for a Smallbrook narrow gauge shunter. 

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Measured him now. Standing on a piece of standard settrack Toby measures 67mm to the top of his funnel including the track he is sitting on. 

And there was me thinking that the Bachmann Toby was tall. He's a positive midget compared to the Hornby one. The Bachmann one is a lovely runner.

On 17/02/2020 at 19:05, John M Upton said:

Measured him now. Standing on a piece of standard settrack Toby measures 67mm to the top of his funnel including the track he is sitting on. 

That's 16' 9"!!!!! Even allowing a scale foot or so for the track, that's just a tad over the correct dimension....  https://hmrs.org.uk/0-6-0t-tram-engine-class-c53-later-j70-3ft-1ins-diameter-wheels.html

And  https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/forum/j70-tram-locos-wisbech-and-upwell-tramway/?p=1/

How big is a 'tad'?  The drawing on the Hornby link shows a prototype height of 12' 11 1/4", which means that the model should be just shy of 52 mm in height.  Even deducting 4 mm for the track, that means that the Hornby model would be 63 mm, which is a whole 11 mm (2'9") too high.  That said, I think the body on the Hornby model also looks too wide, so I guess there could also be an issue of platform clearances.

• Agree 1

I was being sarcastic.... 

Why they considered it viable to make grossly overscale 'models' for a toy range, when a scale version would have pleased everybody I cannot imagine. I would probably have bought one myself!

• RMweb Premium

I think the (model) Toby in the earlier pre CGI series was grossly over scale as well.  Hooked up to any ventilated vans or Henrietta, it is obvious he towers way too high,