Hope, Bradwell and Castleton Light Railway

Hando

Hi all;

I am planning to build a small layout of a railway in the peak district, and I stumbled upon the proposed (albeit, never built) Hope, Bradwell and Castleton Light Railway. Does anyone have any exact details for the route of the line (i.e. maps etc.)? I already know the vague course of the line, but I do not know the specific route. Any information regarding this never constructed railway would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Alex

• Like 2

Railway proposals for Government approval usually included a map or maps showing the proposed route within certain limits either side so that the builder had a bit of leeway depending what was found when putting spade to earth. If the proposal was submitted and still exists it will probably be at the County Record Office at Matlock and will be available for you to study. Ask them nicely and they will even scan the maps for you (for a fee of course).

• Thanks 1

Isn't it funny how everyone knows that the GCR London Extension was 'the last main line railway' to be built (until HS1, I suppose) but I bet there are  very few of us realise how late the Dore-Chinley line was (1894). You (OK, I) would imagine it had been built much earlier). Didn't the Midland see any merit in linking their Leeds and Sheffield interests to Manchester on their own rails, or was the company just too focused on Derby as the centre of the universe?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Leander said:

Derbyshire Record Office is the place to look, not the National Archives.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/36cb9bcb-48ce-45b5-b67a-3208e1dc056e

National Archives also mention it in the catalogue of LROs held at Kew.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2214128

Looking at the details this may ne the same information as held at the Derbyshire CRO in Matlock.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lanchester said:

Isn't it funny how everyone knows that the GCR London Extension was 'the last main line railway' to be built (until HS1, I suppose) but I bet there are  very few of us realise how late the Dore-Chinley line was (1894). You (OK, I) would imagine it had been built much earlier). Didn't the Midland see any merit in linking their Leeds and Sheffield interests to Manchester on their own rails, or was the company just too focused on Derby as the centre of the universe?

The Midland had a triangular junction at Ambergate, so MR trains were still able to run between Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester on their own metals; it was just the case that the route was not so direct.