Identifying a decoder in a loco.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I've got a few inherited locos with Decoders fitted with no identity available. If I use my NCE Power Cab to do  a Programme Track search and it identifies the Decoder Number then two numbers come up. What are the meaning of those numbers please? It is usually a three digit number and then a two digit number, and how can I find out which Decoder it is (e.g. Zimo or [say] Hattons' own). Is there some sort of ID list somewhere? Many thanks. 

Phil

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Decoder Pro also has the exact type of decoder plus the manufacturer ID.

If only, it will usually get the manufacturer, but often offers a selection of decoders, it's rare it will tell you the exact decoder.

Cheers

Dave

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DaveArkley said:

If only, it will usually get the manufacturer, but often offers a selection of decoders, it's rare it will tell you the exact decoder.

That's not a criticism of DecoderPro.

It's due to the iimited information that manufacturers embed in the decoder. Any list of CV7/8 vaues or any system will have exactly the same problem with version numbers reused across a range of decoders.

Some makes will have more info in manufacturer specific standard CVs which DecoderPro can access. Other systems may not be so intelligent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200545039-Manufacturer-ID-listing

Wonderful tool google :)

Other lists are available.

Thanks. Thought I would try here first as you lot are so knowledgeable.  having just looked this is the NCE site that I neve thought of looking at so many thanks again. So much info on there that I never knew about.

Edited by Mallard60022

CV8 will give you the manufacturer but unless that manufacturer publishes the meaning of the values seen in CV7 you are stuck. JMRI as stated will if the decoder profile has been listed translate CV7 into a meaningful ID.