Class 44 livery - D4/44004 into blue

John Tomlinson

I admit to never noticing D4' s extra footsteps below the nose grilles and nose top handrails before - was the intention to make reaching the windscreens easier for cleaning? Any other Peaks so modified?

This despite getting my own (b&w Instamatic) photo of D4 at Toton on 26/7/70, also D6 with newly applied FYEs on green. On that day - this then Cornish spotter's one and only visit to the depot - D1-4/6-11 were present, D5 was away at Derby Works about to become the second BR blue Class 44 but I'd already bagged that one 8 months earlier so happy days! I also scored D12 later that day. My Class 44 wrap-up very nearly didn't happen - getting from Blackwater on the Reading-Redhill line to Toton and back by train and bus on a Sunday was an absolute nightmare!

Great photos by the way - modellers should note the neat alignment of BR arrows and running numbers, this commenced with XP64 D1733 and held firm on locos with cabside logos and bodyside numbers (positions reversed on some Class 47s) until around 1972 when standards began to slip.....

• RMweb Gold

We didnt notice those footsteps either Neil when we originally did our model - retro fit at one end, some foot holds that came with some Express Models telegraph poles but we hadnt used were perfect for the job - but only had enough for one end! I imagine you are correct - easier access to windscreens. But didnt see them on any other loco and guess the spread of OHLE meant management didnt want to encourage crews to be climbing up on locos...

And will check to ensure that our numbers align to the standards.....

Toton was special wasnt it? The walk from Long Eaton seemed a long way but well worth it. And we used to have a Midlands Runabout for a week most summers in the early 70s - a favourite day was just to travel around the Derby/Nottingham/Leicester triangle all day, would be guaranteed to see a few 1-10ers.

Happy days

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

They certainly explain the otherwise odd positioning of those cab side OHLE flashes - a clue I missed! Your suggested reason for D4 remaining unique sounds logical.

D6' s full yellow ends appeared to have been only just applied, the white stripes had been painted out but not the D prefixes - perhaps the painter had dived off for a quick cup of tea!

I first noticed those slipping standards on Deltic 9000 at Kings Cross in late '72, the numbers were too high. Many Class 40s became similarly defective around that time!