Layer delimitation issue

• RMweb Premium

I've borrowed a Qidi tech x-pro printer to play with for a few days. Having completed a couple of prints I am having some delimitation issues. I have tried upping the print temperature but this does not seem to have solved the issue. Any suggestions?

968010449_IMG_1308(1).jpeg.8b4ef9d831414538300677f426007d19.jpeg50142756_IMG_1309(1).jpeg.4bba4c4e33e407cb79fecc8c313f2150.jpeg1256279405_IMG_1310(1).jpeg.b6038c324a957d08aab38d61db98f193.jpeg1374824607_IMG_1311(1).jpeg.298387e1344cd9e9bd37be18205a5312.jpeg

Edited by Kris
Larger images inserted

• RMweb Premium

Generally - wherever you are printing is too cold. Point is made on a few 3D print forums, this gives a good description -

Cool environmental conditions are the single biggest contributor to delamination. Delamination or edge/corner cracking is caused by warping stresses when the first layer adhesion is stronger than the interlayer bonding. Or it happens when the heated build plate allows a strong non-warping foundation to be built until the print is too tall to be adequately warmed by the plate. In either case, the corners of the first layer can't lift, so the print cracks elsewhere to relieve the stress.

Other possible issues are under extrusion which could be a sticky / jamming spool or the feed mechanism needing a service.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It's not in the warmest of rooms, but it is also not in the coldest either, however it may be in a draft. 

I wonder if it would help to increase the build plate temperature. 

Kris, I really want to see those structures print well -- looks amazing!  I'm not familiar with the Qidi tech x-pro you're using, but is it enclosed already?  You may still want to try putting a large carton over the whole shebang to insulate it thermally and to stop drafts while printing.  I'd guess your build plate is warm enough because the lowermost layers aren't delaminating -- make sure the plate heater isn't turning off?  Failing all that, breaking the model into smaller chunks for printing sometimes helps.  gl!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Any way to put a hood over it? I have a clear plastic storage box I use as a hood on the top of my Ultimaker and cover the front aperture when I am printing with ABS which is particularly heat sensitive.

• RMweb Premium

The bed appears warm to touch after the printing has completed so I guess that it is working. I have set it to 60 but without checking this with a temperature probe I don't actually know if it is reaching the correct level. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm just starting with an Aldi printer and I had some similar problems. One reason I found given on a website was absorbed waterin the  fibre, suggesting it should be stored in a dehumidifier, if the printer is normally in a humid area.

Hth

Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, unravelled said:

I'm just starting with an Aldi printer and I had some similar problems. One reason I found given on a website was absorbed waterin the  fibre, suggesting it should be stored in a dehumidifier, if the printer is normally in a humid area.

Hth

Dave

Thanks for that, I was not aware of it. In this case the fibre was new and sealed with packs of gel. 

• RMweb Premium

Well, there have been improvements, particularly with the latest print that I have done of the church, at a higher base plate temperature and with slightly thicker walls does not seem to have suffered from delamionation. 

• Like 1