When did the Stars begin receiving 4000 gallon tenders?

On 17/03/2020 at 07:56, M.I.B said:

Straight pipes are easy to add from Evergreen tube and sheet.    Sadly I don't know of a way of making elbow equivalents from scratch.

Any use?

Mike Wiltshireelbows.jpg.d142a69d5fd84195eeb7b07e9c8b68a4.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie

12 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Where did they come from Mike?  They look like they could work.

Removed from a Hornby Star. I rename/number mine and one was never fitted with OS steam pipes, so I removed them and filled the hole.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike - i will look to see if it has a part number via Peter's and see if we could order them as units via a trader such as Peters.

2 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Thanks Mike - i will look to see if it has a part number via Peter's and see if we could order them as units via a trader such as Peters.

You can have these. Found them at the bottom of the spares- probably never to be used box.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium
On 16/03/2020 at 19:08, JimC said:

I'm not sure that question has a reasonable answer. You can certainly identify a given Star with a given tender at a given date, but I don't think you can say that any particular variation was especially associated with the class over another. Possibly the high sided type, but there were never huge numbers of those. Then to make matters more complicated there were a good number of Swindon works bitsas, where later style frames were put under earlier style tanks and so on. Miss Prism and I were recently musing over tender no 1560, which is conventionally called a Dean 4,000 gallon and was built in 1903 to run with Saint prototype no 98 (so under Churchward). However in the early 1930s it got a major rebuild, and was fitted with 1931 style 'Collett' frames and a "Collett" style wrap around fender, but retained handrails and the like to the original style.

For the 3,500 gallon tender I have been given an old Bachmann tender (as used behind their 43xx and Manor I presume) . Will have a go at "T cutting" the BR emblem of it and removing buffer beams etc.

• RMweb Premium

You may be better off carefully using a glass fibre pencil on the emblems.  I have now changed to this method from using Tcut.

The ex Mainline 3500 gallon tenders (2251/Manor/Mogul)  don't usually come with markings on the tender buffer beams.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, M.I.B said:

You may be better off carefully using a glass fibre pencil on the emblems.  I have now changed to this method from using Tcut.

The ex Mainline 3500 gallon tenders (2251/Manor/Mogul)  don't usually come with markings on the tender buffer beams.

Thanks I'll try that instead of the Tcut. No its a BR tender so there is nothing on the buffer beams.

I was thinking cutting off the bufferbeams and steps and transplanting this onto my Hornby Star's tender body