Sausage Cars - Voitures Saucisson

sncf231e

The French Etat railway made some passenger cars without a frame but with a round self supporting body that because of their shape were called "voitures saucisson" or sausage cars. Not many models of these cars are made, but already in the fifties both BLZ and JEP made models of the sausages, which were of course in that period a bit simple:

P1150510.JPG.f8256a07e220fbee4c3f13bfdfda401a.JPGP1150508.JPG.a91814038f6d75c06ee7b2e870788253.JPG

This afternoon I ran a BLZ and a JEP train with these cars and matching locomotives:

Regards

Fred

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Am I correct in thinking that SNCF had used them in the 1955 speed-record runs?

No, that were not these sausage cars but the so called DEV cars. The end car of the speed record train did have a streamlined end.

REE Models makes a model in H0, pictured here:

image.png.61244a3067054f39e6b3537c1c9434bb.png

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e

8 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Graffiti "artists" clearly have no appreciation for real art.

Apart from the graffiti, sad to see that the preservationists do not have the resources to look after this wonderful carriage properly. Where was the photo taken?

The coach is at Parcy-Sur-Eure, just drove through the town, saw the collection of rolling stock in the station and had to stop...the family still believe I planned it!

More info here...

https://www.inspirock.com/france/pacy-sur-eure/chemin-de-fer-de-la-vallee-de-l-eure-a1274644811

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have just signed up here and this will be my first post so forgive me if I'm unsure of the protocol required!

I intend to try and create a 3D print of les voiture saucisson for my layout. However I cannot find a good set of general arrangement diagrams of these vehicles apart from the link provided by @sncf231e  above. (Thanks.) My layout scenario is not French (it is trying to be in White Russia during the Great Patriotic War) but these are such beautiful Art Deco coaches that I just have to create them. I can always use the excuse that they were requisitioned and sent east as a lot of SNCF rolling stock was.

I am aware that OL.D Modèles have already designed and printed these models in N Scale but they are 'Out of Stock' and I'm unsure if they would produce these models again. The bodies do not have running gear which would require 'Pennsylvania' bogies.

It will take some time to create the design for 3D Printing especially with the complex curves of the bodyshell. I use Openscad for design and print on a Prusa MK3S+ FDM printer (I havn't mastered resin printing yet!). I have a few designs published on Thingiverse already (free to use and adapt)  under the username pemberton_a if of any interest!

Thanks in advance, Tony

Edited by apemberton
Attributed wrong person, sorry

this has got me interested again. still can't find any more drawings, but this page suggests more than 3 types of coach, although bodies might have been used for different types. The drawing is for a 1st class with 8 comartments, The 2nd class I thinkhas 10, so assuming windos aree same size it should b possible to work that out, otherwise needs more workusing photos. The end/brake is a mixed(composite) but windows look eveny spaced suggesting compartments are all same size.

info page

The designs would not be that diffcult to do(famous last words!!), as they are basically a tube with flat ends. The end /brake coach would be only one which would be tricky, getting those curves to combine OK.

Given that the end profile for the coaches is in drawing, I am surprised there are no side drawings for the other coaches.

I also cannot find other drawings. As far as I understand there were 4 body types. 8 windows (first), 10 windows (second), 5 window/bagage (second) and 6 window/bagage (first). But maybe the last two had the same body? Here is a picture of a 6 window/bagage

image.png.2e67b6f58d4ae764bd2a228095b83a0d.png

Here is a French thread with some model and prototype pictures about building these cars in H0: https://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16864

Regards

Fred

Thanks for your help. The photos in the thread linked by @sncf231e above can be useful though why the thread originator threw a hissy fit - who knows! :scratchhead:

The monocoque bodyshell must have been a real innovation at the time!

Are there any archives that are accessible for the official diagrams? Does the Cité du Train have archives similar to those available through the NRM or national archives?

I will have a go at drafting the design from the diagram but it will take some time to get something looking realistic - curves are for an artist but not wonderful for CAD!

Tony

on checking what I had found, I noticed there was an article in Le Train 245/246 2008, with another drawing. This time it was a buffet car, but sde view looks identical to standard 2nd class coach(ten windows). Will need to look carefully at plan view to determine if windows are different on other side behind buffet couter.

Only seen photos of second class end coach.Had not realised one window was actually in baggage section. Would seem odd to have same windos/compartments in first class version, as that would mean less leg room for 1st class passengers! Having said that I think 3rd class and 2nd class had same sized compartments.

I did find this yesterday

http://old-modeles.mozello.com/store/category/echelle-n-1160eme/voitures-voyageurs--wagons/

I am now wondering about 1st class baggage coach, as I think the version here is the 1st class one, as it looks like 8 windows minus 1. Other models seen online seem to have 9 windows, ie 10 minus 1.