00 Gauge Class 323

OTrail

I received some cast pantograph roof wells from him 2 weeks ago, but was waiting for two months. Have previously had some 313 bodies from him. 

He has disappeared and reappeared on ebay before in the past. I think he might be suffering from the fact he is attempting something outside of his normal job, and demand/workload keep overloading him. Have seen the same thing happen with other smaller suppliers who only do it as a side line. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

I received some cast pantograph roof wells from him 2 weeks ago, but was waiting for two months. Have previously had some 313 bodies from him. 

He has disappeared and reappeared on ebay before in the past. I think he might be suffering from the fact he is attempting something outside of his normal job, and demand/workload keep overloading him. Have seen the same thing happen with other smaller suppliers who only do it as a side line. 

And that is really understandable, I just don’t know why things are marked as dispatched when they clearly aren’t. 

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2020 at 22:46, adb968008 said:

looking at my history, 26th May ordered, delivered 3rd June.

I did have a follow question about the window etchings, he responded same day, that was June 21st.

He did what he said on the tin, so I cant complain from the service & delivery.

I agree, previous communications were good and responses quick.

Keep us updated @Wild Boar Fell, my first was marked posted 4 weeks ago.

Just now, JDW said:

I agree, previous communications were good and responses quick.

Keep us updated @Wild Boar Fell, my first was marked posted 4 weeks ago.

It has literally just turned up, only posted yesterday. So hopefully yours might be on its way soon.

Mine was one of the factory seconds, not in too bad a condition, a bit of warpage but can hopefully cure that with a bit of hot water. Thinking of using a modified 156 chassis to give it strength.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

It has literally just turned up, only posted yesterday. So hopefully yours might be on its way soon.

Mine was one of the factory seconds, not in too bad a condition, a bit of warpage but can hopefully cure that with a bit of hot water. Thinking of using a modified 156 chassis to give it strength.

I hope not, I'm not in!

I wouldn't use a 156 chassis as there's little left in the middle once you remove the underframe box. A 153 chassis would be better.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, JDW said:

I hope not, I'm not in!

I wouldn't use a 156 chassis as there's little left in the middle once you remove the underframe box. A 153 chassis would be better.

My original plan was to use a 166 chassis I had spare but unfortunately it didn’t quite fit.

Another option I’m considering is constructing new ones out of plasticard but I may give the 153 a go as I have a few spare.

Just checked my Ebay.

They have refunded me the purchase price of my kit from modernmultipleunits2019.

He presumably has not responded to their request for postal details.

Sad, I obviously wanted the class 309 kit & was happy to support his work as I had seen the reviews in this the RM web

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And after a couple of days of limited internet access I checked my emails just after posting my last message to see that my second one has been marked as posted. No news on the first one still though.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, amwells said:

And that is really understandable, I just don’t know why things are marked as dispatched when they clearly aren’t. 

That may be a bit of an ebay quirk. Printing a postage label marks an item as dispatched, not physically taking the item to the post office. I hate it doing that, but have not found a way of stopping it. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had a message via Ebay saying that both have been dispatched, in two parcels (but mixed - not one unit in each) so clearly the initial notification of having been posted was incorrect as per some of the commets above. No apology or acknowledgement of the delay/lack of information, and the message in capitals, but it seems at least there has been some positive progress.

Hopefully they'll both arrive soon. 

Edited by JDW

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2020 at 21:46, adb968008 said:

mine arrived safely, but the kits themselves are a bit... er ho-hum to say the least.

They are a job for a lot of long winters nights to make something good from them, but its definitely a step up from the scratch building alternative, not for the faint hearted or instant gratifications seekers, this is lots of work, just to get each of the three coach parts in true, in shape, aligned, filled and looking like a single coach is going to be a joy.

well, mine did turn up today which is great. 

having opened the box, @adb968008 has put it better than I could. A lot of work ahead on these. I know modelling is fun, I really enjoy it when I have the time... I’m just not sure I’ll have enough time to do as much as is needed on these!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've posted on my workbench thread, but for those who might not see it, my two units arrived, well packed and undamaged. Despite the delay, I'm happy with the model itself, although as has been said above the halves were somewhat warped at the 'open' end, it would have been a good idea to design them with a couple of braces across the bottom at floor level to keep them square. with a bit of filing, the two halves seem to come together OK but will of course need the joine re-inforcing. I plan to use strips of square or L brass section along the full length of the vehicle at floor level, to give strength and hopefully keep them from bowing at the bottom. I might add one at cantrail height too if I think it needs it. Obviously some filing will be needed too around the joint, but at least the smooth sides make for easy filing and sanding. 

I didn't find print lines to be too bad, and an hour or so of work with a soft sanding block has gotten rid of most of them. Pics are on my thread for anyone who wants a closer look. My only concern with the model itself is that the window line seems a tad low and the doors a little squat, but that may just be because it is in unpainted plain grey, which can make it hard to judge. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m currently in the midst of building one of Andys 3d print class 323 kits. Arrived 3 weeks ago & so far so good. All arrived safe & sound , bodyshells are the EP test print ones & the halves went together very well, super glue & milliput. Decided to put her into the latest Northern livery , humbrol 130 satin & some DRS blue ( nyon a full tin left over from the class 88 conversion job ) Trusty mix of Lufthansa yellow & trainer matt yellow for the ends. Had some res grey left over & lightened that down a touch for the roof. Pantograph is off a Jouef Eurostar / 3d print insulator pots off a guy on Facebook & some plastic card. It’s been a nice build so car &it should produce a great looking model. I was going to do a 319/769 but the 323 jumped the queue. 

