Branch Line Terminus in Restricted Space Help Needed

JST

Just been up for another play and put a 4cm straight in.  The tape measure is where I think the platform can end and the line to line centre is 10cm = 6cm wide platform. It soon opens up to 12cm = 8cm platform. The wrong way round LH point is to fill in for the RH point I don't yet have.

GnBKmLgl.jpg

And here is what it does to the bay track

ukr3GXyl.jpg

On 01/03/2020 at 13:39, JST said:

3 This one is a bit off the wall which you may rule out of court straight away. Looking at DavidCBroad's first photo of Kingswear, there is a spur coming back off the bay. What would be the practical, visual or prototypical effect by doing the same on Fernhead and joining it to the  goods siding using a long point and thus creating a run around for goods trains?

John

The spur now terminates in a support for the bus stop above(!) but used to serve carriage sidings and a turntable.    If you modelled it no one other than a GWR fan would think it was prototypical as only around 5 or 6 carriages could be shunted at a time.   see drawing.

Screenshot (213)a.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that. I have now binned the idea and gone back to Harlequin's original plan with the exception of the small straight after the long point. Without it I don't think I could have fitted the two points motors next to each other.

The latest trial fit seems to work out fine with the platform so I just need to work out how long the bay should be and what to do with the space at the station end left by a shorter bay.

I am not sure what I have done wrong as the measurements of the placing of the long right and the curved right are in line with harlequin's plan but it seems as the reverse curve is not needed in the loop as the placement of a straight Tracsketta shows.

jcSS3J4l.jpg

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

So having binned any silly ideas I may have had, I returned to Harlequin's original design and executed it as best I can. The only small change I made was the addition of the short straight bit to aid points fitting. I have not yet done the goods yard due to the aforementioned medium right points shortage but that should be straightforward. Also I will need to shorten the bay track but I will wait until I have electrics running so I can play with the ABC shuttle setting and see what length bay I can get away with.

Overall I am very happy with the outcome and hope that Harlequin is not too upset with what I have done with his amazing design.

R4DFegil.jpg

2GWXptml.jpg

knw96aWl.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the last pair of points arrived so I have completed the design with the small goods yard. All points motors and decoders are installed so I can crack on with ballasting, scenics, platform building etc.... oh.. and making some fake catch points for the two goods sidings!

1WyXzFyl.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Lockdown has given me a bit more time to make some progress....

Waiting for the station building interior bits/furniture before putting the roof on. Harlequin was quite right about the platform dimensions .. it looks fine to me!

pimZlCEl.jpg

Getting the platform clearance to an acceptable degree proved tricky but it works fine.

IyHN6Url.jpg

The curved bit of platform was not straightforward but I am happy with the outcome. I am not sure what I did wrong with my measuring but I find I can run a loco round seven coaches!  Result!

NaRf6msl.jpg

I am now thinking about signalling and would like to use motorised semaphores. This tends to mean Dapol signals but what to use and how to do it. I would like a starter sign for the bay and main platform but where to put them? There is not enough space to place one left of the main platform line so do I put  both signals at the end of the platform? Any views appreciated.

Edited by JST
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If you decide you have no choice but to use the Dapol signals the solution is fairly straightforward - the one for the main platform could go at the foot of the platform ramp provided it is clear of the fouling point (+ a little bit) which ensures it will be visible along a fair part pf the platform length.  The signal for the other platform will have to stand somewhere to the right of it - basically wherever a suitable interval between lines can be found although that might bring o it back a bit from the platform end.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think you've got the platform length and curve exactly right! It was designed to allow a 4-6-0 to stand alongside the platform with 6 coaches behind it, all inside the run round loop without fouling the points ahead so that other traffic can get past. The water crane would be positioned on the platform just alongside where the tender would stand.

If you went with that 6-coach restriction, then a beautiful double-bracket signal could stand on the platform just before (or maybe on) the ramp, providing the starters for both platforms. You could plant a non-operational Ratio signal (or scratch built or 3D printed signal if my idea works) until such time as Dapol produce one...?

Edited by Harlequin

Thanks Phil. It is reassuring to know I have not made a complete bog of your design.

The more I think about it the more I think you are right about the double bracket signal on the end of the platform. Dapol have produced a motorised junction bracket signal so maybe what I want is not far off. I will ask Dapol! 

I also need to get a water crane.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You probably also need a Home signal with a directing bracket to route traffic into the main platform and the bay respectively. And ground discs in various places.

All subject to approval by the Stationmaster, of course.

