Painting Sea Containers

regme

Hi

I recently 3D printed some sea contains in HO scale, I was going to paint them in LINFOX colours.  Since I do not a have smooth surface in which to place a decal and masking for painting may not come out that good.  Is there another way to place logos onto an uneven surface.

Cheers

Guest Half-full
4 hours ago, regme said:

Hi

I recently 3D printed some sea contains in HO scale, I was going to paint them in LINFOX colours.  Since I do not a have smooth surface in which to place a decal and masking for painting may not come out that good.  Is there another way to place logos onto an uneven surface.

Cheers

FIrstly make sure the area to be decaled has a gloss finish, place the transfer in place getting it centred, then use a product such as Microsol/DecalSoft etc

There a some good YouTube tutorials on using these, the main thing you need is patience!

Try priming with a heavy body or filler primer, depending on the quality of the print that may be sufficient, otherwise lightly sand back with very fine, at least 1200 grit, wet and dry (used wet), they prime again. 

Repeat until surfaces are smooth, then paint. Remember to apply many thin layers, and use the paints self leveling properties to your advantage. 

Edited by Snowdon Ranger

Sorry, I should have post a pic of the container.  If I use the Decalsoft will that allow me to push the decal into the grooves.  I would have to start from the centre of the decal and out work with a brush would be my guess.

_MG_1981w.jpg