62EF866D-595A-4D68-8072-5C538300527C.jpeg

C06CE55E-327E-4F35-AC39-7C267147C415.jpeg

366E84E4-DA46-4FB6-A030-9325CF170C77.jpeg

D1360FCB-360E-4D52-BD63-41A7811D336A.jpeg

47A10920-CB56-4377-9808-9CBE205DBF46.jpeg

10537CD1-B906-4382-95CC-395A9DBCC0EC.jpeg

D4E7414B-50D9-49F4-884B-1E48B60E9AD8.jpeg

6A640F3F-72A8-49D3-B171-A182DE3EB9CC.jpeg

107D5252-A36B-4BD2-A2A7-198D2022D8BE.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Luciton St James said:

I’m currently in the midst of building one of Andys 3d print class 323 kits. Arrived 3 weeks ago & so far so good. All arrived safe & sound , bodyshells are the EP test print ones & the halves went together very well, super glue & milliput. Decided to put her into the latest Northern livery , humbrol 130 satin & some DRS blue ( nyon a full tin left over from the class 88 conversion job ) Trusty mix of Lufthansa yellow & trainer matt yellow for the ends. Had some res grey left over & lightened that down a touch for the roof. Pantograph is off a Jouef Eurostar / 3d print insulator pots off a guy on Facebook & some plastic card. It’s been a nice build so car &it should produce a great looking model. I was going to do a 319/769 but the 323 jumped the queue. 

D1360FCB-360E-4D52-BD63-41A7811D336A.jpeg

D4E7414B-50D9-49F4-884B-1E48B60E9AD8.jpeg

Looks good so far, it appears to have the same bow in the sides as mine (see my Workbench thread). If you're going to correct that you might want to do it sooner than later, as I found that a few small hairline cracks appeared that needed filling after I heated it in water and straightened it. 

Overall I've found it fine and am happy with it (I wouldn't have a 323 at all if it weren't for the kit), but besides the bow in the sides, I've also found myself increasing the door height and moving the gutters up by about 2mm, and also filling the rebate above where the bogies go as the bottom of the bodyside is level with the bottom of the doors all the way along.

Something else to be aware of is that the strengthening plate below the doors is too long and will likely foul the bogies. It should only run about one third of the width of the saloon window above it. The bogie centre is pretty much under the centre of the middle window.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve still been bashing away at the underframe...

Not been an easy job given the lack of parts available for this kit but I’ve finally found hope in the form of the Bachmann Class 166. This has been a good source of parts in terms of chassis and underframe equipment - not bad for a £40 redundant project off EBay a few years ago!

Current photos of my progress on the DMSO:

94D4C64E-648F-4314-8886-64AD91403BC9.jpeg

5EAB97D0-7B8F-415E-9BAF-4FE05115E10E.jpeg

FECF823C-8097-4878-81B8-A66203E42793.jpeg

438517F7-AF25-4B15-8C8C-019AB434C727.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did see these on eBay, but the timing was bad with Furlough. However, when I went back, his whole eBay Shop had disappeared.

I have a few items off this supplier, including a complete Class 313, which is built and running. As the 313 was released piecemeal, delivery times did vary, but were usually within a month. Whilst communicating with him, he mentioned that he was going to abandon eBay, due to their costs, and set up his own web shop. Has he done this and if so, does anyone have a link to it?

2 hours ago, JDW said:

Last time I looked (last week some time), he was back on ebay after his house-move

Thanks JDW. Just looked and ordered one. Let's see how long it takes to arrive!

My version will be an original condition Centro liveried unit, as I first saw them at New Street and around the Midlands.

Just an update on my Class 323 order. Ordered on Thursday, as noted above, and was delivered Monday!  Can't complain at that and with a weekend inbetween!

Guess the supplier is back to normal after his house move and maybe others on here just experienced a temporary glitch.

Look forward to building this and the release of the other items needed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not 323 related but I placed an order for some parts from him on eBay and a little over a month later they still haven’t turned up despite being marked as dispatched. I placed another other last week with a ‘make an offer’ option. Said offer was accepted which I understand has to be done manually but no response to my messages. I’m reluctant to open a dispute but it’s becoming a bit frustrating. Does anyone have any contact with him?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2022 at 23:35, Wolf27 said:

Not 323 related but I placed an order for some parts from him on eBay and a little over a month later they still haven’t turned up despite being marked as dispatched. I placed another other last week with a ‘make an offer’ option. Said offer was accepted which I understand has to be done manually but no response to my messages. I’m reluctant to open a dispute but it’s becoming a bit frustrating. Does anyone have any contact with him?

Donkt know if this is resolved but just to say that on ebay you can set offers to be automatically accepted if they are over a particular value.

Roy

• Agree 1