(The Dapol signals are a bit chunky and not very detailed, by the way.)

• RMweb Gold

I some how suspect that the chances of Dapol producing a suitable balanced(ish) bracket signal for the platform starters is a very way long way off - hence my suggestion to use what they do produce.  And what they do produce can be used perfectly realistically - probably more so than a large balanced(ish) bracket because although they were around they were not the most common way of doing the job at a station of this size.

The Home Signal could quite readily be a Dapol left hand bracket signal with a co-located double ground disc (easily created from a Ratio kit).  A single disc could be used to read out of each of the two lots of sidings and ytou might be able to add an advance starting signal without making things look too much like a forest of signals but it's not too important if you can't.   The Ratio Highley signal box is just about the right size for this track layout and signalling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for this Mike. I will follow your esteemed advice. One question though, what is the function of the co-located double ground disc, where exactly should it be placed and facing which way? Sorry to be dense about such things but I want to get it right. I understand, however, your point about the single ground position signals for the sidings. I am also working on making some fake catch points! 

I must have been reading your mind as I already have the Ration signal box ready for my wife to assemble!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JST said:

Thanks for this Mike. I will follow your esteemed advice. One question though, what is the function of the co-located double ground disc, where exactly should it be placed and facing which way? Sorry to be dense about such things but I want to get it right. I understand, however, your point about the single ground position signals for the sidings. I am also working on making some fake catch points! 

I must have been reading your mind as I already have the Ration signal box ready for my wife to assemble!

The disc would sit on the ground next to the bracket signal with the white/red stripe face of the disc showing towards something approaching the bracket signal from the fiddle yard.  Some people have made these little discs workable - perhaps a challenge for your good lady ;) 

If she intends to put a lever frame in teh signal box she needs to have the correct number of levers in the correct colours of course - and obviously in the right order in the lever frame - a helpful note would be available should you  she  wish ;) 

• Informative/Useful 1

Could the bay starter be placed to the right of the siding to give it enough room as per the Kingswear example earler in the thread? The Kingswear starter is beyond the run round loop rather than a siding, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference. It would greatly improve visibility from the GWR driving position, especially given the curve.

Edited by clachnaharry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

If she intends to put a lever frame in teh signal box she needs to have the correct number of levers in the correct colours of course - and obviously in the right order in the lever frame - a helpful note would be available should you  she  wish ;) 

I do indeed have a signal box interior kit including lever frame. However, I may be pushing my luck telling her to get the number of levers, colours and order right. In fact, I just tried it - "re-arrange these two words into a well known phrase or saying" came the pithy reply! :D

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Just a bit of an update to show I have not been totally idle. I have done some work on the loco shed area (still loads to do) and the approach to Fernhead out of the tunnel. I have managed to squeeze in a level crossing for the road going to the goods shed. In the other direction it goes into a road tunnel behind the loco shed. As far as the place where I could not mount a points motor below the base board goes,  I opted for a Hornby motor and one of their "sheds" to hide it. Needs painting but it is OK. I built the Ration signal box but didn't like it so "kit bashed" into a ramshackle coaling stage. OK, so it's not great but I love it. Awaiting the return to work by Metcalfe to I can have one of their small GWR signal boxes.

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FERNHEAD?

Time has moved on so I thought I would post an update on what has happened in this little corner of my layout. I am still immensely grateful to Harlequin and others on this forum for the help that has resulted in a bit of my layout I love operating. So, if it is raining and you want to waste 15 minutes of your life, here is a light hearted little video of life at Fernhead.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

You've been busy! :smile_mini:

There's a really great photo of St Ives in the FB group "Everything Great Western" today. Summer Saturday peak time with a 10 coach train at the platform and 2 prairies at the head. Have you tried double-heading? My limited experience of "consists" in DCC is that they are a right pain!

Can I ask what sound decoders are in your Grange and your Mogul with whose projects?

And sorry, just one more question, what software do you use to make your videos?

Hi Phil,

I will have a look at the St Ives photo thanks.

Yes, consists can be a pain but I do occasionally use them (I have two 3 car DMUs which I link - and they fit in Fernhead!). I use Hornby Railmaster Pro which I find is good for doing consists as it makes speed matching a lot easier via Cruise and Shunt speed settings which you can change on the fly.

The Grange has  a Loksound decoder with Olivias Trains sound and the Mogul has Dapol factory fitted sound. On the latter, I worked out that it was just as cheap to buy the loco with factory sound as it was to do it myself.

My video making skills are a tad lacking so I just use IMovie that came pre loaded on my iMac.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1