Gazbo

Bachmann Split Chassis Class 4 driving wheel sets

Brand new (Joined Yesterday - don't know where I'm going on here, so patince please guys, and thanks for the accept.)

Bachmann split chassis BR class 4 Driving wheels. I bought a mint looking, boxed, and second hand class 4. I've had it for a good while now, in storage,and apart from an initial motor test, and aware of it needing some work, it remained unused, but once I actually got round to some proper testing,I found the quartering was off by around 30 degrees, and three of the plastic centres were, as usual, coned out,catching the rods. I've since discovered this seems to be the norm with that particular range. So she was badly limping. During wheel removal for curing the usual plastic insert problems,I've discovered 3 or 4 destroyed motion mounting threads within the driving wheels. It looks like the previous owner had had a go, replaced the axles in the wrong order, then forced the screws where they shouldn't fit, and it also looks like he's glued some of the others into badly sloppy holes. 

Otherwise she's fine !!! haha.

The bodged screws weren't at all obvious until strip down.

I'd assumed it was simply a bad attempt at quartering(The wheels do twist quite easily in the hollow axles anyway) and once the plastic hubs were repaired, I thought she would be easily rectified. Due to the other issues, I now need a replacement driving wheel set, and probably 4 new "motion to wheelset" mounting screws.Problem is -  where to get a set from.Can't seem to find any. Peter's Spares only appear to have wheels on stock for the Non-Split Chassis versions. Any Ideas guys?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi Gazbo and welcome to RM Web.

Try East Kent Models in Maidstone for Bachmann spares. He produced a list recently which showed wheel sets for the Class 4 4-6-0 as still available.

Phone number is 07780 681405 but only seems to be manned between 11 to 3.  

To access the website just type in East Kent Models and search for the Bachmann list.

Jim

Hi there Gazbo,

Welcome. You say the wheels spin easily in the axles. If this is so then you do not have a Bachmann chassis but the original Mainline one. Or perhaps a Frankenstien version of the chassis of mixed parts.  Just to let you know all 3 chassis have the same fitting for the engine body and will fit the same body. The Bachmann chassis wheels have square posts that go into the axels not round pin type. So therefore they do not spin in the axles and the quartering is very easy to line up. But beware that there are 2 slightly different Bachmann chassis for this engine(this is only for the split chassis). The difference being that they increased the size of the axel in the later model from I believe 4mm to 4.5mm. The original Mainline axels are only 3mm in size. So you cannot just swap them out. I would use a micrometer and check the size of the axels to make sure you get the right wheel sets. One other way to check which chassis you have is if it says Hong Kong on the bottom plastic wheel retainer. This is I believe the earlier Bachmann chassis. Yes the warping of the plastic inserts for the wheel is more than common. I have 5 of the 4MT's and they all suffered from the same problem. The problem with the Mainline chassis that I think you have is that the wheel stubs that went into the axles were a pressure fit and while they were new and the plastic was able to grip them they worked fine. But as the plastic got older and expanded slightly due to age and oil the axles lost their grip and the wheels just spun in their holes on the axles. I personally think your best bet would be to buy a second hand chassis off Ebay and sort that one out if it had any issues.

Edited by cypherman

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:19, Gazbo said:

...Any ideas guys?...

Welcome to the madhouse.

Now, I will suggest taking the time to review. The simple fact about the Mainline, Replica and subsequent Bachmann split chassis steam loco mechanisms are that they are all short life, and especially so if run a lot, there's a pile of evidence here and elsewhere of owner experience to this effect. (Bachmann as good as acknowledged this before their range of split chassis product was discontinued, by selling complete replacement mechanisms.)

So a simple decision lies before you.

If you enjoy working on these older but typically good looking locos to keep them running, despite their limitations and no guarantee that all the spares you might require  will always be available off the shelf; then press on.

If you want locos that will run well long term with only minimal attention, mainly to lubrication; then put this one down to experience, and move on to the superior product now available.

Once you have sorted out what chassis you actually have I could be able to help out with spares. 

Post up a pic of the chassis and ideally the wheels you have showing the stub ends where they go into the plastic axles.

3D printed axles and gear are available for the later square pin versions and Peter's Spares do the older round pin ones. Pretty certain I have some spare wheels .....